If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop University
Rock Hill, South Carolina

WU Official Site

Pat Kelsey
6th Season as WU Head Coach

2017-2018 Schedule/Results

• Overall ....... 7-7
    Big South ... 1-2
    Home ......... 5-1

NOV 10 - 7:00 P.M. - SOUTHERN ILLINOIS ..................... L 66-81
    NOV 14 - 9:00 P.M. - @ COLORADO STATE ...................... L 76-80
    NOV 18 - 4:00 P.M. - CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA .............. W 106-65
    NOV 21 - 11:00 A.M. - MARS HILL .................................. W 104-49
    NOV 24 - 7:00 P.M. - @ AUBURN .................................... L 85-119
    NOV 26 - 7:00 P.M. - SC STATE ....................................... W 86-61
    NOV 29 - 7:00 P.M. - @ FURMAN .................................... W 93-74
    DEC 02 - 2:00 P.M. - REINHARDT .................................... W 107-76
    DEC 05 - 7:00 P.M. - @ GEORGIA ..................................... L 82-87
    DEC 16 - 2:00 P.M. - @ ALABAMA STATE ......................... W 88-80
    DEC 19 - 7:00 P.M. - @ VCU ............................................. L 55-69
    DEC 30 - 2:00 P.M. - HIGH POINT* .................................. W 76-60
    JAN 03 - 7:00 P.M. - @ RADFORD* ................................... L 79-85
    JAN 06 - 2:00 P.M. - @ CAMPBELL* .................................. L 77-88
    JAN 09 - 7:00 P.M. - LIBERTY*

Key Players

#10 Anders Broman
6' 2" 190 lbs Senior Guard - South Dakota State Transfer
Thru 14 Games: Averaging 13.1 Pts, 2.3 Rebs & 1.7 Assists + 36% on 3-Pt Attempts

#12 Xavier Cooks
6' 8" 185 lbs Guard/Forward - Aussie Import
In 13 Games: Averaging 16.2 Pts, 8.9 Rebs & 3.7 Assists + 18 Blocks

#13 Bjorn Broman
6' 0" 177 lbs Junior Guard
Thru 14 Games: Averaging 11.2 Pts, 1.7 Rebs & 3.0 Assists + 48% on 3-Pt Attempts
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Where did the team i liked so much earlier in the season go? I dont recognise this team at all.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
12 of Winthrop's first 14 points, were from inside the paint. Looks like we are more than content to pass around the perimeter and take poor shots. Someone needs to step up and start scoring from outside.
Kemrite throws up an air ball from 3.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Poor defensive effort and bad shot selection in the last minute by Williams, but a good win, especially on the road.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Poor defensive effort and bad shot selection in the last minute by Williams, but a good win, especially on the road.
Williams played a great game, though. Ten points and made a three. Also had an offensive rebound at the end of the game, followed by two clutch free throws. Homesely left late with an apparent injury. Hope it's nothing serious. He is playing well. Think Talbert deserves more minutes. Myo forced some bad shots inside, but McKay loves him. Cabbil with 19, 5, and 5. He often seems more like the point guard than Pachecho. Out rebounded them by 11 (14 to 2 in offensive rebounds), and went 88.9% from the charity stripe. Have really improved this year in those categories. Good win considering James' poor performance. Love beating Winthrop in basketball!! Go Flames!!!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Last time LU beat Winthrop in Rock Hill was 2004. I think RD was the coach then. :shock:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Poor defensive effort and bad shot selection in the last minute by Williams
For crying out loud, why don't you mention the offensive rebound and the 2 clutch free throws Williams had to WIN the game?!

Is your LU glass ALWAYS half empty?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
To be the best in the conference, we have to beat Winthrop and UNCA. Great win tonight. RMK has the program headed in the right direction. Game announcers said 3 LU players were under the weather. It was obvious that Scottie is sick and did not play his normal game, but he had a nice run and contributed at both ends of the court at the end. I have not looked at his career stats, but I think when Lovell finishes his 4-years at LU, his numbers will be at or near the top in multiple categories. Caleb continues to make strides in his return. At his best, he will be the top player and go to guy on this team. Isaiah shows flashes of being really good and at times looks like a freshman that did not play in any games last year. He brings a physicality and attitude that we have not had in recent years. Overall, it was just good to see contributions from a number of different players. Our team is fun to watch. I like to watch how they deal with adversity. There have definitely been some struggles this season, but the team does not get rattled and they always compete. These tight games will pay dividends at tournament time.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Huge win. I had heard earlier today that the flu had us decimated with talbert james cuffee and homesley all sick. Homesley couldnt even finish and i believe james and talbert didnt practice and i think james was even ruled out before giving it a go. I think WU is down this year but that place is cursed for us and they still have an nba player and 2 good bromans. Hopefully we can get healthy and quarantine the sick guys so we dont slip up against garbage longwood.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Poor defensive effort and bad shot selection in the last minute by Williams
For crying out loud, why don't you mention the offensive rebound and the 2 clutch free throws Williams had to WIN the game?!

Is your LU glass ALWAYS half empty?
Take it easy Jim Bob. I was just making a comment about a very bad shot selection with 40 some seconds to go in the game. It was at a critical time and unfortunately, it has been something that we have done several times this year, especially Pacheco. Just hate to see us make mental errors that are easily fixable. There were plenty of other things, both positive and negative, that could have been pointed out.
For crying out loud, did you miss where I said "good win, especially on the road"? 8)
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
This team was resilient down the stretch and showed flashes of greatness. I don't know what it is for them at the start of games but it is clearly a mental thing. This team could be great if they get that figured out. Consistency on the mental toughness side from start to finish and we don't lose another game in the Big South. Allow 5 minute stretches where we throw the ball away and struggle to execute and we will lose.
Truthfully, if we play our game tonight we win by double digits but things didn't go our way. Give us tons of credit because not much went our way but down the stretch we found a way.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]