If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Great read from FoxSports who has Liberty as a possible contender for the Big South title. A must read for any Liberty Fan!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/team?categ ... edir=false

On paper, coach Randy Dunton seems to have a team that could contend for the Big South title.
How quickly that potential jells might be the key to Dunton and Liberty's success. He has to integrate nine new faces into the mix on a roster that includes 18 players.
The team has some experience in Larry Blair, Anthony Smith, Damien Hubbard, Russell Monroe and Rell Porter, but how those veterans deal with reduced minutes with newcomers expected to play key roles is worth monitoring.

Blair, who might be the best player in the league, won't be playing any less if Dunton can help it. With 1,500 career points, he'll be taking aim on the school (2,273) and Big South (2,151) scoring marks. He improved his ball handling over the summer, after testing the NBA over the summer and then withdrawing. He's hoping to have the kind of season that will attract NBA attention.

The Flames, because Dunton has at least seven new faces that could play, may be a year away from contention. There may not be enough balls to go around on a team that appears to have an abundance of weapons.

Dwight Brewington, who started and averaged better than 13 points as a sophomore at Providence, is the top newcomer. He practiced with the team last year, which means he and Blair should know each other's court tendencies. But when Brewington finally gets into the lineup, it will be interesting to see if he will give way to Blair. If he does, the Flames could have the most potent backcourt in the league.

The Flames enter the season as the Big South's mystery team.

STRENGTHS: G Larry Blair is the kind of player any coach would like. He plays hard, can score against anyone and takes losing personally. Last year, coach Randy Dunton said Blair was the best player in the league and he may be right.
WEAKNESSES: Relying too much on Blair has been a problem. He's a gifted player, but can't carry a team over a long season. Someone on the roster has to figure out how to complement the talented guard if the Flames are going to contend.
LAST YEAR: 7-23, 3-13 Big South (8th), lost conference tournament first round.

HEAD COACH: Randy Dunton (career 97-111), sixth season at Liberty (63-85).

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Larry's got to continue to grow with his ability to defend, because that's always going to be a factor when you're a 6-1 guard. He's worked himself into a really good position in the weight room. He's had a great summer improving his ability to handle and pass the ball. Those are areas that are going to be attractive as he looks to play himself into professional opportunities." -- Coach Randy Dunton on Larry Blair, who tested the NBA waters before deciding to return to school for his senior season.

SCOUTING THE NEWCOMERS: Dwight Brewington, a 6-5 point guard who transferred from Providence after a falling out with the coaching staff, is the most heralded newcomer. He won't be eligible until December and when he is, the question becomes how he interacts with Larry Blair. Blair has been the man in Lynchburg for three years and he's not likely to take a backseat. Brewington can play every position except the post, but how he plays with and off of Blair is the key.
B.J. Jenkins, a 6-0 freshman who averaged 21 points and six assists as a high school senior, will get the start at point, at least until Brewington is eligible. He will be more willing to give the ball to Blair than Brewington might be. Kyle Ohman, Andrew York and Armon Jones are first-year players who may have to wait their turn. Alex McLean, a 6-8, 240-pounder, becomes eligible with Brewington and could be a factor inside.
Lamont Winters, another big body at 6-7, 260, suffered a dislocated ankle in August and was in a cast for 10 weeks. How much he will contribute is a question mark.

KEY EARLY-SEASON GAMES: The Dec. 16 game at St. Francis, Pa. doesn't look like a key game, but that's the day Dwight Brewington becomes eligible. That's when the watch will begin to see if Brewington and Blair can co-exist or if it will be a battle of who gets the ball more.

PROGRAM DIRECTION: Dunton is in his sixth season and has had one winning season. More importantly, he's just 39-35 in the Big South. The program isn't moving up or down, which means it's not getting better. This is a pivotal year for Dunton who needs to prove he can make the Flames competitive in the Big South.

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUP: PG Larry Blair, SG Anthony Smith., SF Damien Hubbard, PF Rell Porter, C Russell Monroe.

ROSTER REPORT: Tyler Baker, a 6-9 forward, came into last season rated the team's best shooter, but an ankle injury forced him to sit out the year. He's healthy.

Damien Hubbard, a 6-6 senior, was a question mark in the spring, when Dunton suspended him for not keeping up with his academics. He was reinstated in May and has moved back to forward after spending a shaky season trying to play guard.

Justin Holland, a 6-0 point guard, suffered a groin injury in October last year and played in 20 games. But he's was never the kind of player Dunton expected. Holland's healthy now and could be a factor in a very crowded back court.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Pretty accurate read aside from the starting lineup. It'll probably look more like this at Oklahoma:

PG B.J. Jenkins
SG Larry Blair
SF Anthony Smith
PF Rell Porter
C Alex McLean

Hubbard comes off the bench to spell minutes at the 2/3/4.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
For coach's sake, we'd better not be "a year away."
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Is Alex available for the first semester?
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Yes. Dwight is the only one who isn't.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PROGRAM DIRECTION: Dunton is in his sixth season and has had one winning season. More importantly, he's just 39-35 in the Big South. The program isn't moving up or down, which means it's not getting better. This is a pivotal year for Dunton who needs to prove he can make the Flames competitive in the Big South.

I wonder if the reporter will now be called a "hater"?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I wonder if the reporter will now be called a "hater"?
Sounds fair and balanced to me. RD won't disappoint us.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
RD's record would look a lot different if not for last season. As long as last season does not become pattern, I think the team is going in the right direction. This year will say a lot about the future of the program.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
KEL, that is a game you could play all day long. "His record would look a lot different if...............there wasn't last year/ he didn't make the tournament/didn't have 1 winning season/had more then 1 winning season"
Not a game you can play. The record is what the record is. I thought this wwas a great point.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
It was a great point Purple Haize. Dunton's future will be decided by the results of this season
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
kel varson wrote:RD's record would look a lot different if not for last season.
I'd be a lot skinnier if I didn't gain a lot of weight last year. What's your point?
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
You have to admit Dunton has not been all bad to this point. Haize, you make it seem like he has been a total failure. Taking us from where we were with Hankinson, Dunton has taken the team a long way. Can he take us to the next level? This year will say a lot. The Fox writer said this season, is "pivotal." I couldn't agree more. The team needs to take positive steps. In my opinion they need at least 15 wins, which would be a major improvment from last season. The following season they need to build on that.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think the loss of David Dees hurt this team more then anybody says, that was the #2 scoring option for Larry...and they didn't have that last year and things just went south from there....this year will be a better year, they will be very competive...ok, time to go eat and then head to the Vines to see this team for myself
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
??? How did my post make it sound like he was a failure??? I was just quoting the article. My point is that you can not play the "IF" game. As for the Hankinson era, a monkey in a tuxedo would have had success followng a situation like that, so again, IMHO, you can't "look back" . Why? Because where do you draw the line on "looking back"? Do you stop at the Hankinson era? Do you stop at RD's first go around? Do you stop at teh Meyer era? Do you stop at the Gibson era? How far back do you want to look? You look at the current body of work, you look at what the coach said was going to happen to LU hoops and you look at the expectations that the "powers that be" have for the program. In that vein, I thought the article was RIGHT ON!
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
I think RD has had ample time to turn this program into a winner, and has failed to do so. It isn't the players, we have them; It is college, where the coach is the core of the team. Dees hurt, but that does not account for last years failure
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
I too feel that article was VERY fairly written. He has been here for awhile here without a winning record. I know this has been discused here before, but again, remember that the MAJORITY of the players he won the championship with were from Hankinson era. I definately feel that this year is the tell tale year. Is his contract up at the end of this year?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Yup. The old contract year. There's a lot of heat in the furnace this season.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Ok, now shutup and go to the scrimmage.

SuperJon has worked his magic again, and this time in only 30 minutes.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I'm out the door right now.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
All I was saying is that all coaches have a down year now and again. I just haven't given up on the coach yet. I too agree with the article. I thought it was great. I'm just not one of the "Dunton should be fired groupies who frequent this board." Give him another year and that may change.
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
Dunton needs to put up or shut up. After we won the BSC, he said all this stuff about how this was just the beginning of establishing Liberty Basketball. Last year was a debaucle, and if this year turns out the same, he deserves to lose his job. I hope he does win, but if not, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I agree! If this season is anything that resembles last season it is time for Coach Dunton to go.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Coach D is the right person in the right place at the right time. Although I was as disappointed in tonite as the next FlameFan, RD will evaluate the tape and see what corrections will need to be made. I am not concerned about what we see before Dec 16, because the fun time will start that date. Cut coach some early season slack until the team gels. Heck, even Dean Smith was hung in effigy early on in Chapel Hill.
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
All I am saying is that there has not been steady forward progress. As stated in many other threads many players have left without reaching there expected potential, many coaching staff changes have been made, and little to no results have been seen besides 04. It is time, plain and simple. LU is tired of waited for wins. Frankly, without Larry Blair Dunton would have been gone long ago. How many losing seasons (slack) do we need to endure. As I said early I sincerely hope Coach Dunton can bring results, but if not he tenure should come to an end.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
We can't look at the fact that we just lost to a division 2 school as being a reason to bring this up. It is a fact that the last 2 years have been downright poor. With this year's schedule there is no reason to expect anything less than a 500 season. He should be gone if we can't finish in the upper half of the BSC.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]