If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames scorching hot from 3 early...6-8 as CSU calls time with 9:30 to go in the half
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames with 10 made 3s in the first half and lead 42-32 after the first 20 minutes
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
McCracken helping with the Pack Line. He was louder than the announcers on the radio.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:McCracken helping with the Pack Line. He was louder than the announcers on the radio.
Did anyone beside my wife and me hear a lady shouting in the background "shut up"toward the end of the game? That was really funny!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:McCracken helping with the Pack Line. He was louder than the announcers on the radio.
Did anyone beside my wife and me hear a lady shouting in the background "shut up"toward the end of the game? That was really funny!
She's probably not the only one ha
By Wvflame2013
Chippy wrote:
I thought I heard someone say shutup when they were shooting free-throws and the crackin was a crackin.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Great to be 2 and 0 on the road. However i think these are 2 of the bottom 3 teams in the league. We were incredibly hot shooting the 3 and we still couldnt rebound. When were hot we will win and when were not we will lose. We just dont have the pieces to do much different.

Im really impressed with pacheco. I really had no expectation for him and he looks like he could be a 4 year starter. He gardner homesley and cuffee could be a nice young core for several years.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:When were hot we will win and when were not we will lose.
Truth! BJ or Ballcoach coudn't have said it any better. :wink:
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUalum12 wrote:.... and Virginia is 305. It is a product of the pack-line for the most part. Not saying being a small team does not contribute.
UVA is ranked 305 and is only getting 8.9 per game. LU is getting 4.9 :shock: . LU was 6th worst in the nation last year at 6.7. Only getting 4.9 offensive boards is insanely bad. There have only been a couple teams with lower offensive rebound averages in the last 15 years.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
A lot of good pieces to build on. Scottie James will have a huge impact when he's eligible. Heard he can have a Dawson kind of impact.

And the Big South sucks. They'll win a lot of games despite having some cold shooting nights
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
We're 2-0 in conference play with both wins coming on the road by double figures. That's the first time we've done that in school history, but we're over here crying because we rank last in offensive rebounding.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUalum12 wrote:.... and Virginia is 305. It is a product of the pack-line for the most part. Not saying being a small team does not contribute.
Not saying there is no correlation, and the fact that both UVA and Arizona, who play the pack-line and have more size than us and great athletes are also not very good offensive rebounding teams would indicate there is, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around how your defensive system would have a huge impact on whether you get offensive boards or not
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
Its simple, the pack-line calls for everyone to retreat after the shot allowing for the defense to get set. If you notice watching UVA when the shot goes up at least 3 most of the time 4 players star to retreat therefore not crashing the boards. The philosophy of the pack-line does not emphasize offensive rebounding but rather getting in the right defense set by retreating and not crashing the boards so to speak.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:We're 2-0 in conference play with both wins coming on the road by double figures. That's the first time we've done that in school history, but we're over here crying because we rank last in offensive rebounding.
For some people, the glass is always have empty. Melville called it being "damned in the midst of paradise" (Capt. Ahab in Moby Dick).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUalum12 wrote:Its simple, the pack-line calls for everyone to retreat after the shot allowing for the defense to get set. If you notice watching UVA when the shot goes up at least 3 most of the time 4 players star to retreat therefore not crashing the boards. The philosophy of the pack-line does not emphasize offensive rebounding but rather getting in the right defense set by retreating and not crashing the boards so to speak.
That's not entirely accurate There are players who are dedicated to to back on defense. And they certainly aren't in the Michigan St mold of all 5 players crash the boards. But a lack of offensive rebounding has more to do with offense than defense
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Perimeter shots tend to lead to longer rebounds which can favor the defense, especially when most of the offense is releasing to set the defense on the other end. As a team that shoots a lot of three pointers, that is not a great recipe for high offensive rebound numbers
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
jcmanson wrote:We're 2-0 in conference play with both wins coming on the road by double figures. That's the first time we've done that in school history, but we're over here crying because we rank last in offensive rebounding.
For some people, the glass is always have empty. Melville called it being "damned in the midst of paradise" (Capt. Ahab in Moby Dick).
SO true...I mean we did something we have NEVER done before as manson noted...and instead of congratulating the team on the success...its complaining...I mean those things can't be overlooked obviously but the success cannot be overlooked either
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
LUalum12 wrote:Its simple, the pack-line calls for everyone to retreat after the shot allowing for the defense to get set. If you notice watching UVA when the shot goes up at least 3 most of the time 4 players star to retreat therefore not crashing the boards. The philosophy of the pack-line does not emphasize offensive rebounding but rather getting in the right defense set by retreating and not crashing the boards so to speak.
That's not entirely accurate There are players who are dedicated to to back on defense. And they certainly aren't in the Michigan St mold of all 5 players crash the boards. But a lack of offensive rebounding has more to do with offense than defense
I agree Purple How much emphasis is placed on getting back on defense as opposed to crashing the offensive boards is really a separate coaching decision from the defensive system you play, whether it is the Pack-line or a 1-3-1 zone
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:It's a little disconcerting that of 347 teams in the NCAA we are DEAD LAST in offensive rebounds. I know we're small but . . . . .
I notice in most college games, teams do not try very hard for offensive rebounds. Soon as ball is shot , most offensive players turn and head down the court to play defense. I have never liked this. Have one player drop back,(normally a guard), and the other 4 players crash the boards.
By Wvflame2013
I would like to see the correlation between the team that wins national championship and offensive rebounds per game.

Edit: Decided to answer the correlation for the past 10 National Champs.Y

Year - Team - ORB Rank - Avg Per Game

2007 - Florida - 171 - 10.9
2008- Kansas - 105 - 10.5
2009- N Carolina - 11 - 13.0
2010- Duke - 15 - 12.8
2011 - Uconn - 15 - 12.0
2012 - Kentucky - 52 - 10.9
2013 - Lousivlle - 10 - 12.3
2014 - Uconn - 270 - 8.1
2015 - Duke - 61 - 10.3
2016 - Villanova - 7.9

Avg Rank = 96.5 ----Avg ORB Per game = 10.87

Here are some current stats on various teams.
2016/17 Liberty - 3.4
2016 /17Virginia - 7.5
2016/17 WVU - 14.4
2016/17 Duke - 10.4
2016/17 NC - 14.2
2016/17 Kentucky - 13.6

According to the last 10 years around 8 offensive rebounds per game is needed at least. The sweet spot is near 11 per game though. There were three outliers with a rank of 270 - 270 --171. Wonder why that is? The teams shooting rank was 2016 Nova - 13th @ 48.3, 2014 Uconn - 116th @45 %, & 2007 Florida - 1st @ 52.6%. The teams shot rather well but not sure if that is the main key. Other stats is turnovers forced and margin. Defensive points per game etc.

Offensive rebounding though is rather important and 3.4 won't cut it, Even UVA at 7 won't cut it. A team such as WVU will get 11 more shots than Liberty, just because they rebounded offensively. Shooting at 50%, that is 11 more points just off rebounding.
Last edited by Wvflame2013 on January 3rd, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]