If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Oldflame -

Zopf was 6'2 PG, Moe Barr 6'4" SF who could jump out of the gym as Caucasion :), Jarret Durham 6'6" SG, Garry Nelson 6'10" and Gary Major 6'9". All these guys were from the 'Burg. Talent was deep in the 60s in Pgh. The following year they had 6'4" Mike Barr PG, 6'6" Jarret Durham SG, Mickey Davis 6'7" SF and Barry and Garry Nelson both 6'10". These were the days that freshmen did not play varsity. Davis and Barry Nelson played with Kareem for the Bucks and Durham was drafted by the Celts but never played, He is the color guy on the radio broadcasts with Ray Goss the play by play gut since 1968 - best announcer ever. he invented "Bang" when a basket was made by the good guys.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:McGhee is more of a combo like Cabbil
McKay is on record as saying that for at least the first year or 2 he is looking for Darius to be primarily a scorer and on ball defender. Then if he develops as a playmaker he may take on more of a PG role.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Oldflame -

Zopf was 6'2 PG, Moe Barr 6'4" SF who could jump out of the gym as Caucasion :), Jarret Durham 6'6" SG, Garry Nelson 6'10" and Gary Major 6'9". All these guys were from the 'Burg. Talent was deep in the 60s in Pgh. The following year they had 6'4" Mike Barr PG, 6'6" Jarret Durham SG, Mickey Davis 6'7" SF and Barry and Garry Nelson both 6'10". These were the days that freshmen did not play varsity. Davis and Barry Nelson played with Kareem for the Bucks and Durham was drafted by the Celts but never played, He is the color guy on the radio broadcasts with Ray Goss the play by play gut since 1968 - best announcer ever. he invented "Bang" when a basket was made by the good guys.
That´s what I was thinking. I was living in Pittsburgh at the time (North Hills HS) and listened to just about all their games on my newfangled transistor radio. I remember being crushed when they played Detroit and Iceman Gervin beat them at the buzzer.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:
McKay is on record as saying that for at least the first year or 2 he is looking for Darius to be primarily a scorer and on ball defender. Then if he develops as a playmaker he may take on more of a PG role.
Do you mind posting the reference of that claim? I want to read(or watch) into this stuff.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Chippy wrote:Oldflame -

That´s what I was thinking. I was living in Pittsburgh at the time (North Hills HS) and listened to just about all their games on my newfangled transistor radio. I remember being crushed when they played Detroit and Iceman Gervin beat them at the buzzer.
I lived in West Homestead. Spencer Haywood played for Detroit University in 1968 and saw that game at the Civic Arena as well as the win over Bob Lanier's St. Bonaventure team that was 3 or 4 in the nation. Gervin played for Eastern Michigan Play Basketball. Duquesne was a powerhouse from 1967 to 1972 and they are struggling for a return to the "glory years" since then. The new/current coach (whose dad played for Duquesne in the 50's when they reached as high as No. 1 in the country) will get them to the top of the A10 in a couple years and back to significance again after 40 years in the wilderness Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Do you mind posting the reference of that claim? I want to read(or watch) into this stuff.
I should clarify what I said in that the source of the info was actually McGhee, who stated in an interview that Ritchie had told him that would be his role . I don´t have a link for the interview. This was shortly after he committed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just noticed that Issac McBride also has an offer from Lipscomb. He just became my second choice. If we were to sign him, it would also give us 4 ¨Mcs¨ on the team (and only one is Irish).
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Coach McKay has been talking about recruiting NYC since his first press conference here. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Coach McKay has been talking about recruiting NYC since his first press conference here. Play Basketball
And having NJIT on the schedule twice a year should be a significant advantage there.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
2019 student athlete also has interest from Western Carolina and Murray State. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:What’s his class? We do have 2-3 scholarships for the 2019 class right? I’m asking these questions to see if we will still take a point guard in the class.
This is for the class of 2019 (as per the thread title) As things stand now, we have one scholarship, with 5 open offers. All are guards. Jones is listed as a SG, but since our need seems to be a PG, I suspect Ritchie thinks he has the skills to play there.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/liberty/

It also appears that we have withdrawn our offer to SG Zac Ervin. Makes sense to me. He is a 6´5¨ swing player who doesn´t look to have either the quickness or skills to play the point.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Caleb Mills, another guard we have offered, played in the same Atlanta showcase as Jones and they put up similar numbers. Mills is becoming a hot commodity, and it´s looking more and more like he will end up at a high major program, so offering a somewhat similar player certainly made sense.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Everyone on verbal commits is a 2 stars, except for Brock Gardner 2.5 and Brendan Newton at 3. Some of the ASUN, particularly FGCU, have or are getting better recruits, I believe.
By cruzan_flame13
Chippy wrote:Everyone on verbal commits is a 2 stars, except for Brock Gardner 2.5 and Brendan Newton at 3. Some of the ASUN, particularly FGCU, have or are getting better recruits, I believe.
Can we trust those ratings? Not like it should matter, but i saw different ratings for these players on other sites.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Everyone on verbal commits is a 2 stars, except for Brock Gardner 2.5 and Brendan Newton at 3. Some of the ASUN, particularly FGCU, have or are getting better recruits, I believe.
It´s not ¨particularly¨ FGCU, its pretty much JUST FGCU. Lipscomb won the conference tourney last year, and they have one player who is not a 2 star, Andrew Fleming, a local Nashville kid who averaged 1.1 ppg in a bit over 8 mpg last year. We have already come out on top of them in 2 recent head to head recruiting battles for Blake Preston and Kyle Rode.

¨Dunk City¨ has managed to sign a few 3 star recruits, and I believe even a 4 star or 2 over the past few years, but since their 2 game tourney run in 2013, they have won just one post season game (a ¨First Four¨win in 2017). They have gone 0-2 in the NIT and 0-1 in the CIT. This year they are replacing their top 7 scorers as well as their head coach.

As far as the class of 2019 is concerned, the entire conference has only 3 verbals so far, with LU having 2 of them, including the only 3 star, Kyle Rode. NJIT has the other one.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:LU Staff is traveling to some interesting places to recruit:

And apparently that trip to Luisville resulted in an offer to 6´8¨ 2019 PF Jacob Hobbs.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jacob-hobbs

I have to say :dontgetit on this one. With only 1 scholarship left and a versatile F (Kyle Rode) already in the fold, a PG seems to be a no brainer for that schollie, and I really expect it to play out that way.
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:LU Staff is traveling to some interesting places to recruit:

And apparently that trip to Luisville resulted in an offer to 6´8¨ 2019 PF Jacob Hobbs.

I have to say :dontgetit on this one. With only 1 scholarship left and a versatile F (Kyle Rode) already in the fold, a PG seems to be a no brainer for that schollie, and I really expect it to play out that way.
Wait GPO's a senior this upcoming year? Well then that only schollie should go for a PG. I believe I have missed any offers for a PG.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
oldflame wrote:

Wait GPO's a senior this upcoming year? Well then that only schollie should go for a PG. I believe I have missed any offers for a PG.
Georgie is a JR, but Cabbel is a SR, and I still believe a PG makes the most sense. We have offered 3 true PGs and 2 combo guards for 2019.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/liberty

It may be that Ritchie likes what he has seen of McGhee and Price so much that he feels a PG is optional rather than absolutely necessary. Time will tell. The Hobbs kid won the dunk contest at a recent AAU event, so apparently he has some serious hops. We are his first D1 offer, so euphamistically speaking, he is a ¨late bloomer¨.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]