If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, North Carolina

UNCG Mens Hoops Official Site

Wes Miller
7th Season as UNCG Head Coach

2017-2018 Schedule/Results
  • Nov 10 - @ Virginia ........................................... 48 - 60(L)

UNCG Spartan Classic
    Nov 15 - North Carolina Wesleyan ................... 82 - 48(W)
    Nov 17 - Ferrum College .................................. 95 - 43(W)
    Nov 20 - Delaware ........................................... 79 - 66(W)
    Nov 21 - Longwood .......................................... 71 - 40(W)

Nov 24 - @ Wake Forest ................................... 75 - 81(L)
    Nov 28 - @ Presbyterian .................................. 72 - 74(L)
    Dec 02 - @ Liberty ........................................... 1:00 PM

Top Player
    #10 Francis Alonso
    6' 3" 185 lbs Junior Guard
    Thru 7 Games: Averaging 17.0 Pts, 1.9 Rebs & 2.6 Assists + 48% (24-of-50) on 3-Pt Attempts
    *** Team Captain of Spain's U20 National Team ***
By R i
Registration Days Posts
This is Wes Miller that averaged 4 points a game at JMU then transferred to UNC and averaged 7 points a game as a junior.

Wow, I am getting old when he is in his 7th season as a head coach.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
They ended up on the wrong end of a Sportscenter highlight in the loss to PC
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
If we lose it’ll be because our poor play. Making lazy passes and turnovers. At this point 14 of their 19 points are off turnovers. We are better than them.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Georgie is really having a tough sophomore year from the ball handling side. I have never seen him so unfocused and sloppy handling the ball.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
This is a war right now. I like that we recovered and matched their intensity going into half. As we got more aggressive we got to the line which is a weapon for us this year. Getting number 3 on their top scorer before the half could be huge.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Did we ever blow this game IF we lose. Lazy, lazy play from passing to rebounding. Defense was the only bright spot.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Going into the 3rd OT. Should have won the game at least twice or 3 times. We don't foul up 3 with 10 seconds to go, Georgie did make a great 3, however he forced the ball at least 3 times on a drive to the bucket with no chance to make it. Should have been over in regulation. smh
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
One of the worst officiated games I’ve ever seen. At least the calls are going both ways.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
We have a shot clock violation against us twice in the 3rd OT. How do you do that? Very poor execution in this game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Their best player has had 4 fouls on him for maost of the second half and all 3 OT's and we haven't run a play against him yet, to try and get the 5th foul.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Typical liberty. Hey try doubling alonso and forcing the ball out of his hands and make someone else beat you.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
This was one of the worst coach games from Ritchie that i've seen. Poor coaching decisions. You had their best players playing with 4 fouls, why not try and get him his 5th? No movement at all on the offensive side. How many shot clock violations did we have? Forced shots? As FS stated above. Should've fouled when we were up by 3.

Just a poor job from Ritchie today.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Lose by one. I love McKay, but this was a very poorly coached game. We were up by 1 point, 9 seconds to go and don't even put any pressure on them coming up the court, let them just roll the ball to half court. We gave this one away. They are a pretty good team, but they lose to Presby? No excuse for losing this game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I don’t know what I enjoy more: Arm Chair Coaches or Arm Chair Officials. Both are entertaining
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:This was one of the worst coach games from Ritchie that i've seen. Poor coaching decisions. You had their best players playing with 4 fouls, why not try and get him his 5th? No movement at all on the offensive side. How many shot clock violations did we have? Forced shots? As FS stated above. Should've fouled when we were up by 3.

Just a poor job from Ritchie today.

Totally agree. The refs were bad but aren’t the reason we lost.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I don’t know what I enjoy more: Arm Chair Coaches or Arm Chair Officials. Both are entertaining
Uh, if you would have been there... all due respect Haize :)
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
We should've won and didn't play good enough defense in clutch moments. Yet, the officiating helped dictate the end of this one. TWO blown calls on Scottie James and an OBVIOUS charge by their lone offensive weapon on the last play of the game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I don’t know what I enjoy more: Arm Chair Coaches or Arm Chair Officials. Both are entertaining
Uh, if you would have been there... all due respect Haize :)
Oh I’m sure there were blown calls and blown plays. I WILL say that those officials are quantitatively better than what I’m used to seeing :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Disappointing loss, but I'm not going to go negative on this one. A very good player basically put on his Superman cape in the last 35 minutes and the guys who normally would have responded on the offensive end (Kemrite Cabbel and Pacheco) shot a combined 6 for 36. I have always been a proponent of fouling when up 3 on defense at the end of games. Ritchie is not, and there are arguments both ways. We have had some spirited discussions on that subject back in the day. As far at Alonso playing all those minutes with 4 fouls, I tip my cap to him. He is a smart veteran international player and there is obviously a reason he is Captain of Spain's U20 team. He also probably had orders from his coach to give up a basket rather than foul, but we shot too poorly to take advantage.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
TF says when we are up by 3 in the last seconds and the other team has the ball, we need to foul them at half court, since 2 free throws won't beat if if you are up by 3. That happened twice or three times in regulation/over time, and we refused to foul them, and UNCG knocked down the 3-ball to tie it every time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If we are going to question Ritchie's decisions today, here's one :dontgetit

With our other 3 point shooters throwing up bricks to the tune of 4-23, Ezra Talbert was a DNP coach's decision. Other than the VCU exhibition he is not shooting the 3 well this year, but for his career he is about 40%. He can shoot.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]