If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Which normally #1 seed would you like to see be the first beaten by a #16 seed?

North Carolina
36%
Duke
No votes
0%
Kentucky
29%
Kansas
14%
UCLA
No votes
0%
Other
21%
The #16 seed teams are getting better and closer every year. When do you think it will happen? I know I am a homer on this one and I say Liberty this year against Duke. Thoughts?

Please mention who the other colleges that you vote for people. I know that I put UCLA there, but they are the kings of college basketball plus the Ball family plays there.
Last edited by LUalumfromnc on November 4th, 2017, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okay .. world series over now I have time to chime.
Anybody who follows NCAA basketball and knows the failure of the NCAA with NC could not possibly vote for any other team to fail ... wait ... there is another debacle ....
LUalumfromnc wrote:The #16 seed teams are getting better and closer every year. When do you think it will happen? I know I am a homer on this one and I say Liberty this year against Duke. Thoughts?
If we get in. i doubt we will be a 16 seed.

This has happened in WBB. Harvard beat Stanford in 1998. The formula was, a Harvard team which featured the nations leading scorer and should have been seeded no worse than 12 or 13 and a Stanford team short 2 key players who suffered ACL tears shortly before the tourney and should not have beena 1. Imagine if Davidson had gotten a 16 seed in Curry's JR year.
Last edited by olldflame on November 3rd, 2017, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odd time to post this. It hasn't gotten closer to happening in recent years.

Last year's 1-16 average margin of victory was 29.25, with no game closer than 20 points.
In 2016, it was 29.25 with no game closer than 16 points.
In 2015, it was 29.25 with no game closer than 14 points. (Weird that the total margin of victory for 1 seeds in each of the last three years is exactly 117 points.)

There hasn't been a single-digit margin of victory in a 1-16 game since Arizona-Weber State (nine points) in 2014. There were two such games in 2013 (Kansas-Western Kentucky; Gonzaga-Southern).

It's not getting closer to happening. As Haize pointed out, it only will happen if there's a major injury to the top seed right before the tournament, and if the 16 seed is horribly underseeded. The chances of those two things happening simultaneously are tiny.
Chris Lang wrote:Odd time to post this. It hasn't gotten closer to happening in recent years.

Last year's 1-16 average margin of victory was 29.25, with no game closer than 20 points.
In 2016, it was 29.25 with no game closer than 16 points.
In 2015, it was 29.25 with no game closer than 14 points. (Weird that the total margin of victory for 1 seeds in each of the last three years is exactly 117 points.)

There hasn't been a single-digit margin of victory in a 1-16 game since Arizona-Weber State (nine points) in 2014. There were two such games in 2013 (Kansas-Western Kentucky; Gonzaga-Southern).

It's not getting closer to happening. As Haize pointed out, it only will happen if there's a major injury to the top seed right before the tournament, and if the 16 seed is horribly underseeded. The chances of those two things happening simultaneously are tiny.
That wasn't Haize. :nono

I think the committee has been especially careful of late to be sure the 16 seeds are the 4 worst teams at tournament time.
Squirrel.
LUalumfromnc wrote:Mods. please delete this thread I started.
No way Nostradamus.

Actually, at least in part, the breakthrough played out somewhat as we were saying it would. UVA had an injury to a key player, and UMBC probably should not have been a 16 seed.
olldflame wrote:
LUalumfromnc wrote:Mods. please delete this thread I started.
No way Nostradamus.

Actually, at least in part, the breakthrough played out somewhat as we were saying it would. UVA had an injury to a key player, and UMBC probably should not have been a 16 seed.
Agreed. Plus throw in the 1 seed playing their worst game of the year and the 16 playing their best. What really was unexpected was the "blowout" win by the 16. That still blows my mind.
The total collapse of UVA is what shocked me. Tied at half - I can kinda see that. UMBC coming out playing strong in the second half even makes some sense. But a 6-Point game with just under 6 minutes to play became a 20 Point loss!! The way Virginia completely collapsed down the stretch was mind-boggling to me!
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]