If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Great year. Starting to get some momentum built with students again too. If we can keep this team together and add a few key freshman - we should be heading in the right direction.
By cruzan_flame13
prototype wrote:Great year. Starting to get some momentum built with students again too. If we can keep this team together and add a few key freshman - we should be heading in the right direction.
Next season will have Cuffee, who's a top scorer. Jay Barber is right behind him and Brandon Newton has played with top athletes for years in top camps. I can't remember the other player but he's been a top player at his high school. So I do see a bright future. We've already have a top player for the 2018 class so I hope this great recruiting keeps going and the excitement continue to spread throughout campus, the alumas, and the community.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Don't be suprised if the one you forgot, McDowell, is the best of next year's freshman class.
The key to next year's success is the development of our big men. Growth in the 4 and 5 spots will help us compete more evenly with top 100 teams. I am expecting big jumps from Brock, Myo, and the Talbert Brothers. Put that new weight room to use!
By cruzan_flame13
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Don't be suprised if the one you forgot, McDowell, is the best of next year's freshman class.
The key to next year's success is the development of our big men. Growth in the 4 and 5 spots will help us compete more evenly with top 100 teams. I am expecting big jumps from Brock, Myo, and the Talbert Brothers. Put that new weight room to use!
I wasn't sure of his last name, that's all. I saw some videos of his gameplay plus training. He is good and very hot at the three line. I knew his las name started with Mc but wasn't sure of the rest.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:Don't be suprised if the one you forgot, McDowell, is the best of next year's freshman class.
Move Kemrite to the 3 immediately. You can't have a 4 getting 2-3 rebounds a game. Against UMBC in 37 minutes he had 3 points and 0 rebounds. Gardner, Baxter-Bell and James playing the 4-5 with the Talberts backing up. The question is can Kemrite play D against quicker guards?
By VarsityLu
Great season. I love that so many games are online and watchable out of state. My boys and I have had so much fun the last two years watching LU grow under Ritchie McKay. We will certainly miss Dawson. Hard to believe that this is not McKay's best year at LU. That fact along with how many players are returning bodes well for the future of LU basketball. Can't wait until next season! Still looking for that 24 win season...

91-92 22 wins
93-94 18 wins, first ever NCAA Tourney
96-97 23 wins
03-04 18 wins, NCAA Tourney
08-09 23 wins, CIT Quarterfinals, first ever D1 post season win
12-13 15 wins, NCAA First Four
16-17 21 wins, CIT Semifinals
By R i
Registration Days Posts
We lost in the Quarterfinals of the CIT in 2017.

Cool look at the history of the program, thanks.
By VarsityLu
R i wrote:We lost in the Quarterfinals of the CIT in 2017.

Cool look at the history of the program, thanks.
Yeah, sorry. We went one round deeper this year, so when I saw we went to the quarterfinals in 2009, I just assumed we made the semis this year. The CIT only had 16 teams back in 09, so the extra win this year with a bigger field still only put us in the quarterfinals. My bad.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Caught McDowell on highlights of Ohio HS playoffs on local Cincy TV station over the weekend. He looks like a heady grinder from brief view. We could use more of those characteristics on the floor.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
We now have 1 scholarship open. Sorry to see JT go. Expected XB to go.
Maybe we can pick up a transfer big man.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Barmore has so much raw talent, he always looked really quick with the ball and had the ability to score. I think his strengths just didn't fit in to the style Mckay wants to play. Which is slow and methodical.

JT is confusing - I thought he was going to be a big time contributor next season.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My guess is that the late signing of Chen seriously cut into the potential minutes of playing time for Barmore, which likely frustrated him.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Barmore has so much raw talent, he always looked really quick with the ball and had the ability to score. I think his strengths just didn't fit in to the style Mckay wants to play. Which is slow and methodical.

JT is confusing - I thought he was going to be a big time contributor next season.
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in a long time because I got locked out of my account when my computer crashed and I couldn't remember my password. I tried the password retrieval process (several times), but never got an email, so I opened a new account. Manson, if you read this, I would love it if you could send a password to my yahoo email address so I can get back on my old account.

Xzavier and Josiah are both talented offensive players who struggled to catch on to the Pack Line. This is further evidence of how serious Ritchie is about defense. Josiah would have faced even more competition for minutes next year with James eligible, and still more if Newton does not redshirt. With Dawson and Chen gone, Barmore's departure means we will either bring in a grad transfer guard for the 3rd straight year, or we will go bigger, with Homesley, Cuffee or Kemrite playing some at the off guard and Cabbil sliding over to the point when Georgie needs a rest.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:I think Xavier's transfer has more to do with Darius McGhee than a grad transfer.
McGhee won't be arriving til 2018, and if Xzavier hadn't left we would not have a schollie for a transfer. Even so, it's by no means a sure thing we will bring in a guard. We could go with a big or an athletic forward. I think Zay Zay just realized he will probably never be very good in our defensive system and is better off somewhere else
By cruzan_flame13
TDDance234 wrote:I think Xavier's transfer has more to do with Darius McGhee than a grad transfer.
McGhee is just a junior in high school so he wouldn't be here until the 2018-19 season. Unless you're implying that McKay is thinking way ahead based on position roles. I hope the prospect Isaiah Payton would commit to LU as well. He's really good and would be a great contribution for the team.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
R i wrote:Barmore has so much raw talent, he always looked really quick with the ball and had the ability to score. I think his strengths just didn't fit in to the style Mckay wants to play. Which is slow and methodical.

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in a long time because I got locked out of my account when my computer crashed and I couldn't remember my password. I tried the password retrieval process (several times), but never got an email, so I opened a new account. Manson, if you read this, I would love it if you could send a password to my yahoo email address so I can get back on my old account.

Xzavier and Josiah are both talented offensive players who struggled to catch on to the Pack Line. This is further evidence of how serious Ritchie is about defense. Josiah would have faced even more competition for minutes next year with James eligible, and still more if Newton does not redshirt. With Dawson and Chen gone, Barmore's departure means we will either bring in a grad transfer guard for the 3rd straight year, or we will go bigger, with Homesley, Cuffee or Kemrite playing some at the off guard and Cabbil sliding over to the point when Georgie needs a rest.
Welcome Back
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Neo wrote:We all know that Barmore and Talbert aren't transferring on their own accord, right? Ok, just making sure.
It's not always a black and white thing. When Ritchie arrived, there were some players he didn't want in his program and he told them their scholarships wouldn't be renewed, so they transferred. Those were attitude and behavior issues moreso than basketball skills. That was not the case here. More than likely he was just brutally honest with them about their chances to play much going forward here. Players wanna play, so they will both be looking for a place where they will be able to make more of a contribution on the court. If either of them had expressed a desire to stay anyway and try to compete for PT, McKay would have had to make some tough decisions.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I expected Ezra to leave but after his performance the last couple of games I guess Ritchie decided to keep him around. I expect the coaching staff to hit the transfer market and go after an offensive 3 who can play the 4/5.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]