If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Gardner-Webb University
Boiling Springs, North Carolina

G-W Hoops Official Site

Tim Craft
4th Season as G-W Head Coach

2016-2017 Schedule/Results:
  • Overall ...... 12-14
    Big South ... 6-6
    Road ......... 2-11

NOV 01 - 7:00 PM - WOFFORD (Exhibition) .............. W 82-70
    NOV 10 - 8:00 PM - @ #12 MIAMI .............................. L 45-77
    NOV 13 - 7:00 PM - @ #7 FLORIDA ............................ L 74-116
    NOV 15 - 7:00 PM - @ UCF ........................................ L 65-68
    NOV 18 - 3:00 PM - WARREN WILSON ...................... W 119-81
    NOV 21 - 4:30 PM - BREVARD ................................... W 93-70

2017 WRIGHT STATE TOURNAMENT in DAYTON, OH
    NOV 24 - 7:00 PM - @ WRIGHT STATE ....................... L 47-67
    NOV 25 - 2:30 PM - vs. FAIRFIELD .............................. L 64-75
    NOV 26 - 1:00 PM - vs. JACKSONVILLE ....................... L 99-106

DEC 02 - 3:00 PM - USC UPSTATE .............................. W, 87-66
    DEC 06 - 8:00 PM - @ AUBURN .................................. L 55-80
    DEC 09 - 12:30 PM - @ MARYLAND ............................ L 60-82
    DEC 17 - 2:30 PM - @ HAMPTON UNIVERSITY ........... W 80-79
    DEC 20 - 11:00 AM - TOCCOA FALLS .......................... W 102-41
    DEC 30 - 4:30 PM - LIBERTY* .................................... W 58-55
    JAN 03 - 7:00 PM - @ CAMPBELL* ............................ W 82-80
    JAN 06 - 2:00 PM - @ LONGWOOD* .......................... L 73-79
    JAN 09 - 7:00 PM - HIGH POINT* ............................. W 62-45
    JAN 12 - 7:00 PM - RADFORD* ................................. W 59-54
    JAN 15 - 7:00 PM - @ WINTHROP* ........................... L 67-90
    JAN 18 - 7:00 PM - PRESBYTERIAN* ........................ W 61-53
    JAN 21 - 5:30 PM - @ CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* ..... L 68-83
    JAN 24 - 7:00 PM - @ UNC ASHEVILLE* .................... L 60-65
    JAN 27 - 3:00 PM - LONGWOOD* ............................. W 60-57
    FEB 01 - 7:00 PM - @ RADFORD* .............................. L 66-70
    FEB 03 - 3:00 PM - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* ......... W 63-61
    FEB 07 - 7:00 PM - CAMPBELL* ................................ L 70-78
    FEB 10 - 7:00 PM - @ Liberty*

Key Players

#5 Liam O'Reilly
    6' 2" 180 lbs Junior Guard - JUCO Transfer
    Thru 26 Games: Averaging 14.0 Pts, 4.7 Rebs & 2.8 Assists + 40.8% on 3-Pt Attempts (71-of-179)

#11 David Efianayi
    6' 2" 175 lbs Sophomore Guard
    Thru 26 Games: Averaging 17.3 Pts, 3.5 Rebs & 2.4 Assists + 35.3% on 3-Pt Attempts (41-of-116)

#25 D.J. Laster
    6' 6" 225 lbs Sophomore Forward
    Thru 26 Games: Averaging 14.2 Pts, 5.5 Rebs & .4 Assists + 31.0% on 3-Pt Attempts (18-of-58)
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
We've won two games on the road all season, one at Hampton, the other at Campbell. Big advantage for LU right there. 5 games left, and we have you, HPU and PC on the road, then the top two, UNCA and WU at home. We need this one.

I don't expect as ugly a game as the one here in late December, although a game in the mid to high 60's makes sense. We aren't dropping 87 on you like CSU did Wednesday, but O'Reilly or Efianayi can warm up from deep, something we'll need to win. This game is huge for us to get the sweep on you and avoid the play-in round in the tournament. We've been missing Miller in the rotation big time since he went down with his injury, and we just got Cornwall back last Saturday, which has helped.

Did any of you hear what happened at UNCA today? RU went up 64-57 with 2:16 left in the game after it had been tied at 57. Then, Teague for UNCA made three straight three pointers, including the game winner with 4 seconds left, UNCA won 66-64. Something tells me they want to host the tourney this year after that 51 Clemons hung on them last year at Winthrop.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
g-webb1994 wrote:We've won two games on the road all season, one at Hampton, the other at Campbell. Big advantage for LU right there. 5 games left, and we have you, HPU and PC on the road, then the top two, UNCA and WU at home. We need this one.

I don't expect as ugly a game as the one here in late December, although a game in the mid to high 60's makes sense. We aren't dropping 87 on you like CSU did Wednesday, but O'Reilly or Efianayi can warm up from deep, something we'll need to win. This game is huge for us to get the sweep on you and avoid the play-in round in the tournament. We've been missing Miller in the rotation big time since he went down with his injury, and we just got Cornwall back last Saturday, which has helped.

Did any of you hear what happened at UNCA today? RU went up 64-57 with 2:16 left in the game after it had been tied at 57. Then, Teague for UNCA made three straight three pointers, including the game winner with 4 seconds left, UNCA won 66-64. Something tells me they want to host the tourney this year after that 51 Clemons hung on them last year at Winthrop.
What are the odds Teague is still playing for Ashville next year? I'm saying no better than 50/50, and I was a bit surprised he didn't transfer last Spring.
Last edited by olldflame on February 10th, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Might be a small crowd: UVa is playing Tech at 6:30.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
g-webb1994 wrote:We've won two games on the road all season, one at Hampton, the other at Campbell. Big advantage for LU right there. 5 games left, and we have you, HPU and PC on the road, then the top two, UNCA and WU at home. We need this one.

What are the odds Teague is still playing for Ashville next year? I'm saying no better than 50/50, and I was a bit surprised he didn't transfer last Spring.
The life of a low mid-major. He's definitely gone if they go dancing, and frankly, I see them winning out completely, regular season then host and win three in the conference tourament, and head into the dance on a 14 game win streak. Look at Rousey at Marquette..dropped in 34 today in a loss to suddenly hot St. Johns.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Our Achilles heel reared it's ugly head yet again...long scoreless stretches. No FG in the last three minutes of both halves, and no FG during a seven minute stretch of the first half. Laster and Zeck both on the bench during the stretch run made absolutely zero sense, and our French waste of a scholarship blew a point blank layup that could have cut it to 1 during that stretch as a result.

Y'all have two tough ones on the road now, but getting your last two at home will be huge for you.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:A win is a win. That is about all there is to say
I don't understand why it is necessary to make light of a win. Can't we just celebrate it? This was a really important W for us. A loss would have left us with a tough row to hoe to escape a play-in game. BTW, it was also our 4th win in the last 5. Yes, the loss to Chucky South hurt, but for all you critics who make a joke of losing to a team in a HS gym..... have you ever been to a game in the 'Bucdome"? I have been to at least a dozen over the years, and let me tell you, they have a big-time home court advantage there. Still no excuses. We didn't get it done on D that night.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
I don't understand why it is necessary to make light of a win. Can't we just celebrate it? This was a really important W for us. A loss would have left us with a tough row to hoe to escape a play-in game. BTW, it was also our 4th win in the last 5. Yes, the loss to Chucky South hurt, but for all you critics who make a joke of losing to a team in a HS gym..... have you ever been to a game in the 'Bucdome"? I have been to at least a dozen over the years, and let me tell you, they have a big-time home court advantage there. Still no excuses. We didn't get it done on D that night.
Consider the source
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:
Consider the source
It was not always so.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:

I don't understand why it is necessary to make light of a win.
Can't we just celebrate it? This was a really important W for us. A loss would have left us with a tough row to hoe to escape a play-in game. BTW, it was also our 4th win in the last 5. Yes, the loss to Chucky South hurt, but for all you critics who make a joke of losing to a team in a HS gym..... have you ever been to a game in the 'Bucdome"? I have been to at least a dozen over the years, and let me tell you, they have a big-time home court advantage there. Still no excuses. We didn't get it done on D that night.
Who is making light of a win? Sheeesh. You trying to challenge PH for the most clueless poster on the board?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]