If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Do we know the tie breaker in basketball ?
By kingaling42
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Do we know the tie breaker in basketball ?
Should be pretty straight forward since each team plays each other twice.. head to head then teams record against top down..
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Thanks King,

Looking at likely scenarios and considering tie breaker, LU will need to beat both UNCA and Winthrop on the road to host quarter and semi.

I am hoping for Asheville if not LU. Free place to stay.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
No surprises in game 1/4 of the race for #1.

LU , WU , UNCA all handled their business. LU gets a shot at both of these teams with three games remaining. With a win Saturday, the Flames will likely have a top two finish in the regular season conference standings. With a loss Saturday, Liberty essentially is eliminated from the race for #1.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
1st would be incredible. I still think 3rd is most likely. I would be elated if we could go 2 and 1 in the last 3. Just find a way to crack the code against Winthrop or more importantly Asheville. We showed we can beatalk Winthrop last year when were shoot well. We haven't show a thing against unca yet.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Now, unless an upset of WU of epic proportions by either CSU or PC takes place, the quarters and semis will be in Asheville or Rock Hill.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote:Gardner-Webb is beating UNC Asheville with 50 seconds left and the lights go out.
I saw that. It's final now -- down goes UNCA
By Class of 20Something
lawrenceq wrote:
Kricket wrote:Gardner-Webb is beating UNC Asheville with 50 seconds left and the lights go out.
I saw that. It's final now -- down goes UNCA
And Winthrop and PC play before LU. A PC win and LU controls their own destiny!(right? I'm new to NCAAM)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Think about this gang...

Liberty is 0-3 against Winthrop and UNCA heading into Saturday...and 14-0 against EVERYONE ELSE
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:A PC win and LU controls their own destiny!(right? I'm new to NCAAM)
Yeah, but PC is about the worst team in D1 basketball, so it's a bit unlikely.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Think about this gang...

Liberty is 0-3 against Winthrop and UNCA heading into Saturday...and 14-0 against EVERYONE ELSE
It's good to beat the teams you're supposed to beat. Unfortunately it doesn't give LU much chance of toppling either in the conference tournament, but anything can happen.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I agree...i just wanted to share that because those two are the only teams that we haven't been able to figure out
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
We took the 3 ball away from them last night and took our chances with them driving to the rim for the most part. Add in that they caught our foul shooting ineptitude disease, and we won.

Now, here is my theory about the lights going out (nothing to do with the NAIA/D2 mindset of running a D1 program that Upchuck has).....in my student days (circa a LONG time ago 1991-94), we would play a lot of pickup ball, we did alot of it in Bost Gym, the legendary home of the 82-game home win streak, etc., mainly since it was closer to our dorms, and stayed open longer. We did venture over to Porter Arena and play every now and then, but I remember a couple of times in there late on a Friday night around 11 or so and the lights going off since they were on a timer to go off at 11. Theory....that same damned timer is in use 25 years later. :lol:
By kingaling42
Registration Days Posts
Evidently RPI does come into play potentially.. So if UNCA, WU, & HP all win today the tiebreaker comes down to RPI.. not just the head to head for HP/GWebb..

That would bode well for the Bulldogs who are slightly higher than WU and playing Liberty can only help since WU faces #346 Presby..

You can read more here: http://bigsouthsports.com/news/2017/2/2 ... 73020.aspx and the scenario explanation is here: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/b ... narios.pdf
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]