If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jlread
Registration Days Posts
I haven't posted a topic in a while but.... with the new Epic football schedules that come out, I can't help but wonder what our basketball schedule will look like considering McCaw is from such a big basketball program!?!?! Where and when do we get to see it? Will we be playing Umass & UVA and The Lobos at home regularly (ha jk, sorta)? Did we sign up for duplicate Lobo football games each season to get a little extra love in return from the basketball side of things?!?!
Please remember that the LU basketball team is still in the Big South. The only sport moving to FBS is football. :football
Cider Jim wrote:Please remember that the LU basketball team is still in the Big South. The only sport moving to FBS is football. :football
True, which means 18 out of 30 or so games are set. There is certainly room to make the other 12 -14 games more attractive, although I am not a fan of playing too many high major games until we are better prepared to win at least some of them. Last year Ritchie upped the ante with the non conference schedule and ended up getting even more than he bargained for as several of our opponents ended up being better than expected.
oldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Please remember that the LU basketball team is still in the Big South. The only sport moving to FBS is football. :football
True, which means 18 out of 30 or so games are set. There is certainly room to make the other 12 -14 games more attractive, although I am not a fan of playing too many high major games until we are better prepared to win at least some of them. Last year Ritchie upped the ante with the non conference schedule and ended up getting even more than he bargained for as several of our opponents ended up being better than expected.

You can say that but there's still pros and cons about footballs schedule creating a boost in basketball. We may have played some known basketball teams and lost(Indiana, VCU, Princeton [if you'd include them with the others]), however those games have given the freshmen and sophomores a taste of playing a credible squad. Another pro is that these game gave the school some more exposure for basketball, especially the VCU game that LU didn't lose by so much. That being said this can help us during the recruiting periods later in the future. In my opinion, not saying I'm an expert in this, the scheduling similar to last season could give prospects of LU's desire to play with the "big dogs" and how they can create a new era for the school and be remembered because of it (we could probably use this on Kyler Edwards, whose dad is a Hall of Famer for the Flames). The cons is that everything that I've said could go sideways, but why should we just stay in the same position if we do not give it a try? I know you or even I want LU to stay in the Big South. It may take some time for growth but as LU grows, I would like our other teams to continue their growth as they play known teams (who knows what realignments would occur in the 2020's). In basketball, I rather play a VCU, Creighton, etc. on a annually basis and lose than staying in the Big South forever and being dominant or pretty good.

FBS is only for football. The other "Olympic"sports consist on a top or mid level tier. Most of the schools that play FBS football are at the mid-level. Awhile back I gave a thought of LU growing as an athletic department. I consist of properly funding the football team well in order to get better scheduling and more people considering of applying to attend the school. The athletic department is truly helpful for admissions, donations and community support (as IM stated in an interview). My idea was considering LU taking time in the olympic sports (while taking time developing academia and the employees of the school) in order to get more exposure. It is possible that realignments will occur in the 2020's, so why not build up some teams who can gain some credibility around the college world! One conference that I pointed out was the big east. PH laughed at the idea because we are not close but that's the point. Just like we weren't close to being an FBS eligible school, LU has to prove that they can be with the top dogs. I also concluded that most of the schools in the big east are "religious" and private (plus we already have our lady field hockey team in the conference. It really doesn't have to be the big east, it can be from the A-10 if some schools move to the big east or elsewhere.

F.Y.I. I'm not the expert, just pointing out things that could miraculously work :lol:
Is it confirmed that we're officially still Big South members for the other sports?
ATrain wrote:
Is it confirmed that we're officially still Big South members for the other sports?
Not that I know, but I'm thinking at this point "no news is good news". 8)
ATrain wrote:
I have not heard any differently so I would guess situation normal. If LU gets booted from the Big South in other sports........ouch
I believe the Big South has a meeting at MB this week or next. I hope y'all stay, it helps the conference.

As for OOC scheduling, I despise the non D-1 teams that coaches schedule. The Atlantic Sun, for all its' fluidity, when we were in it, had a rule that no school schedule more than 2 non-D1 teams a season. The BSC would be smart to implement such a rule, but Kallander couldn't find his rearend if he put both his hands in his back pockets, so it won't happen.

I know coaches like to pad win total, but it makes alot more sense, for G-W for example, to play nearby schools like Furman, Wofford, USC-Upstate, and Western Carolina than the Toccoa Falls and Warren Wilsons of the world. The BSC is a one bid league, losing games to schools like the ones listed won't make or break a team, and, even with losses, scheduling those help the overall RPI of the league.
I believe at this point the fact that we have been up front with our FBS intentions for so long weighs in our favor. The conference was prepared for the eventual move, although they probably thought it would come by conference invite and thus we would be leaving. Not sure many will admit it, but I think a lot of people are glad we ended up going the indy route and can stick around in other sports. IMHO it would be sheer lunacy to vote out their highest profile and best over-all program.
We're in the Big South for 2017-2018 academic/athletic year. My understanding is the university presidents need to vote if we can remain in the Big South after that in the other sports.
I believe the conference by-laws say that members must participate in all sports sponsored by the conference, but exceptions have been made for other sports (High Point and UNCA in softball, as ballcoach has pointed out and of course all the teams who do not have football)
oldflame wrote:I believe at this point the fact that we have been up front with our FBS intentions for so long weighs in our favor. The conference was prepared for the eventual move, although they probably thought it would come by conference invite and thus we would be leaving. Not sure many will admit it, but I think a lot of people are glad we ended up going the indy route and can stick around in other sports. IMHO it would be sheer lunacy to vote out their highest profile and best over-all program.
A school that can host the NISC on two days notice is a school you want in your conference. LFSN covers more than just football and adds production value and professionalism to any BSC rebroadcast and will help them with their rebrand.

We are all aware of our athletic facilities, but it's good to be reminded that baseball and softball both are top 7 must visit locations. The indoor track is one of the few hydraulic banks in the country, men's and women's basketball is competitive and helps keep the conference from getting too bottom heavy. Let alone us looking a building a dedicated basketball arena separate from vines.
We took some fans from Weber State on a tour yesterday, and they were absolutely amazed by our facilities. They flew in all the way from Utah and loved their stay with us. They couldn't get over how friendly and professional everyone was to them and how nice our softball stadium was. They thanked us over and over again for hosting the tournament and said it should be here every year!
Cider Jim wrote:We took some fans from Weber State on a tour yesterday, and they were absolutely amazed by our facilities. They flew in all the way from Utah and loved their stay with us. They couldn't get over how friendly and professional everyone was to them and how nice our softball stadium was. They thanked us over and over again for hosting the tournament and said it should be here every year!
Mormons and Baptists getting along!?!? :shock:
Class of 20Something wrote:
oldflame wrote:I believe at this point the fact that we have been up front with our FBS intentions for so long weighs in our favor. The conference was prepared for the eventual move, although they probably thought it would come by conference invite and thus we would be leaving. Not sure many will admit it, but I think a lot of people are glad we ended up going the indy route and can stick around in other sports. IMHO it would be sheer lunacy to vote out their highest profile and best over-all program.
A school that can host the NISC on two days notice is a school you want in your conference. LFSN covers more than just football and adds production value and professionalism to any BSC rebroadcast and will help them with their rebrand.

We are all aware of our athletic facilities, but it's good to be reminded that baseball and softball both are top 7 must visit locations. The indoor track is one of the few hydraulic banks in the country, men's and women's basketball is competitive and helps keep the conference from getting too bottom heavy. Let alone us looking a building a dedicated basketball arena separate from vines.
What you've stated are reasons why I'd hope that LU will move on when opportunities are given. Nonetheless right now is a good time to stay in the BS since there's not much advanced options.
oldflame wrote:I believe the conference by-laws say that members must participate in all sports sponsored by the conference, but exceptions have been made for other sports (High Point and UNCA in softball, as ballcoach has pointed out and of course all the teams who do not have football)
High Point and UNCA don't play softball at the Division I level.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]