If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Campbell University
Buies Creek, North Carolina

CU Hoops Official Site

Kevin McGeehan
5th Season as Camels Head Coach

2017-2018 Schedule/Results
  • Overall ...... 11-9
    Big South ... 5-3
    Road .......... 2-6

• NOV 10 - 4:00 PM - @ PENN STATE ...................................... L, 75-86
      NOV 13 - 7:00 PM - COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL .................. W, 108-44
      NOV 18 - 7:00 PM - @ UNC WILMINGTON ............................. L, 84-88
      NOV 20 - 7:00 PM - JOHNSON & WALES .............................. W, 98-53

Creek Classic in Buies Creek
      NOV 24 - 2:00 PM - ABILENE CHRISTIAN .............................. L, 80-85 OT
      NOV 25 - 2:00 PM - BOWLING GREEN ................................... L, 72-78
      NOV 26 - 4:00 PM - USC UPSTATE ........................................ W, 93-74

NOV 30 - 7:00 PM - @ STETSON .......................................... W, 85-78
      DEC 04 - 7:00 PM - @ EAST CAROLINA ................................. L, 66-69
      DEC 14 - 7:00 PM - THE CITADEL ......................................... W, 87-77
      DEC 19 - 8:30 PM - @ SAINT LOUIS ...................................... L, 66-74
      DEC 22 - 2:00 PM - ALLEN ................................................... W, 91-62
      DEC 30 - 2:00 PM - @ UNC ASHEVILLE* ................................ L, 79-85
      JAN 03 - 7:00 PM - GARDNER-WEBB* ................................... L, 80-82 OT
      JAN 06 - 2:00 PM - WINTHROP* ........................................... W, 88-77
      JAN 09 - 7:00 PM - @ PRESBYTERIAN* ................................. W, 83-79
      JAN 12 - 7:00 PM - HIGH POINT* ......................................... W, 65-64
      JAN 15 - 7:00 PM - @ LONGWOOD* ...................................... L, 62-76
      JAN 18 - 7:00 PM - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* ..................... W, 62-47
      JAN 21 - 2:00 PM - RADFORD ............................................... W, 59-56
      JAN 23 - 7:00 PM - @ LIBERTY*

Key Players

#3 Chris Clemons
    5' 9" 180 lbs Junior Guard
    In 17 Games: Averaging 24.2 Pts, 4.1 Rebs & 3.0 Assists + 36.1% (43-of-119) on 3-Pt Attempts

#34 Marcus Burk
    6' 3" 205 lbs Sophomore Guard
    Thru 20 Games: Averaging 16.1 Pts, 3.9 Rebs & 1.4 Assists + 40.8% (58-of-142) on 3-Pt Attempts
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We need to guard those 2 players tight, and not give them open looks from behind 3 point line.
Our best matchups would be Cabell on Cleamons and Cuffee on Burks, but that would leave Georgie with a mismatch on the SF (or on the bench).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There's an ole saying, "never let the opponent's "best" player beat you".

Different sport, but I recall a softball game I was pitching many years ago. We had a one run lead in top of 7th inning. The other team had bases loaded with 2 outs. Their best hitter came to the plate. I intentionally walked him and forced in tying run. Next batter hit line drive back thru middle, which I caught for out # 3. Leadoff batter in B7, hit walk off home run. We win.

make lesser players try to beat you.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
:lol: I heard they were going to play an extra Martin Garrix song in honor of ballcoach15
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:There's an ole saying, "never let the opponent's "best" player beat you".

Different sport, but I recall a softball game I was pitching many years ago. We had a one run lead in top of 7th inning. The other team had bases loaded with 2 outs. Their best hitter came to the plate. I intentionally walked him and forced in tying run. Next batter hit line drive back thru middle, which I caught for out # 3. Leadoff batter in B7, hit walk off home run. We win.

make lesser players try to beat you.
I don't really disagree with your initial premise, but that was about as bad an illustration as you could make to support it. There is a reason that walking in the tying run, no matter how dangerous the hitter, hasn't been an accepted strategy since Babe Ruth walked the earth. A line drive up the middle probably is a base hit 90% of the time. You got lucky.

Back to basketball. While Cleamons is clearly Campbell's best player, Burks is also VERY dangerous, and a better 3 point shooter. You can't come off of him to double Cleamons.
Last edited by olldflame on January 23rd, 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Their best hitter came to the plate. I intentionally walked him and forced in tying run.
I remember when a manager intentionally walked Barry Bonds to force in a run with the bases loaded, but I've NEVER heard of intentionally walking in the tying run--until Ballcoach's story.

Ballcoach, were you also the coach, and did your players/parents think you were CRAZY? :dontgetit
By kingaling42
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:We need to guard those 2 players tight, and not give them open looks from behind 3 point line.
Our best matchups would be Cabell on Cleamons and Cuffee on Burks, but that would leave Georgie with a mismatch on the SF (or on the bench).
You can't guard Clemons tightly 1 on 1 without getting that guy or the help side guys in foul trouble early/often.. I don't see any guys on your roster capable of containing him 1 on 1 and playing him tight- especially in the era of freedom of movement for offensive players.. Clemons is also the quickest guy on the court even with the ball, you have to have good rotations and when he passes your defense has to recover. Concentrate too much on Burks and Clemons and you risk Gensler getting good looks and his percentages are high from outside (42%). LU plays pack line principles so I'd be surprised to see a major change on 2 days rest.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Their best hitter came to the plate. I intentionally walked him and forced in tying run.
I remember when a manager intentionally walked Barry Bonds to force in a run with the bases loaded, but I've NEVER heard of intentionally walking in the tying run--until Ballcoach's story.

Ballcoach, were you also the coach, and did your players/parents think you were CRAZY? :dontgetit
Only those who did not know softball. I have seen coaches who would never order an intentional walk, in any situation.

Without bragging, but when I was pitching , a ball hit back up middle, was an out 90% of the time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:

Only those who did not know softball. I have seen coaches who would never order an intentional walk, in any situation.

Without bragging, but when I was pitching , a ball hit back up middle, was an out 90% of the time.
Sounds like bragging to me. Bottom line is, just because it worked out that one time doesn't mean it's sound strategy. It's not.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
kingaling42 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
You can't guard Clemons tightly 1 on 1 without getting that guy or the help side guys in foul trouble early/often.. I don't see any guys on your roster capable of containing him 1 on 1 and playing him tight- especially in the era of freedom of movement for offensive players.. Clemons is also the quickest guy on the court even with the ball, you have to have good rotations and when he passes your defense has to recover. Concentrate too much on Burks and Clemons and you risk Gensler getting good looks and his percentages are high from outside (42%). LU plays pack line principles so I'd be surprised to see a major change on 2 days rest.
Cleamons is a handful, no doubt about it, but Cabell has played him well, and of course he gets help once he penetrates inside the imaginary pack line circle. I expect us to play them the same way we have in winning the previous 3 times we have faced them under McKay.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Or you let their best player go off and make sure no one else beats you. Seems to be working For Oklahoma’s opponents this year. Worked against the Bulls for several.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I had not thought about that.
I recall a team once who decided not to even guard the opponent's best player. It messed his mind up and he had a bad game. He kept looking for defensive player who wasn't there. This was a D1 college, but I can't remember who.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Maybe this will be the game that our players can finally get over the hump.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Per ASOR tweet, Cabell is in street clothes with a gimpy R knee. Apparently he has been playing with it the past few games. Not sure who will get the task of checking Cleamons now.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Down 14 zip. Another stellar start.
By Old Red
I’m sitting near a group of students who, in the first 4 minutes, have gone from apathy, to embarrassment, to finally laughing at our performance.
Not a good indication of our students expectations.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
It's depressing. Just when I think Baxter Bell is going to dunk, it's a travel. I know this is a home game for us, but I really like Campbell's arena. It seats 3,094 but it's 3/4 chair backs. They are very wide and the aisles are wide. It looks more like a 5,000 seat place just the way the seats are placed. I really wish that LU would go back and put a Campbell size arena at the mall. I know that isn't the plan. But it's so depressing looking at all the empty seats in the shadows.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Did Bennett wuthhold the secret of perimeter defense?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The dumpster is on fire. Before the season i mentioned how the lack of ball handlers could be key with injuries.

Season over and its time to take a hard look at the direction of the program and recruiting as a whole.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]