If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
R i wrote:No First Team nominations. This team is very deep, but we do not have any elite players yet. Brock and J. Dawson both had that potential, and are gone. Will be imperative that someone step up this year.
If Caleb Homesley had not been injured last year, he is that guy. A better player than either Gardner or Dawson, and would likely have set himself up to be on this preseason first team the way he was playing. The way Ritchie talks, he is good to go. They are just being cautious in easing him into full time status.
Not only that you have Scottie who has the talent to be an 18 and 11 type of player. I'm not trying to hype him up or saying he's going to be averaging those kind of numbers but again that's the kind of talent he has that I've heard.

I wish the game was streaming tonight.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Looks like the officials aren't going to allow Liberty to play their style of defense with what I am assuming touch fouls being called every possession. 12 team fouls. 18 FT attempts for VCU with 5 mins left to play.

The officials already in mid season form :roll:
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Talbert with 15 already?! He doesnt want to be buried on the bench this year!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LU up at the half, 51-38. Shooting 54% and 64% from the 3-point line.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In case anyone may be wondering, this doesn't mean Ritchie has changed his mind on redshirting Newton. Playing in an exhibition will not change his eligibility status. Tonight is almost certainly all we will see of him this year. 5 points in 2 minutes is not a bad debut for a kid who is seen as needing a developmental year before he is really ready to make an impact.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Looks like the officials aren't going to allow Liberty to play their style of defense with what I am assuming touch fouls being called every possession. 12 team fouls. 18 FT attempts for VCU with 5 mins left to play.

The officials already in mid season form :roll:
Mid season form would be letting those go. Early season form is calling them
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
It's just an exhibition but that should get some attention. Good place to start from. Nice job. Looking forward to the season!
By Class of 20Something
Wasn't our offensive rebounding our Achilles heel last season? Stat line looks like it's been addressed.

Did VCU use us as a depth tester or as a warm up for starters? I don't trust that good of a win so soon.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We out rebounded VCU 33 to 30. :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VCU's KenPom rating was 83. Exhibition or not, this was an impressive showing on the road at a notoriously hostile venue. One can only hope this will translate into some excitement about the team and a better atmosphere in the Vines than we have been seeing of late.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't VCU normally do a lot of full court pressing and trapping? LU only had 13 turnovers compared to VCU's 20 turnovers.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Went to the game last night. Some thoughts:

* Someone asked if VCU was using Liberty as a tester ... well, I think both teams were using the game as a "tester." But you could tell which one had a first-year coach seeing his team for the first time in real live action. Liberty's offensive flow was really impressive, especially when VCU inexplicably stuck with a zone when the Flames were draining three after three in the first half. VCU's best player (Chris Tillman) is coming off a foot/ankle injury and he looked slow and unsure of himself. VCU also lost a couple of huge pieces off last year's team (Hamdy, Mo Alie Cox and Jequan Lewis), and the Rams looked disorganized on offense for about the first 25 minutes of the game.

* That's not to take away anything from Liberty. I think the Flames would have won regardless if this was VCU's first or second exhibition game. Cabbil did a great job of getting to the rim against some of VCU's bigs, and the ball movement to set up 3 pointers was fantastic. Talbert was on fire with that corner 3.

* I think of VCU's 20 turnovers, at least six or seven were offensive fouls. So that number was a little inflated.

* James and Isaiah Williams really stuck out as impressive players, as did the McDowell kid. What's up with those short shorts though?

* Hadn't really seen Pacheco-Ortiz up close before, but he controls the game with a quiet confidence. LU is strong at point guard.

* Yeah, the fouls. Both sides. So aggravating. It was nearly unwatchable by the end of the first half.

* The VCU fans were ready to lead a full-scale revolt against McCracken. I feel their pain.
By Class of 20Something
Chris Lang wrote:
* The VCU fans were ready to lead a full-scale revolt against McCracken. I feel their pain.
Am I the only one that really loves it? Sure it's annoying and distracting, but isn't that the point.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:
Am I the only one that really loves it? Sure it's annoying and distracting, but isn't that the point.
I have PTSD from hearing 32 games of it for my last two years on the beat. Did not help that LU stunk those years too. To each his own though. Ha.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
McCracken is one of my heroes. Love his devotion at LU games, both home and away. Also, Talbert was 7-8 from the field and scored 28 points; and here is another interesting stat from last night's game. :shock:
The newcomers (Elijah Cuffee, Isaiah Williams, Keegan McDowell, Scottie James and Brendan Newton) combined for 30 points, 19 rebounds and four assists.
http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 8&teamID=6
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I thought McCracken was supposed to have graduated and hung up the box, so to speak...
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
My wife and I can do without the screeching. It would be nice if the "LUnatics" showed back up to offer some "acceptable" noise. Nothing worse then an empty VInes and McCracken screeching . . .fingernails on a chalkboard times a million.
By Jonathan Carone
Chippy wrote:It would be nice if the "LUnatics" showed back up to offer some "acceptable" noise. Nothing worse then an empty VInes
We're long graduated and old now. It's up to the Jokers now to stop making excuses and show up at all the basketball games.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. What's up with the jokers? They are so dedicated for football but can't be bothered for basketball? I remember reading their lame excuses last year. I don't get it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
McCracken in back for grad school, and I hope he brings his box with him to the Vines Center. The key is to sit behind him, so his human siren is not directly in your ear.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]