If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
In the previous match up with Radford, LU made only free throws in over time to win. Radford figured out something in the second half, and that was offensive rebounding was seemingly simple against the Flames. Radford is better than their record indicates, and this will be a tough match up for the Flames at home. I expect a win, but not in similar fashion to our last 3 blowouts.

Saturday Feb 4th at 7:00 in the Vines.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
A.C. Reid with the dagger to win the game 57-54
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I tell ya, unsung hero of this ball club is Georgie. Just checked his stats, ONLY 8 turnovers in 12 conference games. He is only a freshman and I for one forget that sometimes. What a great pick-up by McKay.
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:I tell ya, unsung hero of this ball club is Georgie. Just checked his stats, ONLY 8 turnovers in 12 conference games. He is only a freshman and I for one forget that sometimes. What a great pick-up by McKay.
I agree. He plays like a vet
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:Ouch!
Now I get it
Last edited by BJWilliams on February 4th, 2017, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Tough hard fought win. We couldnt hit a 3 to save our lives but the defense kept us in it and we made enough plays to survive. Were starting to see different guys pick the team up each night when others are struggling. Then every 3 or 4 games everyone is clicking and its real trouble for the opposition. Georgie had his best game of the season all around. Now the going gets tough. 6 games left and 4 of them will be very difficult. Csu and longwood are absolute must wins. To win the conference we probably have to go 5 and 1 or better. 4 and 2 will net us no worse than 3rd and depending on the wins would give us a shot at 2nd.
Last edited by jinxy on February 5th, 2017, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Great to see the students and locals start coming to the games again. Amazing atmosphere and even better they got the W.

Hopefully the keep coming back
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Tough hard fought win. We couldnt hit a 3 to save our lives but the defense kept us in it and we made enough plays to survive. Were starting to see different guys pick the team up each night when others are struggling. Then every 3 or 4 games everyone is clicking and its real trouble for the opposition. Georgie had his best game of the season all around. Now the going gets tough. 6 games left and 4 of them will be very difficult. Csu and longwood are absolute must wins. To win the conference we probably have to go 5 and 1 or better. 4 and 2 will net us no worse than 3rd and depending on the wins would give us a shot at 2nd.
I'm having trouble finding it but did you congratulate them on the win last night? It's tough to tell (tongue in cheek to a degree)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I watched all the different angles and if a basketball coach could answer me this...how come, on that high screen that freed a.c. up for the game winner, did Dawson's defender not switch and go with a.c. and leave the other high defender to go with Dawson? I reckon if he had switched, there at least could have been a better challenge on the shot
By walksports
Was in town to see my daughter this weekend and saw the game in person. Tenacious defense, especially in the second half, forcing at least one shot clock violation and a few poorly selected last-second shots.

If a few times somebody, anybody would have crashed the boards offensively last night, the buzzer-beater might not have been needed. But ... it is an issue in most of the college basketball that I've seen this year, men's and women's.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I watched all the different angles and if a basketball coach could answer me this...how come, on that high screen that freed a.c. up for the game winner, did Dawson's defender not switch and go with a.c. and leave the other high defender to go with Dawson? I reckon if he had switched, there at least could have been a better challenge on the shot
Why switch? That was pretty good D for a shot that deep. Plus your biggest threat was the guy cutting to the ball. Finally you would have had a big on small match up going to the hole if you are Radford.
It was the right D and a guy hit a bank shot from last 25' with a hand in his face. Not much you can do

*although still waiting for my shot at an Upward Coaching spot!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: a guy hit a bank shot from last 25' with a hand in his face.
When I played the game in high school, the 3-point shot didn't exist yet :oldhag , but no one draws up a 3-point bank shot, right? I'm glad we won, but isn't A.C. the luckiest guy in the world for banking in a 3-ball for the win, on a shot that was probably way too long?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I watched all the different angles and if a basketball coach could answer me this...how come, on that high screen that freed a.c. up for the game winner, did Dawson's defender not switch and go with a.c. and leave the other high defender to go with Dawson? I reckon if he had switched, there at least could have been a better challenge on the shot
Why switch? That was pretty good D for a shot that deep. Plus your biggest threat was the guy cutting to the ball. Finally you would have had a big on small match up going to the hole if you are Radford.
It was the right D and a guy hit a bank shot from last 25' with a hand in his face. Not much you can do

I watched the LFSN video of the play and it looked like GPO' s first read was Dawson off a flash cut using A.C. for a cross screen to free him up for a jumper from around foul line extended. My thinking is that instead of going under the screen and then contesting A.C. as he did, that defender goes with Dawson and the other defender goes with A.C. denying the pass to either.

Just my.own analysis though
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I watched the LFSN video of the play and it looked like GPO' s first read was Dawson off a flash cut using A.C. for a cross screen to free him up for a jumper from around foul line extended. My thinking is that instead of going under the screen and then contesting A.C. as he did, that defender goes with Dawson and the other defender goes with A.C. denying the pass to either.

Just my.own analysis though
Why put a slower defender on a guy cutting to the basket and a shorter player on a guy shooting from outside :dontgetit
It was a very well defended play that got beat by a fluke shot. 99 times out of 100 that shot is missed
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Everyone should go back and watch all of the angles of Pacheco and his reaction to the game-winning shot. Priceless!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Why put a slower defender on a guy cutting to the basket and a shorter player on a guy shooting from outside :dontgetit
It was a very well defended play that got beat by a fluke shot. 99 times out of 100 that shot is missed
My thought is...at his angle on the flash cut, Dawson isn't getting at the rim off the catch in 2.6 seconds. At best he gets an 8-10 foot floater. The goal is to prevent a shot. The defender on A.C. may have been smaller but he would have probably forced an extra dribble and either a desperation shot which may or may not have gone through, or maybe not gotten the shot off at all.

I will 100% agree that shot was quite a fluke though and thanks for the insight
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
My thought is...at his angle on the flash cut, Dawson isn't getting at the rim off the catch in 2.6 seconds. At best he gets an 8-10 foot floater. The goal is to prevent a shot. The defender on A.C. may have been smaller but he would have probably forced an extra dribble and either a desperation shot which may or may not have gone through, or maybe not gotten the shot off at all.

I will 100% agree that shot was quite a fluke though and thanks for the insight
A college Basketball player can certainly get from mid court to the rim in 2.6 seconds. Plus if you have a slower player on them who just switched you increase the odds of drawing a foul by quite a bit.
The shot LU got was basically a desperation shot. The defender had a hand in his face. There is absolutely nothing Radford should have done differently
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I love it when real coaches like BJ and Purple get on here and discuss basketball strategy. It's almost like we are in the huddle with them. Play Basketball
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]