If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:TF says when we are up by 3 in the last seconds and the other team has the ball, we need to foul them at half court, since 2 free throws won't beat if if you are up by 3. That happened twice or three times in regulation/over time, and we refused to foul them, and UNCG knocked down the 3-ball to tie it every time.
That’s one Philosophy. But I wouldn’t take Hoops advice from him
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm pretty sure Ritchie's approach to that situation has it's roots with the Bennetts. The thinking is, when you center your entire identity as a team around being able to get stops with the Pack Line, why would you not trust it with the game on the line? My answer would be, because your chances of winning are greater if you foul.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:I'm pretty sure Ritchie's approach to that situation has it's roots with the Bennetts. The thinking is, when you center your entire identity as a team around being able to get stops with the Pack Line, why would you not trust it with the game on the line? My answer would be, because your chances of winning are greater if you foul.
But are they though? Crazy things happen and crazy bounces take place And if you don’t have a dominant rebounder.....
If you are used to playing tight 1/2 court D making the other team take a challenging 3 pointer is pretty sound strategy. And this from a guy who loves throwing out a gimmick or two :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
UNCG has ONE guy that dropped 36 points on us with 4 fouls most of the game. He hit a ton of 3-balls, 2-balls, and free throws. We had absolutely no answer for him, though Cabbil chased him around the court the whole game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:UNCG has ONE guy that dropped 36 points on us with 4 fouls most of the game. He hit a ton of 3-balls, 2-balls, and free throws. We had absolutely no answer for him, though Cabbil chased him around the court the whole game.
Well THAT has never happened before ever in the history of basketball. Colin Sexton scored 40 playing 3 on 5.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Tough loss but love our heart! Alonso was unbelievable! Keep qorking hard. Keep getting better! Tough one to lose but Alonso hit 5 big shots. Unbelievable. Hats off to him!
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Tough loss but love our heart! Alonso was unbelievable! Keep qorking hard. Keep getting better! Tough one to lose but Alonso hit 5 big shots. Unbelievable. Hats off to him!
He was really good at flopping too.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:I'm pretty sure Ritchie's approach to that situation has it's roots with the Bennetts. The thinking is, when you center your entire identity as a team around being able to get stops with the Pack Line, why would you not trust it with the game on the line? My answer would be, because your chances of winning are greater if you foul.
But are they though? Crazy things happen and crazy bounces take place And if you don’t have a dominant rebounder.....
If you are used to playing tight 1/2 court D making the other team take a challenging 3 pointer is pretty sound strategy. And this from a guy who loves throwing out a gimmick or two :D
We used to not have a dominant rebounder. Meet Scotty James.

Some coaches foul on the road and don't at home. The rational there is that not fouling pretty much assures the game will at least be extended, and that would tend to favor the home team. The negative to fouling is that it introduces the possibility of them making the first FT, getting the rebound on the intentionally missed 2nd, and hitting a 3 to win it.

Yes, funny bounces can happen. Crazy off-balance 3 pointers can also go in. The "make the first, miss the second, get the rebound and score" play has a way lower % of success than the contested 3 ball from my observational experience, especially when your opponent has a guy like Alonso having a career night.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:We used to not have a dominant rebounder. Meet Scotty James.
What hurt us in the 3rd OT is that both Scotty James and Cabbil fouled out; and Alonso was still draining off balance 3-balls with 4 fouls.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Another problem with fouling them when you have the lead is you are stopping the clock which extends the game. That favors the team that's behind. I like the way Ritchie played it, go with your strength which for us is half-court D.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
It doesn't help that our two primary shooters (Kemrite and Cabbill) go 3 for 25 and 1 for 16 in 3 point shooting, and the team turns the ball over 21 times and give up 17 offensive rebounds. Certainly a formula for disaster. UNCG is good but we should have won if we play just our normal game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:It doesn't help that our two primary shooters (Kemrite and Cabbill) go 3 for 25 and 1 for 16 in 3 point shooting, and the team turns the ball over 21 times and give up 17 offensive rebounds. Certainly a formula for disaster. UNCG is good but we should have won if we play just our normal game.
Despite Alonso's late heroics, this one was not on our defense. If those 2 players go 4 for 25 instead of 3, we win. If they make anything resembling a normal %, we win going away.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]