If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Akron coach, Keith Dambrot, left to take Duquesne job in the Spring and a few younger folks transferred with him. I guess this one did not. Akron has been one of the top mid-majors for last 10-12 years. 21+ wins for 12 consecutive seasons!!!
Unless he gets an exception like Theo Johnson did when he transferred from C of C. With Isaiah having redshirted last year and a coaching change, I would say it's a possibility, but you never know with the NCAA.
I want to preface this by saying it's only one factor, and is generally overrated.

Having said that; maybe it's just me, but based on what I saw in the video, he's not exactly what you would call a "high flier".
oldflame wrote:I want to preface this by saying it's only one factor, and is generally overrated.

Having said that; maybe it's just me, but based on what I saw in the video, he's not exactly what you would call a "high flier".
I totally respect that Play Basketball
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:I want to preface this by saying it's only one factor, and is generally overrated.

So it's not just me 8)

I'm surprised you did not take the opportunity to remind us how the HS Purple led his state in rebounding despite being neither overly tall or immune to the effects of the earth's gravitational pull.
oldflame wrote: the HS Purple led his state in rebounding
I've honestly never heard that. :shock: :clapping
If he has to sit a year, he'll have just three years of eligibility with us unless granted a 6th year extension.

Clearly the staff valued his presence in the paint to give him the last scholarship. We'll have a rim protector by the time he hits the floor in BN. But if he knows how to scrap for boards at 6' 7", I am perfectly cool letting all of the scorers we are bringing aboard to fire away.
Sly Fox wrote:If he has to sit a year, he'll have just three years of eligibility with us unless granted a 6th year extension.

Clearly the staff valued his presence in the paint to give him the last scholarship. We'll have a rim protector by the time he hits the floor in BN. But if he knows how to scrap for boards at 6' 7", I am perfectly cool letting all of the scorers we are bringing aboard to fire away.
6th years are only granted when an athlete misses 2 entire seasons for legitimate medical reasons, and even then it is not a sure thing. However, if Isaiah could make an argument that the new coaching staff at Akron has a bias of some sort against him and he was not going to get a fair opportunity to play there, the NCAA can grant an exception to the one year residency requirement for transfers. The fact that he never actually played for Akron could also be a factor. Theo Johnson was able to make a convincing argument along those lines when he came from Charleston, and he played immediatly. I believe they have dubbed it the "force-out" exemption.
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

So it's not just me 8)

I'm surprised you did not take the opportunity to remind us how the HS Purple led his state in rebounding despite being neither overly tall or immune to the effects of the earth's gravitational pull.
How in the world do you know that? I don't remember ever mentioning that. :dontgetit
Now I'm nervous! Is your last name Putin?
Full disclosure, I lead the State for a lot of the year but I believe I ended the year 3rd but records were not reported due to 'disciplinary actions '
Purple Haize wrote:Full disclosure, I lead the State for a lot of the year but I believe I ended the year 3rd but records were not reported due to 'disciplinary actions'
Wasn't it Coach Meyer who said, "It's not where you start; it's where you finish"?
oldflame wrote:No worries Purple. My only source was something you posted here a long time ago. If I recall, the competition was someone who in fact was very tall and gravity-defying. Also very fertile.
Man. That's a solid memory right there. Yes he was an amazing athlete and very........well you know. :o I was so proud of those rankings my Senior year. I know I was leading until late in the year but I honestly don't remember where I actually would have officially finished. But it was cool to be up there with him... if only on paper! Play Basketball
Isaiah's Twitter account is much cleaner than most recruits I've seen. Anyways, one comment on Isaiah's twitter account says per James Rider that:

"Stivers grad Isaiah Williams transferring from Akron to Liberty. Will join forces with CJ grad Myo Baxter-Bell."

I haven't had time to do the research, so did Isaiah and Myo play together at Chaminade Julieen (previous school)??
Not trying to nitpick, but his commitment is to the University of Liberty?! Haha. Hopefully, Isaiah doesn't go out within the next few hours to get a tattoo to celebrate his new commitment.

"I just want to thank God for this opportunity, but I am excited to say that I am committed to the University of Liberty. #Blessed"

He might have ragrets.
That's a common mistake. I bet half of Purple's friends think he graduated from the University of West Virginia. :dontgetit
Cider Jim wrote:That's a common mistake. I bet half of Purple's friends think he graduated from the University of West Virginia. :dontgetit
The half that graduated probably! Study
libertyfan4life wrote:Isaiah's Twitter account is much cleaner than most recruits I've seen. Anyways, one comment on Isaiah's twitter account says per James Rider that:

"Stivers grad Isaiah Williams transferring from Akron to Liberty. Will join forces with CJ grad Myo Baxter-Bell."

I haven't had time to do the research, so did Isaiah and Myo play together at Chaminade Julieen (previous school)??
They were not teammates, but they likely played against each other at some point. I think the comment was meant to just point out that 2 Dayton natives would be joining forces at LU.
A Sea of Red wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:More on Williams

http://www.aseaofred.com/flames-pick-up ... rom-akron/
Story has been updated. Williams is eligible immediately and has 4 years of eligibility remaining. He "grey-shirted" at Akron this past season.
While I knew nothing about the Grey-shirt part, I'm not surprised to hear he will be eligible. It didn't make a lot of sense for us to bring in a transfer to sit this year. It makes the scholarship situation for 2018 even tighter, but there are a couple of outs available there. With Isaiah and Scottie James in the mix, we should be much stronger inside next year.

The roster situation appears to be set now, and one thing is clear. We will have no choice but to play bigger. Georgie and Lovell are the only true guards we have (not counting walk-ons). When either of them come out for any reason, one of our swing players will need to take on secondary ball handling duties. Of that group, I'm thinking Cuffee is the one with the best guard skills, but Kemrite and Homesley would also be options.
If he knew Baxter-Bell, hopefully that influenced his decision to come to LU.
Cider Jim wrote:If he knew Baxter-Bell, hopefully that influenced his decision to come to LU.
Could be. The geographic profile of the team has shifted from Texas to Ohio. I'm sure Sly will continue to gloat on that, especially since 2 of the 4 are from Cinci.
Dayton is a poor man's Cincy. Ritchie will continue to recruit the massive talent present in the Lone Star State. I have confidence in his intelligence. I know for a fact the LU Basketball Office is working harder to cultivate existing relationships down here.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]