If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Marial Shayok (SF / SG ) -

Jared Reuter (PF/C) -

Darius Thompson (SG/SF) -

All three of these UVA basketball players are transferring. LU is an obvious spot to watch with so much of our staff being at UVA when these guys were recruited. It appears that they are leaving the program to make room for some recruits and a couple redshirt guys. Each of them would dramatically improve our very young team.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I disagree, I'd rather have Talbert or Bell over Reuter every day of the week. Thompson is a 3 point threat and knows the defense but that's about it. Shayok has the most upside but likely has the most suitors. He also plays out of control a lot and struggled to always play D.

Thompson would the make sense because he could play right away but i wouldn't even want Reuter and Shayok will probably be looking for a bigger school is my guess.
By cruzan_flame13
R i wrote:Marial Shayok (SF / SG ) -

Jared Reuter (PF/C) -

Darius Thompson (SG/SF) -

All three of these UVA basketball players are transferring. LU is an obvious spot to watch with so much of our staff being at UVA when these guys were recruited. It appears that they are leaving the program to make room for some recruits and a couple redshirt guys. Each of them would dramatically improve our very young team.
Do you really think they'll come to Liberty? I'm not asking this in harsh way, but UVA is well known whilst LU is sort of known. I mean I'm all for them coming here to play ball under McKay, but I'm just wondering if they'd actually look into LU.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
History would suggest that we definitely are an option. We are tight on scholarships so Ritchie will really have to feel that one of these guys is a big upgrade for it to happen.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote: Marial Shayok (SF / SG ) - 6'5" - 1 season of eligibility left. Averaged 4,4,8 points per game in his time at UVA. He is from New Jersey, and according to Rivals was recruited by Ron Sanchez to UVA. I would say he is a long shot to end up at LU.

Jared Reuter (PF/C) - 6'8" - 2 seasons of eligibility left. Averaged 2 and 4 points in his two seasons with the wahoos. He is from New Hampshire. He fills the biggest need at LU, and has most eligibility of the three. He would be the most likely of the three to land at LU in my opinion.

Darius Thompson (SG/SF) - 6'4" - 1 season of eligibility and has already used a RS when he transferred from Tennessee after his freshman year. He is from Tennessee. He averaged 4 and 6 points in his two seasons at UVA. I do not see Mckay taking a flyer on him, but would love having him on the team for a season.

By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:Not a UVA player but apparently ORU transfer Kris Martin is set to visit the campus either this weekend or next.

You don't think Shayok will choose LU?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
ballah09 wrote:Not a UVA player but apparently ORU transfer Kris Martin is set to visit the campus either this weekend or next.

Iowa St and Baylor seem to fit his skill set more. But he'd be a monster in the Big South
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

Iowa St and Baylor seem to fit his skill set more. But he'd be a monster in the Big South
We could even get some non-conference wins from known teams. This would be a boost for the program. Also, I wonder if he is actually interested in LU or in McKay who uses similar techniques that he brought from UVA.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Both are similar players. I do think Shayok is going to be tough to land as he has a couple of top 25 options to choose from. IF they do manage to land him along with Martin I think it's just another case of over recruiting and you'll see another player transfer out.

I think Shayok is a long shot. The UVA connections is giving us a chance but we can't compete against the Big 12 and the Big East. As for Martin he's 6'7 , athletic and a scorer who shot 40% from 3. more realistic option.
By cruzan_flame13
ballah09 wrote:Both are similar players. I do think Shayok is going to be tough to land as he has a couple of top 25 options to choose from. IF they do manage to land him along with Martin I think it's just another case of over recruiting and you'll see another player transfer out.

I think Shayok is a long shot. The UVA connections is giving us a chance but we can't compete against the Big 12 and the Big East. As for Martin he's 6'7 , athletic and a scorer who shot 40% from 3. more realistic option.
That's true ballah, Martin is a pretty good player. I thought there was only 1 scholarship left?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Martin's bio at ORU: http://www.oruathletics.com/sports/mbkb ... o?view=bio

He's a 6'6" guard and was their best 3-point shooter.

Shayok's bio at UVa (he's an English major): Study http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m- ... 06584.html
By cruzan_flame13
Cider Jim wrote:Martin's bio at ORU: http://www.oruathletics.com/sports/mbkb ... o?view=bio

Shayok's bio at UVa (he's an English major): Study http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m- ... 06584.html
Mr. Shayok seem like an interesting fellow on and off the court. He would be a great addition to the team. Yes, there are other better teams to choose from, but this man is looking for a good team and great academia. I mean LU is there for academia, and I'm sure McKay's connection with UVA could help out too. Martin seems like a good catch as well with academia and a good program. I'm sure McKay and the crew can reel him in as well. I wonder if we can have both?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Martin's bio at ORU: http://www.oruathletics.com/sports/mbkb ... o?view=bio

Recruit him as a 2 'Sport' Athlete. Hoops and Quiz Bowl!!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not a fan of tying up a roster spot and a schollie for 2 years to get 1 season on the court, which is Shayok's status. Better IMHO to look for grad transfers who can play right away or players who can give you at least 2 years after they sit one. Preferably 3.

As of this moment we have only one scholarship available, but I can think of at least one more returner who is almost certainly looking at a greatly reduced role next year and may be better off moving on.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: I mean LU is there for academia...
LU has over 20 current D1 athletes who are part of our Honors Program who are getting strong academics Study and playing D1 sports. Play Basketball
By cruzan_flame13
Cider Jim wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote: I mean LU is there for academia...
LU has over 20 current D1 athletes who are part of our Honors Program who are getting strong academics Study and playing D1 sports. Play Basketball
Nice! That's what I like to know! Go LU!!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:If there is a Texan up for grabs, you know where my heart is leaning. It wouldn't be a big transition culturally from ORU to LU.
Especially now that LU also has a tower!!!
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
100% agree with Oldflame. I would only consider it if it were a def. difference maker in an absolute position of need. You could argue the only position that we could somewhat say that is true is another post player. I would rather have the ORU kid.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
While I'm all for exploring every option out there to upgrade our roster, and that certainly includes transfers, let's not forget that the newcomer who made the greatest impact on the floor last year was a Freshman we signed in the Spring and many of us looked at as a roster-filler. Now we are likely looking at him being a 4 year starter at PG. There are no doubt still some unsigned hidden gems in the HS class of 17, and I'm sure Ritchie and his crew are looking at some of them as well
By cruzan_flame13
oldflame wrote:While I'm all for exploring every option out there to upgrade our roster, and that certainly includes transfers, let's not forget that the newcomer who made the greatest impact on the floor last year was a Freshman we signed in the Spring and many of us looked at as a roster-filler. Now we are likely looking at him being a 4 year starter at PG. There are no doubt still some unsigned hidden gems in the HS class of 17, and I'm sure Ritchie and his crew are looking at some of them as well
True Oldflame, although I feel we are good with what we already have for next season. I feel like this transfer will be used for extra precautions based on the Homesley incident that happened this past season. As you stated, coach might look into some late prospects of the class of 2017. At this point a transfer would be a better route based on the fact that they're already experienced on a college level. This means that we can have a better season with a powerful squad, a greater chance to win the conference, be a bid for the tourney, and finally get into homes of top prospects for future classes. With that being said, I'm not saying that the other route is a bad idea either.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Neither of these guys are Grad transfers right? So they couldn't play next year
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]