If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We just offered a scholarship to a 14 year old rising HS Freshman. He played 2 age groups up at U16 in AAU this summer and opened eyes. For what it's worth at this point, he is top 20 nationally in his class. A bit of a youtube sensation as "Jason Williams 2.0". Attends Trinity Academy of Raleigh.

Verbal Commits Profile

[youtube]OWycoPB_hrg[/youtube]

[youtube]QmUtlN7LZjs[/youtube]

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-new ... ning-heads

We were actually not his first offer. High Point and MTSU slid in there ahead of us.
By cruzan_flame13
This kid is a beast! It will be a blessing to have him commit to LU. Although UNC and Duke is right in his alley, having this kid on your squad will be gold. This kid reminds me of Jason Williams Play Basketball !
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm happy to see we are in early on Carter and look forward to keeping track of his progress, but we need to keep things in perspective. There is a long list of phenoms who never achieved what their early success (and youtube videos) seemed to say they would. I like the fact that Carter has chosen to "play up" in summer ball rather than put on a show toying with opponents his own age.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Then there is Sean Miller, Coach at Arizona, who was on the Johnny Carson Show when he was 8 years old showing off basketball skills, or Pistol Pete playing varsity in 8th grade.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Trinity is in an extremely weak league and the competition will not be much for him if he stays there. Good to see he is playing up though. Hard to compete with Duke though, if the kid is the real deal.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Trinity is in an extremely weak league and the competition will not be much for him if he stays there. Good to see he is playing up though. Hard to compete with Duke though, if the kid is the real deal.
Thanks for the local insight flameshaw. I figured as much on the level of HS competition, but I was impressed by the philosophy of the school on their website. Depending on his priorities, he should have tons of options in the area if he wants to play HS ball at a higher level, but he is getting that in AAU as well in the Team Loaded organization.

Despite his obvious skills with the basketball in his hands, we have seen the last 2 years with Atencia and Barmore that he would have to be able to play our brand of defense to succeed under McKay.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My question is what are his measurables and has his height topped out?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:My question is what are his measurables and has his height topped out?
6'2" 160. Probably not, he's 14.

The fact that he is pretty tall for age is a factor. There is a 15 year old in Florida who has possibly even more impressive skills, but he is 5'6", which could certainly limit him in some areas as he faces tougher competition down the line.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Trinity is in an extremely weak league and the competition will not be much for him if he stays there. Good to see he is playing up though. Hard to compete with Duke though, if the kid is the real deal.
Thanks for the local insight flameshaw. I figured as much on the level of HS competition, but I was impressed by the philosophy of the school on their website. Depending on his priorities, he should have tons of options in the area if he wants to play HS ball at a higher level, but he is getting that in AAU as well in the Team Loaded organization.

Despite his obvious skills with the basketball in his hands, we have seen the last 2 years with Atencia and Barmore that he would have to be able to play our brand of defense to succeed under McKay.
My nephew and niece went to school there. They do have a good academic, classical educational program. As mentioned earlier, the sports program isn't much. Hopefully he has gained some good Christain values/foundation that would end up with him leaning in our direction before it is over. Most of the kids there are really solid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Quick update on Carter, who transferred to Leesville Rd. HS for his Freshman year. With Carter and JR Jalen Benjamin, (also a D1 prospect) leading the way, Leeseville Rd was the #1 ranked team in the area much of the season. He is the 19th ranked player nationally in the class of 2021 by future150 and second in NC. Verbalcommits still lists Liberty, High Point and MTSU as his only 3 offers, but the other 2 just changed coaches.

https://future150.com/jr/basketball-pro ... gh-nc-2021
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Carter apparently has made it clear he has no interest in coming to Liberty. Not surprising, as he has offers from NC State, UVA and Ole Miss., among others.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]