If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The defense is really starting to click. It hurts losing homesley even more seeing the way were playing. Crushing scrubs in year 2. I was down before conference. Glad to be wrong.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I don't care that Longwood and Campbell are struggling. Winning on the road in any conference is hard. Witness VCU losing to a bad Fordham team in the Bronx. To win back to back by 39 and 32 points is very impressive.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am equally as impressed, Scribe. Anyone doubting Ritchie's abilities has a tough argument to make right now. This is flat out stunning.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Nothing to complain about!
Been down this road before. Although I hope this time it's different. I like RMK and hope he stays a long time
Also, the demographics of the board don't lend themselves to games during hoops season. I know I have my own things to worry about during the week. Football in a much more defined space. Thus more chatter during the season
By R i
Registration Days Posts
The best part about this team is the future. ASOR broke down the recruits for the incoming freshman class last week, and there is some serious talent coming in next season. Combine that with Holmsley, and the retention rate, We will be very strong for the foreseeable future.

I think Ritchie has changed up his coaching philosophy a ton since his first stint with LU. Obviously the style of play and the defense. The not so obvious is his recruiting and treatment of freshmen. It seems he is a little more cautious about bringing in one outstanding class, and has worked hard to have 1-2 very good players in each recruiting class. Seth and Brock are no where close to the same talent level as freshmen, but it seems Ritchie is letting Brock develop a little more, and has the reigns a little tighter than he did with "green light Curry".

Congrats to the coaches and players. This season has been a very welcomed surprise. Stunning is the word Sly used, and I would agree. Keep up the good work.

As far as the actual game vs Campbell, the thing that stood out to me most was Cabbill and his length and ability to contest. The players will say that he is the best on ball defender, and I am starting to see it. He is quickly turning into someone we have to keep on the floor because of his defense. Well done Lovell.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:Nothing to complain about!
Been down this road before. Although I hope this time it's different. I like RMK and hope he stays a long time
Also, the demographics of the board don't lend themselves to games during hoops season. I know I have my own things to worry about during the week. Football in a much more defined space. Thus more chatter during the season
Yes, the board is more old hags and less current students now.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed...although Im sure a lot of the guys that have come in over the last couple years are more lurkers than actual posters. I think it was mentioned before that some within the membership at large were less than welcoming to new faces and so they tended to stick to lurking or leaving the board altogether (I will raise my hand as chief among sinners in that regard and apologize for that)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Everyone is welcome. Not my problem if they are a snowflake
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Impressive week for the Flames. I did some quick digging (so I could have easily missed something), but I only found two other instances in Big South history where a team won consecutive conference games by at least 30 points. CCU did it in 2010 (beat GWU by 36, then UNCA by 36, both games at home), and Coastal also did it back in 1991 (beating Campbell by 33 in the last game of the regular season, then turning around and beating Campbell again by 37 in the first round of the Big South tournament).

Also, coming into the week, I think you guys only had 2 instances of winning conference games by at least 30 points (obviously the 45-point win over HPU in the 2004 Big South Championship game, along with a 31-point win over UNC Asheville in the first round of the 1992 Big South Tournament)...just shows how uncommon beating conference foes by 30+ points is, much less in consecutive games (and especially on the road).
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Best team and future weve had since ive followed and its crickets around here ha. :dontgetit
I used to follow these games on FlameFans by hitting the "refresh" button to see scoring updates. That's how much excitement and support the basketball team had at the time. Things hit rock bottom and are coming back up. This season is coming together quite nicely and program support will come with it!

Unbelievable results by RM and company.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:The best part about this team is the future. ASOR broke down the recruits for the incoming freshman class last week, and there is some serious talent coming in next season. Combine that with Holmsley, and the retention rate, We will be very strong for the foreseeable future.
Don't forget about Scottie James. He will have an immediate impact next season.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote: I used to follow these games on FlameFans by hitting the "refresh" button to see scoring updates. That's how much excitement and support the basketball team had at the time. Things hit rock bottom and are coming back up. This season is coming together quite nicely and program support will come with it!

Agreed LUnpretty11. Technology has changed and we have more access today. In the "refresh" days, there were less options for following the team if you were not at the game. With LFSN, Big South Network, ESPN3, etc... everyone has direct access to the game in their pocket.

Glad to have RMK and his entire staff working on the mountain. Program is definitely on the rise.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote: I used to follow these games on FlameFans by hitting the "refresh" button to see scoring updates. That's how much excitement and support the basketball team had at the time. Things hit rock bottom and are coming back up. This season is coming together quite nicely and program support will come with it!

Agreed LUnpretty11. Technology has changed and we have more access today. In the "refresh" days, there were less options for following the team if you were not at the game. With LFSN, Big South Network, ESPN3, etc... everyone has direct access to the game in their pocket.

Glad to have RMK and his entire staff working on the mountain. Program is definitely on the rise.
Great point. I used to have to pay $5/game if I wanted to watch on BSC online. It is now free and I can watch from my phone, pretty amazing.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
R i wrote:The best part about this team is the future. ASOR broke down the recruits for the incoming freshman class last week, and there is some serious talent coming in next season. Combine that with Holmsley, and the retention rate, We will be very strong for the foreseeable future.
Don't forget about Scottie James. He will have an immediate impact next season.
True
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:I used to have to pay $5/game if I wanted to watch on BSC online. It is now free and I can watch from my phone, pretty amazing.
Thank you, Kyle Kallander. :clapping
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
LUnpretty11 wrote:I used to have to pay $5/game if I wanted to watch on BSC online. It is now free and I can watch from my phone, pretty amazing.
Thank you, Kyle Kallander. :clapping
The 1 thing he has done right?
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]