If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:PH, you should not talk about anyone being 13 years old on this forum. But then again, I’m not really surprised. Carry on with your adolescent behavior.
Adolescent behavior...pffft

I’m rubber and you’re glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you! :dramaqueen :nonono
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’d much rather have problems on the offensive end than the opposite.
Absolutely. Or as we had just 3 years ago, problems on both ends.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’d much rather have problems on the offensive end than the opposite.
I completely agree but the offensive problems still need to be addressed if we want the program to continue to grow.

I also haven't forgotten how far our program fell. It takes time to build a program. We have improved much faster than I anticipated we would. Sometimes when growing a program you have to take a small step back to keep moving forward.

I have faith that RM will continue to work to get us there.
By Jonathan Carone
We are following a pretty standard rebuild timeline:

Year 1 - rough but you can see promise
Year 2 - slightly better than expected
Year 3 - inflated expectations based on overachieving of the year before makes solid progress feel less good than it should
Year 4 - program turns the corner and begins regularly competing for championships

This is what I expected out of the rebuild. It takes years to build a true foundation and Ritchie is doing it the right way this time.
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote:
I completely agree but the offensive problems still need to be addressed if we want the program to continue to grow.

I also haven't forgotten how far our program fell. It takes time to build a program. We have improved much faster than I anticipated we would. Sometimes when growing a program you have to take a small step back to keep moving forward.

I have faith that RM will continue to work to get us there.
I agree post. I'm not saying that the team is terrible, but I saw Radford contain a lot of rebounds. The defense is way better (although some of the fouls were a bit unnecessary, but that's how the game is played nowadays), but we do need to work on the offensive side of the game as well. I was just a bit frustrated about those details, however I definitely see progress with the program; more than what was expected as postman has stated already.
By Jonathan Carone
Great stat from Manson:

Liberty is 29-4 since McKay returned when we score 70. We’re 20-0 when scoring 76. We’re 11-1 this year when scoring 70. Only loss was the triple OT game.

We are 1-6 if we score less than 70 this year.

Seems pretty cut and dry: Score 70 and we win.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
To whom it may concern:

Actually, we out rebounded Radford for the game, although they had the edge after halftime. Our biggest problem was a failure to finish shots inside. Myo and Isaiah were a combined 2-11 and Scottie only got 2 shots, making one. Should have taken more 3s. 8)
Last edited by olldflame on January 16th, 2018, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Great stat from Manson:

Liberty is 29-4 since McKay returned when we score 70. We’re 20-0 when scoring 76. We’re 11-1 this year when scoring 70. Only loss was the triple OT game.

We are 1-6 if we score less than 70 this year.

Seems pretty cut and dry: Score 70 and we win.

That's some pretty nifty cipherin there.

I believe a return to full health and form by Homesley will go a long way toward getting us that 70. I think he was just about there before he got sick. A bit more consistency from some other scorers will do the rest. We also have 2 guys we know can shoot the rock in Talbert and McDowell who have been in season long slumps. It would be great to see one or both start making some.
Last edited by olldflame on January 16th, 2018, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PAFlame
Yes the loss is upsetting and probably should not have happened. Do I think McKay could have done better? Of course, he's not the best coach in basketball, but he's a pretty good one and the one we need and deserve right now. If this was Year 4 or 5 and this is where we are, then I'd of course be very concerned and wondering if we should have brought him back. Losses will happen, and this isn't the worst team in the world to lose to this year, but it's obvious we are miles ahead of where we were 3 years ago. Imagine how much in the gutter this program would be if Layer was still here.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
PAFlame wrote:Yes the loss is upsetting and probably should not have happened. Do I think McKay could have done better? Of course, he's not the best coach in basketball, but he's a pretty good one and the one we need and deserve right now. If this was Year 4 or 5 and this is where we are, then I'd of course be very concerned and wondering if we should have brought him back. Losses will happen, and this isn't the worst team in the world to lose to this year, but it's obvious we are miles ahead of where we were 3 years ago. Imagine how much in the gutter this program would be if Layer was still here.
If Layer were still here, those still talking about basketball would be referencing moral victories and nothing else.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Seems pretty cut and dry: Score 70 and we win.
Ballcoach was RIGHT. We need to score more points to win. :fineprint
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
No team in the country is supposed to beat Wake Forest and lose to Longwood.

Our loss to Longwood may end up being the worst loss by any team in college basketball this season.

Prior to us playing Longwood, they had given up 70, 80 or 90 points in most every D1 game they had played this season. We score a measly 51 against them.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on January 16th, 2018, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:Basketball seems to be mirroring football. Baylor win, Wake Forest win. :dontgetit
I get the comparison, but it's way too early.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:No team in the country is supposed to beat Wake Forest and lose to Longwood.

Our loss to Longwood may end up being the worst loss by any team in college basketball this season.

So, are you saying we should have beaten Longwood, or we should have lost to Wake?

As to the second part....... Not likely. Longwood is playing much better basketball than they did earlier in the year. Pay attention.

Real easy to type on the interweb what teams are "supposed" to do. Not so easy to play a basketball game with the flu. (Rhyme unintentional).
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]