If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
Saturday Jan 14, 2017
Tip off at 4:30
@ Radford
Radio: LFSN
TV: BSN

Radford is coming off what appears to be an upset loss against CSU, however this would be the flames most impressive conference victory so far this season if they can pull it off on the road against a good team.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I admit enjoying the fact that an LU-RU game actually has a little shine to it for the first time in a long time.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Saturday afternoon game in Radford, I will be hanging around for a little goat hunting.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I admit enjoying the fact that an LU-RU game actually has a little shine to it for the first time in a long time.
+1
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames up 26-8 (not a misprint) just under 5 to go in the firstbhslf
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Flames pulled it out, 71-64. Finishing strong has been an issue this season, but it appears they're putting it together and figuring it out. GO FLAMES!!!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ALL of LU's points in OT came from the free throw line. :shock:
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
It's been a trend that the officials let teams play in the first half and then get all whistle happy in the second half. It changes the way of how aggressive liberty plays defense.

Richie desperately needs a big man. Nothing new though.
Last edited by ballah09 on January 14th, 2017, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Agree with the last statement. It's amazing we are doing so well with virtually no inside game. We need to find 2 serviceable rebounders (one starter and one reserve) before we can reasonably expect any consistent success outside the conference. Offensive rebounding is a necessary part of consistent winning basketball.
I applaud this team's effort. They start every game with one strike against them and still find ways to win. We are on an upward trajectory. Keep recruiting, coach!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:It's been a trend that the officials let teams play in the first half and then get all whistle happy in the second half. It changes the way of how aggressive liberty plays defense.

Richie desperately needs a big man. Nothing new though.
We do, but clearly as the fellow above me notes, we still find ways to win even with that working against us which is to be lauded
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Our problem is not our lack of offensive rebounding, it is the OPPONENT'S offensive rebounding, which is a result of sub-par work on our DEFENSIVE glass That is partly a result of playing small, but when you are undersized it is essential you box out well, and we aren't I believe it is somewhat correctable, but it is looking more and more like the rotation we have been seeing on the floor will continue The Talbert brothers played less than one second between them tonight (Ezra came in on the last play of regulation)
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Glad we won, but our shot selection and clock management was very poor in the last 10-12 minutes. Looked like we forgot how to play defense in the 2nd half. Good comeback in OT.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Radford made a good adjustment in the second half, upping the tempo, taking shots quicker and then crashing the offensive boards In the first half they played into our hands by trying to be patient and get a great shot, which backfired because we were so locked in on defense they just ended up using the whole clock and forcing up something
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Teams have greater success when they drive to the hoop and not settle for outside shots. When they get to the hoop they either get a layup, get fouled, both or get an offensive rebound. Knowing we don't fast break the opposition doesn't have to worry about getting back on D and therefore they can crash the boards with 2-3 guys. Noticed this in each of the last 3 games particularly in the second halves of the game. Our guards are not the quickest and can be had by quicker guards. With no big man in the middle and the seldom weakside help defense, we become very vulnerable.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I agree with everything you just said. also goes back to what I said earlier. What Liberty does in the first half on defense, gets called fouls in the second half. teams aren't doing anything different and Liberty isn't doing anything differently on defense. Big South officials like the Big South officials they are have to show how bad they suck. even Richie has been complaining about them too.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
What I like is that even when Radford adjusted, and tied the game late, we didn't fold...we forced a turnover, then got the job done in overtime. Past squads migh have closed up and even given up the game winner or bnot made the plays in overtime. A sign of how fdare have come i think in only a few years...there is much more to be done, but the improvements cannot ve overlooked
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]