If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:TF has probably seen more LU athletic events than anyone . I think he's only missed 2 home football games in LU history.
#bromance
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Its really going to take something organic to get anything even closely resembling what Jon, Bryson, JDUB et al had going in the student section at both football and basketball games (I think the high watermark for how crazy it was at basketball games during that era was the Niagara game...Jon, want to talk about that one?)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed...I don't think even getting on ESPN or FS1 would really create that same level of crazy (from your era or the LUnatics era)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:It may have been even more intense in the Late '90s. But today's students don't crave that atmosphere with other distractions these days.
The Late 90’s were definitely the high water mark. But LU was also a ‘Basketball School’ at the time
By Jonathan Carone
BJWilliams wrote:Its really going to take something organic to get anything even closely resembling what Jon, Bryson, JDUB et al had going in the student section at both football and basketball games (I think the high watermark for how crazy it was at basketball games during that era was the Niagara game...Jon, want to talk about that one?)
That’s probably not even a top ten game for me. I’m actually not sure what you’re referencing.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The Niagara game in Vines where the LUnatics and the students got so loud they ended up getting a technical (Niagara I mean)
By Jonathan Carone
I think I remember that one. My favorites (in no order):

CSU Buckwheat
Presby’s Little Lamb
Thank you Sonya at VMI
Transfer Omar/Typical Liberty vs CSU
Valentines Day 1 & 2 vs Winthrop
Getting threatened by Ali Ton vs Radford
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think I was at the Buckwheat game...that was some of yall's best work on the basketball side
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: Getting threatened by Ali Ton vs Radford
I do not remember the details, but wasnt he upset about a "your momma" joke. His mother had just passed or something sad.

It was not mean spirited, but super unfortunate from what I remember.
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:
I do not remember the details, but wasnt he upset about a "your momma" joke. His mother had just passed or something sad.

That was the apex of that night. We'd had a ton of fun in general the entire game because it was Radford. Then right before the game ended, one of our girls saw a guy had a tattoo that was something about his mom. She told him his mom called and said she was proud of him after he'd committed a foul or a turnover or something. He turned around and said "What'd you say?!" So, thinking we were in his head (and not knowing the context), we chanted "Momma" when he shot a free throw. After the game Ali Ton told us we should leave before he came out because he couldn't stop him from coming in the stands after us. Then he told us his mom had died a few years earlier. We tried to apologize but emotions were too high for anyone to hear that.

I hate that it happened but it made that night more memorable that we ever imagined it would be.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Oldflame -

I would include in my definition of "athletic" a lean muscular build... the term muscular was never used to describe Marcus. Also, there are numerous 6 foot 1 ballers out there that are within range of the speed, quickness, and vertical Marcus had.... there are not nearly as many at Boo's size. We all know a plethora of 6 foot 7 and up guys who we have said to ourselves, "if only i had his size..." We say that because they aren't fluid or athletic in the least. So i generally will call someone on the larger side more athletic simply because they don't make as many of them. But make no mistake. Marcus was special.... and you are correct that Che' wasn't a good fit for us. It would have been interesting to see where the program would have gone had we not gone thru that debacle. I agree that Ritchie has us heading back in that direction. And i don't think Ritchie will make the mistakes that proved to be the downfall of that era.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
R i wrote:

That was the apex of that night. We'd had a ton of fun in general the entire game because it was Radford. Then right before the game ended, one of our girls saw a guy had a tattoo that was something about his mom. She told him his mom called and said she was proud of him after he'd committed a foul or a turnover or something. He turned around and said "What'd you say?!" So, thinking we were in his head (and not knowing the context), we chanted "Momma" when he shot a free throw. After the game Ali Ton told us we should leave before he came out because he couldn't stop him from coming in the stands after us. Then he told us his mom had died a few years earlier. We tried to apologize but emotions were too high for anyone to hear that.

I hate that it happened but it made that night more memorable that we ever imagined it would be.
Did I read correctly that his mom had passed YEARS before, not DAYS? Sorry, but that's snowflake stuff IMHO. Everybody's mom dies at some point. You mourn and then you move on.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Cuffee is starting to look really comfortable out there. It would be nice to see McDowell get some more shots in the 2nd half and get him going.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
What is the deal with our long range shooting woes in the Vines? I know it is unique because of the dome and depth perception/perspective is different but it is our home court. Does the team get enough practice reps in there to be comfortable?
ALAFlamesFan wrote:What is the deal with our long range shooting woes in the Vines? I know it is unique because of the dome and depth perception/perspective is different but it is our home court. Does the team get enough practice reps in there to be comfortable?
I'd imagine most of their practice is underground in their practice facility.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:How cool is this fellas:

We are 3 points away from being 9-1 this season! And to be honest we should have won both of those games!
Works both ways. We could also easily have lost Monday, and be 6-4. I agree though that it is a strong 7-3, with only the Mercer loss not being a wire job.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]