If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Kyler Edwards
6' 4" 195 lbs Shooting Guard
Arlington (TX) Bowie HS

*** Son of LU All-American & Dallas Cowboys WR Kelvin 'Special K' Edwards ***

Rivals Profile 3- :star

Scout Profile 3- :star

247sports Profile 4- :star

Twitter

Holds Offers from (As of 4/24/17):
  • Boise State
    Georgia Tech
    Incarnate Word
    Iowa State
    Liberty
    Louisiana Tech
    LSU
    Nebraska
    New Mexico
    North Texas
    Oklahoma State
    SMU
    Tennessee-Martin
    Texas Tech
    Tulsa
    USC
    UT-Arlington
    UT-Rio Grande Valley
    Utah State

[youtube]z5gUBpLfUfQ[/youtube]

[youtube]medBT2w4Hy4[/youtube]

[youtube]YmyV7am2sME[/youtube]
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Some of us Old Hags went to school with Kelvin back in the day. He is easily the most talented WR we ever had play for the Flames and I am factoring in his teammate Fred Banks. He basically was a man among boys in our D2 days. He had built himself into a key receiver in the Pre-Troy Aikman days for the Cowboys until a knee injury derailed him. He was one of those phenomenal athletes that could have played multiple sports for us.

It appears the athletic prowess didn't skip a generation.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have a good feeling we will have Kyler on the team in 2018. Based on the way Kelvin talks about his alma mater, his son will probably need to file for emancipation to go anywhere else.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Some of us Old Hags went to school with Kelvin back in the day. He is easily the most talented WR we ever had play for the Flames and I am factoring in his teammate Fred Banks. He basically was a man among boys in our D2 days. He had built himself into a key receiver in the Pre-Troy Aikman days for the Cowboys until a knee injury derailed him. He was one of those phenomenal athletes that could have played multiple sports for us.

It appears the athletic prowess didn't skip a generation.
I would rank Kelvin and James McKnight as 1 and 1a on the list of Liberty WRs Ironically and sadly, both had their NFL careers cut short by knee problems. James also had knee surgery while at Liberty, which kept him from appearing more prominently in our record books.

Anyone else remember the epic show Kelvin and Gary Clark put on in Harrisonburg back when we actually had a rivalry with JMU?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Game On recently featured Kelvin in one of their segments. He said it was his mama who told him he was going to Liberty and that settled it. Let's hope he carries that tradition on with Kyler.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I believe that was the '84 season the year before I arrived on campus, Oldflame. I do remember the '85 season which I believe was our first ever victory over a Division I opponent and was either the week before or the week after the Treasure Island flood sent all our football gear down the James River. The '85 victory came against the Dukes featuring a defensive lineman who went on to win 6 Super Bowl rings as a player after nearly playing for the Flames.
By cruzan_flame13
flamehunter wrote:Game On recently featured Kelvin in one of their segments. He said it was his mama who told him he was going to Liberty and that settled it. Let's hope he carries that tradition on with Kyler.

We can only hope but he may want to stay close to home. Also doesn't Texas grant full or partial scholarship to born and raised Texans who attend college in their home state?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flamehunter wrote:Game On recently featured Kelvin in one of their segments. He said it was his mama who told him he was going to Liberty and that settled it. Let's hope he carries that tradition on with Kyler.

We can only hope but he may want to stay close to home. Also doesn't Texas grant full or partial scholarship to born and raised Texans who attend college in their home state?
Did you see the list of offers he has? Getting a scholarship will not be an issue. It will come down to a choice between playing (or trying to earn PT) at a high major program or being a legacy and a likely star at LU and making his pop happy.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: Also doesn't Texas grant full or partial scholarship to born and raised Texans who attend college in their home state?
That is news to me. Public school tuition rates are typically among the lowest in the nation. Most community colleges are heavily subsidized as part of tax zoning districts making them dirt cheap by 2017 national tuition standards.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Why would we wait for 15 other schools to offer? Seems like we should have been an early offer with our connection. I would.be worried that we have ground to make up now.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Why would we wait for 15 other schools to offer? Seems like we should have been an early offer with our connection. I would.be worried that we have ground to make up now.
We may not have been his first offer, but an offer from McKay actually means something. He has been unbelievably frugal in the number he has given out. Kyler is the first 2 guard we have offered for 2018, and will probably be the only one. If you look at his verbalcommits profile, a lot of the high major teams who have offered him have offers out to anywhere from 5 to 15 prospects at his position.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
jinxy wrote:Why would we wait for 15 other schools to offer? Seems like we should have been an early offer with our connection. I would.be worried that we have ground to make up now.
We may not have been his first offer, but an offer from McKay actually means something. He has been unbelievably frugal in the number he has given out. Kyler is the first 2 guard we have offered for 2018, and will probably be the only one. If you look at his verbalcommits profile, a lot of the high major teams who have offered him have offers out to anywhere from 5 to 15 prospects at his position.
This...and frankly I have more trust in McKay for that reason and his ability to sell Special K's son on his chances to make his own legacy on the mountain than you might jinxy
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Sounds good. Sorry bj i forgor were such a powerhouse that we can swoop in and get 4 stars at any time. Ha.
The fact that some programs offered Kyler earlier does not mean we are "swooping in" in late. Several months and a whole summer of AAU ball to play at minimum before he will be making any decisions. Smart kids will know that a lot of those coaches who offered early are using a shotgun approach. If they land one of the guys they REALLY want they will no longer need him.

Nothing wrong with being the first to show a player love of course. I think in this case we have so many 6'4" - 6'5" guys in the pipeline, they wanted to be sure he was something special/different before making the offer.

As far as 4 stars is concerned, that came from 247, and they are always playing free and loose with an extra star here and there. 3 stars from Rivals and Scout is solid, and plenty good for me.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 14th, 2021, 7:45 pm He landed today at the University of Houston.

Thanks, Jerry P. :banghead
I get where you are going, but don't think Kyler would have come to Liberty even if his dad was still on the payroll. It wouldn't even make sense from a roster standpoint right now, but of course if he had shown interest, they might have gone a different direction with DJ Moore. As a player, I think Kyler is a lot like Joseph Venzant. We'll be fine.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]