If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:As I have stated many times before, NCAA needs to crack down on transfers.
I feel like transferring after graduation should be at the student athletes will. There shouldn't be any restriction there. Remember the student part.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:As I have stated many times before, NCAA needs to crack down on transfers.
I feel like transferring after graduation should be at the student athletes will. There shouldn't be any restriction there. Remember the student part.
Yeah, once they've completed the degree off you go. To me it's an extra incentive to get your degree early. Of course, I would have transferred to Hawaii or something. Ha
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You keep saying the same thing over and over without a single shred of support for your position. It's your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but I for one am tired of hearing it ad nauseum. People have responded to you in the past with articulate explanations of why allowing student athletes the right to transfer with the penalty of sitting out a year is right and fair. Your response is basically "BALLCOACH NOT LIKE TRANSFERS. TRANSFERS BAD." You need to come to the table with more than that if you expect anyone to respect your position.

As a proud American citizen, I'm sure you believe you have the right to live and work (or study) where you choose to. As a veteran, you served your country to protect such rights. Why should anyone be denied that right simply because they are young and an athlete?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And it's not always about basketball. Maybe A.C. wants to pursue a master's degree that LU does not offer, and he is using that extra year of eligibility to fund his graduate education. Study
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote:And it's not always about basketball. Maybe A.C. wants to pursue a master's degree that LU does not offer, and he is using that extra year of eligibility to fund his graduate education. Study
Exactly my point with the Student aspect. AC isn't going pro. But what he can do is get a year out of some schools grad program for the cost of playing a sport he loves. That is a great financial decision. More power to him.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach if you believe there should be more restrictions on transfers do you also believe there scholarships should be 4 year guarantee? Because every year there are players who do not get their scholarships renewed for various reasons. Much like every year there are players who transfer for various reasons.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
And I suspect he wouldn't mind playing closer to friends and family for his final season. The Lone Star State has that kind of draw on its natives.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:And I suspect he wouldn't mind playing closer to friends and family for his final season. The Lone Star State has that kind of draw on its natives.
He could reunite with a fellow member of the LU recruiting class of 2014 at HBU.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Why transfer to Tenn State? :dontgetit
Because the obviously must offer a very specific master's program not available at LU. :wink:

Sarcasm aside, I believe there were also basketball related reasons for his moving on. With Homesley returning from injury, Kemrite back and Cuffee, Barber and McDowell coming in, the competition for minutes for a 6'5" SF who is primarily a spot up 3 point shooter ( but shot just 32% from 3 last year) was going to be tough. He was almost certainly looking at a reduced role. The fact that TSU wanted him would seem to indicate they need someone who can stretch the defense.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Why transfer to Tenn State? :dontgetit
Because the obviously must offer a very specific master's program not available at LU. :wink:

Sarcasm aside, I believe there were also basketball related reasons for his moving on. With Homesley returning from injury, Kemrite back and Cuffee, Barber and McDowell coming in, the competition for minutes for a 6'5" SF who is primarily a spot up 3 point shooter ( but shot just 32% from 3 last year) was going to be tough. He was almost certainly looking at a reduced role. The fact that TSU wanted him would seem to indicate they need someone who can stretch the defense.
+1. I think this was an encouraged transfer...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:He seemed to be a pretty good guy, what little I know about him, wish him nothing but the best.
Even with the extra opportunities to get credits by going to summer school on the scholarship dime, graduating in 3 years is no mean feat. Shows he has a solid work ethic. I hope things go well for him in Nashville.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
flameshaw wrote:He seemed to be a pretty good guy, what little I know about him, wish him nothing but the best.
Even with the extra opportunities to get credits by going to summer school on the scholarship dime, graduating in 3 years is no mean feat. Shows he has a solid work ethic. I hope things go well for him in Nashville.
I recall hearing during a televised game this season from Warner and Naz that AC had probably the highest basketball IQ on the team according to coach McKay. That's pretty high praise. Maybe coaching career in his future?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Tennessee State beat Middle Tenn on on the road last year. They have a great coaching staff and Nashville is a pretty cool city. This seems like a great decision to me. Good luck Ace! Hope I get to call a game or two for him next season.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Update: After playing in the team's first 10 games, and shooting 4/28 (14.3%) from the field (all 3s), Reid is no longer listed on TSU's roster.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]