If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By R i
Registration Days Posts
The Flames are 9-9 overall, and 4-1 in conference. There are 13 conference games remaining, and now is a good time to do a quick assessment of the season thus far. Answer the following questions if you choose to play along.

1) Has this team had the overall success that you thought they should ?

2) Which player has been the biggest surprise ?

3) Which games were most disappointing so far ?

4) What is the biggest area of improvement this team can make for the rest of the season ?

5) Does this team have what it takes to win a regular season or conference tournament championship this year ?

6) Will the Vines Center have more than 6,000 for more than 2 of the remaining home games ?
Last edited by R i on January 13th, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
1. Absolutely!
2. Georgie
3. Lamar
4. Dawson is our current active leader in rebounds at 4.2/game. Let that sink in.
5. I'm a believer
By R i
Registration Days Posts
1.) I thought we would win a few of the non conference games that we lost. Conference play we have gotten off to a very fast start that I would not have anticipated. Overall success, Yes we have had a good season so far.

2) Myo - None of us had seen him play college ball, and he came into this season in much better shape according to the coaches. He is contributing a ton, and really an inside force for his size. He is starting to show flashes of the Big South Charles Barkley. Georgie has been good as well.

3) Houston - I did not expect to win, but to finish the second half the way we did, after playing so well the first half was very disappointing.

4) Live and Die by the three is not a great tournament strategy. It works in the regular season because you can afford a few cold nights. Tournament time we need to be more balanced offensively.

5) I think we have a chance at both titles . Id say its a very slim chance, but I wouldn't count us out at all.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
Good thread, hard to believe we are more than halfway through the season!

Overall, yes.

Georgie - the importance of the PG position cannot be understated.

3) Which games were most disappointing so far ?
UNCA and Houston - agree with Ri here.

4) What is the biggest area of improvement this team can make for the rest of the season ?
Rebounding. I would say offense because there seems to be very little offensive structure with all the emphasis on defense, but rebounding is a major issue. Lack of size plays a major factor here though.

5) Does this team have what it takes to win a regular season or conference tournament championship this year ?
Yes and yes. They have what it takes, but they have to figure out UNCA.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
6) Will the Vines Center have more than 6,000 for more than 2 of the remaining home games ?

Added a new question regarding attendance. We are averaging right at 2K this season, and in recent past if the team is playing well, and fans get excited, attendance climbs. Will the Vines Center have more than 6,000 at any 2 of the remaining games on the schedule. My guess is no. Basketball is a little different with attendance than Football. It takes a little bit more time to build up steam with fans. If we continue to have league success, I can see us hitting that mark next year pretty easily.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
R i wrote:

Added a new question regarding attendance. We are averaging right at 2K this season, and in recent past if the team is playing well, and fans get excited, attendance climbs. Will the Vines Center have more than 6,000 at any 2 of the remaining games on the schedule. My guess is no. Basketball is a little different with attendance than Football. It takes a little bit more time to build up steam with fans. If we continue to have league success, I can see us hitting that mark next year pretty easily.
+1

6,000+ will be a stretch. Depends if we can get Proto back on campus :mrgreen:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: We averaged over 5,000 fans a game and had the students back engaged.

:shock:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:
R i wrote:
R i wrote:

+1

6,000+ will be a stretch. Depends if we can get Proto back on campus :mrgreen:
Maybe if there was a drawing for a free Hummer for all Season Ticket holders.... :mrgreen:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
There was a midseason report in the local paper this morning about UVa and Tech, and these were the questions asked:

1. What was good about nonconference performance?

2. What was bad about nonconference performance?

3. How is league play going?

4. MVP, so far?

5. MUP (Most Unexpected Performance), so far?

How would you answer the last two questions about LU?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Most Surprising and MUP are the same thing, so my answer doesn't change. For me it is Myo.

MVP - Kemrite, and its really similar to walk on Kyle Omen, in Mckay's first stint as head coach. Kemrite was seemingly getting burried on the bench for Layer, but Mckay has given him confidence and the strength coach has helped him develop into a force and our MVP thus far.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:
prototype wrote: We averaged over 5,000 fans a game and had the students back engaged.
Whoops. Well, sometimes you need to engage a back or too, and sometimes a backside, if things don't improve.

:shock:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
The shocked face was for the 5,000 number . I don't remember it ever being that good.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Maybe if there was a drawing for a free Hummer for all Season Ticket holders.... :mrgreen:
Did you buy a ticket? Is this where all your frustrations towards me come from? I just executed someone else's idea that was on campus. i really thought it was a good idea should have worked. I know I would have purchased a couple tickets myself, just couldn't garner enough support to make it happen.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:The shocked face was for the 5,000 number . I don't remember it ever being that good.
At one point we got it pretty good. We would have most the three student sections full, and remember one time we did a mascot game at half and then had them bring out the game cubes and almost had a riot in the stands. It was nuts.

If the old timer remember those years - we also did midnight madness in the old Shilling Center and it was packed - standing room only and it was blast. Got Toby Mac and Jerry, Sr. out to judge dunk contest and that was a huge moment for a lot of students to start to connect with the players. Now - it's just a show and there's very little connection.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
The Blue/White scrimmage would get everyone pumped about the season. That was a night where the students felt connected to the players before the season started and it felt big time. That night gave the fans/students a reason to be excited because it was flashy - we actually had players that could be flashy - Anthony Smith & Brolin Floyd for example. Now, I haven't been to one of these nights in a long time, so I don't have a pulse on this night for the last couple years. Would be interested to see how it is executed now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Did you buy a ticket? Is this where all your frustrations towards me come from? I just executed someone else's idea that was on campus. i really thought it was a good idea should have worked. I know I would have purchased a couple tickets myself, just couldn't garner enough support to make it happen.
:dontgetit on your second sentence.

As for the rest I know it was an idea that had been floating around for awhile. It was a horrible idea at the time. I'm sorry that proved true. It's a great punchline now up there with 'Hey, let's give away tickets!'
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I figured we'd win a couple more of the non-conference games, but overall yes.

Baxter-Bell

3) Which games were most disappointing so far?
Furman

Offensive execution

Yes and yes

Just win and they'll show up
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
R i wrote:The shocked face was for the 5,000 number . I don't remember it ever being that good.
At one point we got it pretty good. We would have most the three student sections full, and remember one time we did a mascot game at half and then had them bring out the game cubes and almost had a riot in the stands. It was nuts.

If the old timer remember those years - we also did midnight madness in the old Shilling Center and it was packed - standing room only and it was blast. Got Toby Mac and Jerry, Sr. out to judge dunk contest and that was a huge moment for a lot of students to start to connect with the players. Now - it's just a show and there's very little connection.
That was my freshman season..the atmostphere in the schilling for that midnight madness was amazing. Im pretty sure I gained like 4 inches on my vertical from the energy that night. Toby Mac Falwell Sr were judges for the dunk contest..it was a really great time. The year after we moved to the Vines and it was TERRIBLE..that was basically the end of midnight madness
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I did go to the MM in old Schilling. I would have kept it there. We aren't getting draws that would fit in the Vines. I hope they bring it back for 2017-18 in new Schilling (the "Multipurpose Center") and build things up there.
Last edited by BJWilliams on January 20th, 2017, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I did go to the MM in Schilling. I would have kept it there. We aren't getting draws that would fit in the Vines. I hope they bring it back for 2017-18 in Schilling and build things up there
Ummm. About that.... So the Schilling Center....
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I did go to the MM in Schilling. I would have kept it there. We aren't getting draws that would fit in the Vines. I hope they bring it back for 2017-18 in Schilling and build things up there
I keep looking at the campus map looking for the Schilling Center and I just can't seem to find it anywhere? I guess its because I am using a 2017 campus map, possibly???
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
HenryGale wrote:
I keep looking at the campus map looking for the Schilling Center and I just can't seem to find it anywhere? I guess its because I am using a 2017 campus map, possibly???
Schilling go bye bye (about 4 years ago).
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
The Jerry Falwell Library is where the Schilling Center once stood I believe
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]