If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
LUconn wrote:Way to hijack my thread jerks. I was trying to have some fun around here at the expense of our endless futility :beatinghorse :beatinghorse

My apologies. Clearly if you look through the thread I was minding my own business with my comment and I was confronted with a response of consuming. I show proof, yet I'm still assuming smh. This thread will now be about defining Liberty. Hopefully folks will understand looking at definitions without using it against themselves from now on.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Libertying:
Verb-[lib-er-tee-ing]
Synonyms: Barving(See Atlanta Braves), Falconing(See Super Bowl)
Definition:
despite a plethora of factors in a teams favor(i.e money facilities, personnel etc.)continuing to fail at winning the "big game" whether that is a playoff game or a game against a quality opponent. This verb does not necessarily qualify its team as a loser just one that loses when the stage happens to be larger than normal.
Alternate definition:
A team who based on measurable data is better than their opponent and has an opportunity to establish itself in a prime position for a playoff run but inexplicably falls to a lower opponent.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Liberty is 1-1 all time in college football playoffs. Your point still stands, just thought maybe you should use a different word or group of games.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Liberty is 1-1 all time in college football playoffs. Your point still stands, just thought maybe you should use a different word or group of games.
"Big games" encompass far more than just FCS playoffs. There is definitely something to be said about Liberty's inability to win the important games. Have they done it? Yes, in a couple instances across all sports in the last 40 years.
By Class of 20Something
LUnpretty11 wrote:
R i wrote:Liberty is 1-1 all time in college football playoffs. Your point still stands, just thought maybe you should use a different word or group of games.
"Big games" encompass far more than just FCS playoffs. There is definitely something to be said about Liberty's inability to win the important games. Have they done it? Yes, in a couple instances across all sports in the last 40 years.
Let's all forget about CCU and JMU in back to back games.
By Neo
Class of 20Something wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:
You must have forgotten about 2016 CSU & Jacksonville State, 2015 Southern Illinois & Charleston Southern, 2013 Richmond, ODU & Coastal.

And that's just from football.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
Trust me, I am the last person to forget about the monumental wins Liberty has achieved in the last decade. The fact remains, those games are far and few between when compared to the number of opportunities to win such games.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote: Trust me, I am the last person to forget about the monumental wins Liberty has achieved in the last decade. The fact remains, those games are few and far between when compared to the number of opportunities to win such games.
FIFY Pretty

Anyway, for me Liberty is defined by two things

1. Failing to live up to fans' at times overblown expectations and their own marketing/PR (emphasis added so folks don't get it twisted)
2. Inability to take the "next step"
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
you sound like a Braves fan when referring to the one world championship. Congrats we won on a big stage once. ONE time. There is probably one of those moments in each of the sports. however... the amount of times we've either crapped the bed in a close game or gotten completely run out of the stadium exponentially outweighs the big time wins. Hence the verb.
By Class of 20Something
I mean we can sit here and crap on our team for not living up to some fairly high expectations or be real fans and start actually trying to build up our school. I work a retail counter and am routinely telling customers about the FBS move. I'm telling them there isn't a better production value football game out there for the price. I convinced co-workers to GoTo their first Lu football game after living here for decades. Sure we lose big games. But last I checked we are undefeated against Sunbelt teams. We left the CCU rivalry at .500. And we are moving up with the mid majors. So while you define them by their shortcomings, we are a 45 year old school competing with some schools that are older than the country itself. The dissonance between some of the hype threads and this is astounding. Someone find the next youngest FBS school. We are well ahead of the schedule most of us had in our heads. We haven't had a losing season in more than 10 years in football. But like I said before, let's keep crapping on our team. As you were.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:I mean we can sit here and crap on our team for not living up to some fairly high expectations or be real fans and start actually trying to build up our school. We haven't had a losing season in more than 10 years in football. But like I said before, let's keep crapping on our team. As you were.

Standing Ovay ! :clapping
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
I'm not aware of anyone "crapping on our team". FFG, I love ya, but the Braves aren't a great example here.
20Something - I fully support our team and talk Liberty sports up to anyone and everyone when I have the opportunity. I go out of my way to talk up LU. I am known for being a homer and avid fan. I have bought into the vision and goal for Liberty athletics as much as anyone else. With that said, admitting Liberty is notorious for falling short in games when it matters most is not hating on the team. As an avid fan (I annoy my LU Alum wife with my fandom), I (others) can express frustration and admit facts about shortcomings without "crapping on the team". The issue is, Liberty gets good and achieves enough to get your hopes all the way up, then they lose and tear your heart out. I think that's what people are referring to and doing so without "crapping on our team".
By R i
Registration Days Posts
See... this entire thread.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well when almost all of the focus is placed on the times LU has "come up short" (and believe me Im not unaware of those occasions either), then I think it stands to reason that it comes across like all we do is "crap on our team". Im not saying that we have to ignore the games where we come up short, but at least acknowledge that we have had plenty of good moments to celebrate as well...and maybe learn to temper our expectations to a small degree, while still supporting them.

I wonder if there is a peer-reviewed study into the psychological effects of fan and administrative expectations on coach and player performance?
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Well when almost all of the focus is placed on the times LU has "come up short" (and believe me Im not unaware of those occasions either), then I think it stands to reason that it comes across like all we do is "crap on our team". Im not saying that we have to ignore the games where we come up short, but at least acknowledge that we have had plenty of good moments to celebrate as well...and maybe learn to temper our expectations to a small degree, while still supporting them.

I wonder if there is a peer-reviewed study into the psychological effects of fan and administrative expectations on coach and player performance?
1. No, I don't think it does at all. People have to figure out you can be an avid fan and still point out the facts.
2. The "other side" is trying to tell people to not point out where Liberty has "fallen short" because we shouldn't "crap on our school".
3. Every fan celebrates together when Liberty wins.
4. Underlined part - you can't be serious.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My thing is if youre going to focus on the times they come up short, then you ought to show some semblance of balance and give equal focus (or at least more than a token mention when focusing on the shortcomings) to the times when they DO come through

And Im not completely serious in mentioning the underlined, but it would be interesting if someone actually had put something toward looking into something like that (although apparently it would make such a person the object of scorn and derision and probably an audit)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Well when almost all of the focus is placed on the times LU has "come up short" (and believe me Im not unaware of those occasions either), then I think it stands to reason that it comes across like all we do is "crap on our team". Im not saying that we have to ignore the games where we come up short, but at least acknowledge that we have had plenty of good moments to celebrate as well...and maybe learn to temper our expectations to a small degree, while still supporting them.

1. No, I don't think it does at all. People have to figure out you can be an avid fan and still point out the facts.
2. The "other side" is trying to tell people to not point out where Liberty has "fallen short" because we shouldn't "crap on our school".
3. Every fan celebrates together when Liberty wins.
4. Underlined part - you can't be serious.
Careful. You are dangerously close to the :flamingdevil
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Beej, you're missing the mark. Making your point toward me is completely misguided. Making it toward SJ or PH, sure. Me? You're way off. I celebrate, acknowledge and defend every monumental LU win.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: Careful. You are dangerously close to the :flamingdevil
I've never known the :flamingdevil to ever be based on facts :flamingdevil only cynicism :flamingdevil
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
I've never known the :flamingdevil to ever be based on facts :flamingdevil only cynicism :flamingdevil
See? You are becoming wise as you learn more and more
By VarsityLu
Class of 20Something wrote:Team with fans with unrealistic expectations of a team whose style of play takes an average of 4-5 years to correctly implement.
No offense, but if you think LU fans have unrealistic expectations, you really must not follow college sports very closely. I live in a P5 town that is great at the major sports. You want to see fans with unrealistic expectations, try listening to coaches shows where people complain about only beating a top 25 team by 30 points. If you're not a #1 seed or in the CFP, forget it. The coach need to go. Now those are unrealistic expectations.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Team with fans with unrealistic expectations of a team whose style of play takes an average of 4-5 years to correctly implement.
No offense, but if you think LU fans have unrealistic expectations, you really must not follow college sports very closely. I live in a P5 town that is great at the major sports. You want to see fans with unrealistic expectations, try listening to coaches shows where people complain about only beating a top 25 team by 30 points. If you're not a #1 seed or in the CFP, forget it. The coach need to go. Now those are unrealistic expectations.
I don't think it's unrealistic expectations. It's more a sense of scale or perspective. It's a very 'Name It Claim It' Circa 1987 Televangelist mindset.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
VarsityLu wrote:
I don't think it's unrealistic expectations. It's more a sense of scale or perspective. It's a very 'Name It Claim It' Circa 1987 Televangelist mindset.
I want that mountain
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:
See? You are becoming wise as you learn more and more
I like to think of it as being a realist not cynical.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]