If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
We were due. This team will absolutely dominate this league in the next two years. Excited to see what the next few weeks holds. Glad to see IW back. I think he will be a force in years to come. I hope his attitude stays positive as he earns his minutes back.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Hey it was doubt until you prove it against them and it finally happened. The stupid feed was so terrible that i quit and went to radio for 2nd half.

That shot reminded me of the laettner play a whole lot. Unreal. That has about a 2 percent chance of being executed. Either way great win. Hopefully we can build off this and get at least 2 of the last 3.

Side note. That home loss against longwood is just brutal.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:What a play by Scottie James with only 1.4 seconds! McDowell had an amazing baseball pass to James.
Another Sports center nominee for Liberty?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Great to see Williams back in the rotation. With him and a healthy Cabbil hopefully we’ll see that defense we saw last year and the beginning of this season.

Offense looked good for the most part. Still a few lazy passes. Finally got over the Asheville bump!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Very good win and a great OT. Good to see the guys play well, overall. Still don't understand why we do some of the things we do, such as not putting rebounders around the lane when we shoot free throws and releasing everyone but James on a shot. But I do think McKay probably has a reason. I noticed UVA does some of that as well. Maybe something statistical? Nice to see a big win on the road.

Glad to see so many here agree about their announcers. They were the dumbest and funniest I have ever heard. Only Woody Durham would come close. 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If you missed "the pass," here is video of it:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 8&teamID=6

Keegan got the pass so low in the paint that Scottie didn't even need to dribble for the layup. :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
McDowell may have unintentionally earned himself the copycat nickname of "Buckshot". Personally I like "the Irish rifle"
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Win out and we will be the 3 seed. Radford could tie for 3rd, and we would have split the head to head games, but our 3-1 record against UNCA and WU would give us the next tie breaker.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:McDowell may have unintentionally earned himself the copycat nickname of "Buckshot". Personally I like "the Irish rifle"
Me like. :D
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote:Win out and we will be the 3 seed. Radford could tie for 3rd, and we would have split the head to head games, but our 3-1 record against UNCA and WU would give us the next tie breaker.
If we can get the 3-seed and make a run to the finals, I think we'd all be very happy with this season and excited for next year.
By LUDad
flameshaw wrote:Still don't understand why we do some of the things we do, such as not putting rebounders around the lane when we shoot free throws and releasing everyone but James on a shot. But I do think McKay probably has a reason. I noticed UVA does some of that as well. Maybe something statistical?
I think it's all about controlling the pace of the game/not allowing easy fast break points. Make the other team work for every shot and get them frustrated into putting up bad shots and keep them out of their rhythm. James, I think, is the outlier. He has shown such a talent in grabbing the offensive rebound/tipins that it's worth it to allow him to hang back and be disruptive on that end of the court. Otherwise, they would all be getting back. Naturally, if we had the athletes that UVA has it could be different.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Still don't understand why we do some of the things we do, such as not putting rebounders around the lane when we shoot free throws and releasing everyone but James on a shot. But I do think McKay probably has a reason. I noticed UVA does some of that as well. Maybe something statistical?
I think it's all about controlling the pace of the game/not allowing easy fast break points. Make the other team work for every shot and get them frustrated into putting up bad shots and keep them out of their rhythm. James, I think, is the outlier. He has shown such a talent in grabbing the offensive rebound/tipins that it's worth it to allow him to hang back and be disruptive on that end of the court. Otherwise, they would all be getting back. Naturally, if we had the athletes that UVA has it could be different.
I agree, but even with the athletes UVA has, they tend to drop back into the pack line on most missed shots. It's just so much easier for an opponent to get a good look when they have a temporary advantage in numbers, even if they can't get to the rim. Scottie has shown he can get his share of putbacks crashing the boards alone.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
olldflame wrote:Win out and we will be the 3 seed. Radford could tie for 3rd, and we would have split the head to head games, but our 3-1 record against UNCA and WU would give us the next tie breaker.
If we can get the 3-seed and make a run to the finals, I think we'd all be very happy with this season and excited for next year.
I agree, although getting that close to the big dance and losing (especially a close game) would hurt. I would add that if that scenario played out, we would certainly get a post season bid, probably to the CIT, where I would like our chances to make a run.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]