If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
oldflame wrote:
R i wrote:Barmore has so much raw talent, he always looked really quick with the ball and had the ability to score. I think his strengths just didn't fit in to the style Mckay wants to play. Which is slow and methodical.

JT is confusing - I thought he was going to be a big time contributor next season.
Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in a long time because I got locked out of my account when my computer crashed and I couldn't remember my password. I tried the password retrieval process (several times), but never got an email, so I opened a new account. Manson, if you read this, I would love it if you could send a password to my yahoo email address so I can get back on my old account.

Xzavier and Josiah are both talented offensive players who struggled to catch on to the Pack Line. This is further evidence of how serious Ritchie is about defense. Josiah would have faced even more competition for minutes next year with James eligible, and still more if Newton does not redshirt. With Dawson and Chen gone, Barmore's departure means we will either bring in a grad transfer guard for the 3rd straight year, or we will go bigger, with Homesley, Cuffee or Kemrite playing some at the off guard and Cabbil sliding over to the point when Georgie needs a rest.
Check your email
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:I wish him well. He really improved his game from being solely a 3 pt threat, his defense especially.
agreed.

This leaves open another scholarship for two transfers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:A.C. Reid to transfer

http://www.aseaofred.com/ac-reid-to-transfer/
I'm normally not one to blow my own horn, but:
oldflame wrote:Not a fan of tying up a roster spot and a schollie for 2 years to get 1 season on the court, which is Shayok's status. Better IMHO to look for grad transfers who can play right away or players who can give you at least 2 years after they sit one. Preferably 3.

As of this moment we have only one scholarship available, but I can think of at least one more returner who is almost certainly looking at a greatly reduced role next year and may be better off moving on.
Toot Toot 8)

I could see this coming. With Caleb returning and the arrival of Cuffee and McDowell, AC would have had 4 similar players in the 6'4" to 6'5" range competing with him for minutes. With him graduating, this is a smart move. I'll be interested to see where he lands.
Last edited by olldflame on April 12th, 2017, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:
flamehunter wrote:I wish him well. He really improved his game from being solely a 3 pt threat, his defense especially.
agreed.

This leaves open another scholarship for two transfers.
2 new players, yes, and I agree there is a likelihood both will be transfers, but I'll happily welcome a Spring HS signee if we could land someone as good as Georgie again.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I am thankful for all AC has done for the program and wish him nothing but the best. Not a huge suprise for the reasons others have mentioned but we will miss him.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
jinxy wrote:I would think newton might get 1 one of them.
Very possible.
agreed.

It will be interesting to see what the coaching staff decides to do. explains them courting Martin and Shayok. I wouldn't mind seeing a late HS signee.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Unless a VERY GOOD true guard who is not yet on our radar joins the roster either as a grad transfer or HS signee, our lineup will look quite a bit different next year. Lovell and Georgie will still be the starting back court, but all the minutes off the bench will come from bigger players like Homesley, Cuffee or Kemrite at the 2. I also see us going more with 2 bigs.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For those who are hoping we bring in a grad transfer big guy, 2 names stood out to me on the list at Verbalcommits

Jack Whitman - W&M
Mark Donnal - Michigan

Both are 6'9" and around 240.

Whitman gave us fits when we played them, going for 16 pts and 9 boards, and would have had more if he had not been in foul trouble.

Donnall was a 4 star out of HS. He will get a lot of offers. Whether he would consider a place like Liberty would depend on whether the things that make the school unique appeal to him and how badly he wants PT in his final season of eligibility. At this point I don't know if Jeff Meyer being on the staff at MI would be a plus or minus for us.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Unless a VERY GOOD true guard who is not yet on our radar joins the roster either as a grad transfer or HS signee, our lineup will look quite a bit different next year. Lovell and Georgie will still be the starting back court, but all the minutes off the bench will come from bigger players like Homesley, Cuffee or Kemrite at the 2. I also see us going more with 2 bigs.

I don't see Kenrite or Homesley playing the 2 and don't know much about Cuffees' ball handling. Kemrite and Homesley are natural 3's - Kemrite played out of position all year at the 4. The 2 nowadays is a 1 with the ability to shoot and is interchangeable with the 1. I don't believe those 3 mentioned are point guard types.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Matt Warner just did a season wrap-up interview with RMK

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 38&TeamID=

Well worth a listen. IMHO the most interesting part is at the very end when Matt tries to press him on whether the 2017 recruiting class is complete. He was actually pretty forthcoming, and said "We are still recruiting. Our assistants have identified some players, and we plan on finishing our recruiting season with a BANG." Not sure if he considers a transfer who won't see the court for a year a bang or not. Interesting choice of words.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We still have one scholarship open for this coming year, but in looking at the situation for the class of 2018, I will be shocked if we bring in anyone other than a grad transfer. Either that or stand pat with what we have.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:For those who are hoping we bring in a grad transfer big guy, 2 names stood out to me on the list at Verbalcommits

Jack Whitman - W&M
Mark Donnal - Michigan

Both are 6'9" and around 240.

Whitman gave us fits when we played them, going for 16 pts and 9 boards, and would have had more if he had not been in foul trouble.

Donnall was a 4 star out of HS. He will get a lot of offers. Whether he would consider a place like Liberty would depend on whether the things that make the school unique appeal to him and how badly he wants PT in his final season of eligibility. At this point I don't know if Jeff Meyer being on the staff at MI would be a plus or minus for us.
For what it's worth, Donnall is transferring to Clemson and Whitman to Kansas. Experienced big men who can transfer in and play right away are obviously in demand.Ironically, Whitman will likely jump into whatever role Evan Maxwell would have had if he had stuck around there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Whatever happened to Evan?
Things didn't work out for him at Kansas and he announced at the end of the first semester he would be transferring again. I have heard nothing about where he might end up, but anywhere in D1 I believe he will have to sit another year and then play 1.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Less than a week til the end of Spring signing period, and we still have a scholarship for 2017-18. Of course the 5/17 deadline only applies to HS players and at this point I highly doubt we will sign one because of the 2018 scholarship situation. I'd say grad transfer or nothing, and we theoretically have until August, although I'm sure they would rather have him on board for summer classes and workouts.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
And the signing period has come and gone. No surprise at all we are standing pat. My bold prediction is that for the 3rd year in a row we will bring in a grad transfer guard. As things stand, Cabbil and Pacheco are the only true guards on the roster (not counting walkons). I expect to see both Cuffee and Homesley get some minutes at the 2, but I don't think Ritchie will be comfortable with that as his only option any time one of the starting guards needs to come out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote:Barmore and Josiah Talbert to transfer

http://www.aseaofred.com/barmore-and-j- ... -transfer/
Xzavier will be playing at College of Central Florida (JUCO) next season. He should then be able to transfer to a 4 year program for2 more years.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/xzavier-barmore

No word on a landing spot for Josiah, but I would not be surprised to see him take a similar path.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Whatever happened to Evan?
Evan is transferring to Indiana Wesleyan (NAIA :shock: ). While I never understood why all those high major schools, including Kansas, were so hot to land him when he left LU, this is certainly a huge step down from Rock Chock Jayhawk. He is an offensive weapon when opponents go straight man up on him in the post, but he panics at the first sign of a double team and is not a rim protector or a particularly good defender in general. Having said that, he is still a PDG low D1 post player, and unless he is just playing out the string he should be quite a force to be reckoned with at the NAIA level
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]