If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

cruzan_flame13 wrote:Something to think about from a LU fan:

That's been the dream the leadership and fanbases have wanted. We aren't in a place were we can get a top 5 recruit at any position. People forget, no one slept on his talent. He was a 5* with a .9919 rating in high school.

Right now there are 32 5* players in the 2019 class and only one is a QB.

Now I'm sipping koolaid and think we will get a 4* by the class of 2021. But we will have to offer more 4* recruits. And we will have to win some games to draw them here.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We have offered Julien Wooden, a 6´6¨ SF from just down the road in Roanoke. He has 8 D1 offers so far.

Recruiting approach has been changed up a bit this year, with quite a few more offers made, but still nothing like the shotgun approach a lot of programs take. Looks like we are serious about the possibility of signing another forward, which makes me think there is something going on we are not aware of.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I hope he likes home cooking!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I hope he likes home cooking!
I´m totally ambivilant. We have one scholarship remaining, with 7 open offers. We already have a player from Roanoke on the roster. It seems to me that what we really need is a point guard, which Julien is not. :dontgetit at our offering him and the Hobbs kid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:We always have attrition. There will be more than one scholarship available.
I would say the odds of that are good by next Spring, but not likely by the early signing period this November. I expect us to try to add a point or combo guard in the Fall. Then if something opens up in the Spring, Hobbs or Wooden could be options. That´s assuming of course they haven´t already signed with someone else. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 players on the current roster who will probably be graduating in the Spring with a year of eligibility remaining. One of them would be a logical candidate to transfer.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:Caleb Homesley has already graduated but will be just a R-junior on the court this year.
Didn´t know that, but I´m not at all surprised to hear it. With virtually all scholarship athletes on campus during summer sessions on the scholarship dime, graduating in 3 years is no longer rare, and it´s actually pretty tough to stay eligible and NOT graduate in 4. The other 2 R-JRs are Scottie and Myo. My first thought is that Scottie isn´t going anywhere, and Caleb´s decision would probably be based more on personal and academic factors than basketball. I can definately foresee a scenario where Myo would benefit from going the grad transfer route after this year. His academic status is a bit tougher to guess because he came as a non-qualifier.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Remember that we had someone not only graduate but got not one but TWO masters degrees during their eligibility
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJ, wasn't that a female basketball player? Study Play Basketball
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:BJ, wasn't that a female basketball player? Study Play Basketball
It was...my point was to bolster the idea that athletes can maximize their academic career over the course of their eligibility
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
To further my point (although it confuses me as to how), we have a young lady who is a rising senior, is not on the roster, and already has TWO degrees
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I hope he likes to travel, esp. to conference games in sunny Florida. 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Yes, I know--that's why I made my comments: I don't want him to embrace the "home cooking" at nearby George Mason.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Per ASOR tweet, 2019 prospect Shiloh Robinson, a 6´7¨ combo forward from Nebraska, is on campus. If we have offered him, word has not gotten to verbalcommits.com yet. What is interesting is that Radford HAS offered him, and he no doubt will be visiting there as well while in the area.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/shiloh-robinson
https://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recrui ... 81e13.html
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With Shiloh´s commitment, it looks at first glance like we have no more scholarships for this class. He said this Spring that he was considering the possibility of reclassifying to 2020, but I would say the recent news makes that a long shot. I´m pretty sure another scholarship is going to open up, and wouldn´t be at all surprised if the staff already knows it. It´ll be interesting to see if we make more offers and/or continue to pursue prospects like Talton Jones.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]