If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like a great addition and fits our style. How many scholarships do we have for 18? Do we have a 2018 recruiting needs/targets thread?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Hugh commit. dude can light it up and he has amazing hops for a little guy.
Houston Wilson‏
@Hou_Makeplayz

Follow
More
2018 Darius McGhee of Blue Ridge has committed to Liberty University, per source
since I can't link youtube videos. His highlight tape.
[youtube]2_oY3LApJHA[/youtube]
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
there was two open spots before McGhee committed. Liberty has one more scholarship open and right now they are going hard after Blake Preston (forward) out of Charlotte.

As for 2017. I don't know the Barber situation but Liberty is over the limit by one (James doesn't count since his mom works at Liberty). Someone is not going to get their scholarship renewed. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple people leave.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
From his video, it looks like this kid can flat ball out. A high basketball IQ will more than make up for size and it looks like Darius has that. He could turn out to be an absolute steal for the program and RMK. Almost wish we could fast forward the 2017 season to see how good this 2018 squad will be.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
After watching the big south tournament, it should be evident that the best two players in our league were super undersized. So Darius' size will not be a factor in the Big South.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:After watching the big south tournament, it should be evident that the best two players in our league were super undersized. So Darius' size will not be a factor in the Big South.
The similarities to Chris Clemons are striking. :shock:

One can only hope he makes the transition to D1 ball successfully and ends up being that good!

Players 5'9" or shorter have been POY candidates in the BSC for almost a decade now, starting with Saah Nimley at Chuck South. I can't wait to see Darius in RW&B. I look for his numbers to be much more impressive his Senior year at Blue Ridge, although with the level of competition they play, there is no way he will approach the 38ppg he scored for a small christian school in NC as a Soph. They had a ton of outstanding Seniors, including a PG on their state champioinship team this year. Next year he should be the go-to guy.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Charlottesville Daily Progress wrote:Seniors Darius McGhee and Myles Jones left on Friday for a week playing and teaching the game with Global Squad in Manila, Philippines.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience a different culture and see how other people live and play the game,” Blue Ridge head coach Cade Lemcke said. “It’s a good opportunity for them to experience different styles of coaching and see how the game is played in different parts of the world.”

Global Squad was formed by three brothers, John, Jeremy and Joe Alexander, who experienced difficulty getting recruited to play college basketball in the United States after growing up in China. Their goal is to help players abroad gain exposure and help U.S. players experience the international game.

McGhee is a Liberty University commit who scored this 3,000th career point this season and helped the Barons finish as VISAA Division II state runner-up with a team-high 19.6 points a game and 101 made 3-pointers.
Click Here for Full Story
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
libertyfan4life wrote:Per social media McGee said this week he had been measured with a 48 inch vertical. His aim is 50 inches.
Was that on his instagram? That's a world-class vertical, but after seeing his video, I'm not really surprised.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts
Sarcasm dully noted, but perhaps that 48 inches WAS higher than anyone HAD ever jumped at either the NBA or NFL combine.

Or, maybe Darius took a trip north to Canada and meant to say that he jumped 48 "centimeters" (which is about 19 inches) instead?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
libertyfan4life wrote:Sarcasm dully noted, but perhaps that 48 inches WAS higher than anyone HAD ever jumped at either the NBA or NFL combine.

Or, maybe Darius took a trip north to Canada and meant to say that he jumped 48 "centimeters" (which is about 19 inches) instead?
Who did you think was being sarcastic? Not me. That was a simple statement of fact. The combine heights are VERY carefully measured. I am curious as to how that was done in this case, but I have no reason to question it..
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I covered a basketball player for the Longhorns who had a 48" vert who was also the NCAA high jump champion. I remember quite a few DBs & WRs at Pro Days for the Horns with verts in that neighborhood as well. Having an incredible vert has no downside. But there are people with verticals around 50" who simply don't have game. The combination of the two is exceptionally rare. The mixtapes we have seen online indicate that Darius' game is not in question.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts
I have not watched it yet and I don't have the link either as I'm on business but Darius was live on Sports Desk yesterday.

Lookup: "ASEAN Top Baller Helps Players Reach Their Potential." Darius appears on Sports Desk with Myles Jones on CNN. Alot of people sharing it and talking about it online related to Darius.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]