If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Its also called a lack of understanding. Many people continue to ask why attendance is poor. See performance today. Literally every time over the past 15 years that were in a big momentum building spot we lay the egg. Then people dont come back. Not that hard to figure out. Nobody said anything about the wrong or right direction. Only mistake mckay made was playing kemrite too much.

We had opportunity to match up with houston on our home floor in a prime time game on a saturday night. Poof. Gone.
Its one game.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
We could still wind up 2-1 in the thing, which would make it a very good weekend.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Easy because pacheco can play defense handle the ball and do other things besides shoot. Kemrite cant. Simple.

When kemrite is hitting shots we can use him. Whens hes not we cant. Maybe against big south teams we can. Other teams are too long and athletic and neutralize him.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Ortiz had one assist and multiple turnovers.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I am disappointed. Disappointed in our fans and in our team. However, we are a young team and we have tons of up side. I agree Kemrite is streaky and i agree we will be much better once CH is healthy again. Georgie seems to be in a little bit of a sophomore slump to start the season but i expect him to snap out of it. We didnt handle success very well and came out flat today but what do you expect. We havent been very successful lately. I thought we could win any game in this tournament and i still do. Anxious to see how we regroup and respond tomorrow. It will tell a lot about the heart of this team.
By Sparky Shuffler
It was a disappointing game from LU today, but if we had even an average shooting performance, we could have pulled it out. I’ve been very impressed with Isaiah Williams. He plays with heart and is a tough matchup for other teams. Good to see a better game from Cuffee today. Georgie has looked rough.

Watching the Drexel vs. Houston game now and let me tell you, Drexel came to play. I don’t think they’ve got quite the depth to stick with Houston for 40 minutes, but they’ve got a solid team. Liberty can’t afford to sleep on them tomorrow. I also found it interesting that Mercer’s entire team came out to watch Houston/Drexel, but only 2-3 of our players.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am out of town all week and could not make it to Vines Center. Looked as if we left our offense at Wake Forest. When I saw the halftime score, I knew we were in trouble. (I recall 25 points at the half).
With home court advantage, we should have won this game by at least 10 points. Hopefully we come to play tomorrow.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU plays Houston at high noon tomorrow. I'm dropping $20 to see them. Who else is going? Play Basketball
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Not sure if I will make it a noon tomorrow, too much to do, after being gone all week. I will make Sunday's game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:TV was completely out of LU’s hands on this one.
Good to know
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
To me James, Williams and Cabbil need to see about 30 minutes each. However, the 3 i mentioned are the only 3 players that attempted to drive to the bucket. Everyone else was content with taking and missing 3's all day. I was just disappointed that we didn't attack the basket. The 10 times we did or so we probably scored 8 of the 10 times and had 2 3 point point plays. The 3 ball was off all day and i'm not sure we have the same 3 point shooting that we had last year without Reid. To me, we also sure miss Gardner against teams like this and we could have used him against Houston as well. Teams that are super long and athletic and quick with the ball will still give us problems.

Houston is a 1 man show on offense. Everything goes through him. However, i'm sure everyone else watching saw how we struggled with that zone and will try it until we solve it.

Totally agree on the way Mercer's players came out and watched. Their entire staff and players. I only saw a couple of ours players or coaches. I'm sure the coaches were somewhere but Ritchie was the only one I saw.

For once, i would love to see us grab momentum when it's there and put together a good run to build the fan base back. We just can't ever seem to do it though. A win against Houston tomorrow sure would be nice.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
A lot of good basketball being played. Buzzer beater for CU. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for attendance, across the board. This is really embarrassing.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Man, I think Houston was picked to win their conference, at least I thought Andy Katz mentioned that at halftime, if so we could end up losing this game too! As far as attendance, hopefully people know LU let out for Thanksgiving already. I’d be there if I lived closer.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:To me James, Williams and Cabbil need to see about 30 minutes each. However, the 3 i mentioned are the only 3 players that attempted to drive to the bucket. Everyone else was content with taking and missing 3's all day. I was just disappointed that we didn't attack the basket. The 10 times we did or so we probably scored 8 of the 10 times and had 2 3 point point plays. The 3 ball was off all day and i'm not sure we have the same 3 point shooting that we had last year without Reid. To me, we also sure miss Gardner against teams like this and we could have used him against Houston as well. Teams that are super long and athletic and quick with the ball will still give us problems.

Houston is a 1 man show on offense. Everything goes through him. However, i'm sure everyone else watching saw how we struggled with that zone and will try it until we solve it.

Totally agree on the way Mercer's players came out and watched. Their entire staff and players. I only saw a couple of ours players or coaches. I'm sure the coaches were somewhere but Ritchie was the only one I saw.

For once, i would love to see us grab momentum when it's there and put together a good run to build the fan base back. We just can't ever seem to do it though. A win against Houston tomorrow sure would be nice.
You make some points, but you lose credibility when you talk about missing AC Reid's 3 point shooting. AC was actually our worst 3 point shooter last year. Ryan Kemrite on the other hand was the second most efficient overall shooter in D1 basketball. He has a bad game and the arm chair experts come out and say he can't play. Funny, I didn't hear that after the Wake game.

As far as our guys not coming out and watching the other game is concerned, I'm not surprised and have zero problem with it. From what I know of how things work with this program, the players were
taking care of their bodies following our game, getting ice baths, nutrition and rest. Assistant coaches were reviewing video and beginning prep for the next game. They have 3 to play in 3 days. Being in the stands to watch 2 other teams play does nothing to help us win tomorrow.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
You can nitpick every little piece if you want. Fact is when reid was hot he could carry you for 5 min stretches. It happened 3 or 4 games every year. Im not saying dont play kemrite. Just saying we have more talent than years past and when hes not on with his shot hes a liability against teams like mercer and houston. Maybe those are earth shattering sentiments to you but it was a widely regarded viewpoint in the reserved seats around me yesteday.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I gotta think they were waiting for Kemrite to start making baskets as he was way overdue but never happened, When he's on he's really on but when he's off . . . . His line was 31 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebound, etc. He got way more minutes than I would have given him . . He's never been a rebounder nor has Baxter-Bell. I would like to have my 3 (or 4 which he played last year) get at least 5-6 per game. Kemrite has 4 rebounds in 3 games, Baxter-Bell not much better. Mercer's POINT GUARD had 13 rebounds! Jesse Sanders spoiled me.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Flames Ice cold to end the first half...Houston of course on fire. Big bucket by James just now though and it’s 27-25 at half.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Houston has 10 more rebounds than us right now 9:00 left in game. That’s the difference. We may be up 10 if not for the boards.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Thankfully Houston takes and misses as many 3 pointers as us. Both teams 6-23 from behind the arc.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
One of the best things I enjoy about teams coached by Ritchie is this never give up attitude!!! Not to mention they make their free throws and play good defense.

This game against Houston is no different, we are playing well enough to win and our defense is keeping us in the game along with our free throw shooting.

I am looking forward to seeing what this season holds for our Flames.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Take another L. Maybe we can go 0 and 3 for the tourney and make our ROE look really bad.
Last edited by jinxy on November 18th, 2017, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]