If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Lamar University
Beaumont, Texas

Lamar Hoops Official Site

Montagne Center
Opened in 1984 - Seats 10,080

Tic Price
3rd Season as Lamar Head Coach

2016-2017 Schedule/Results
  • 11.11 - 7PM - HOWARD PAYNE ............................ W 90-47
    11.16 - 8PM - @ OREGON STATE ......................... W 63-60
    11.19 - 1PM - @ FRESNO STATE .......................... L 64-83
    11.22 - 7PM - UTSA .............................................. W 78-58
    11.25 - 4PM - PRAIRIE VIEW A&M ........................ W 91-83
    11.29 - 8PM - @ IDAHO STATE ............................. L 60-77
    12.02 - 9PM - @ SAN FRANCISCO ........................ L 63-82
    12.06 - 8PM - @ DEPAUL ..................................... L 61-80
    12.10 - 2PM - AUSTIN COLLEGE .......................... W 109-58
    12.16 - 7PM - UTRGV ........................................... L 81-95
    12.19 - 7PM - LIBERTY

Key Player
    #21 Colton Weisbrod
    6' 5" 218 lbs Junior Forward (JUCO Transfer)
    Thru 10 Games: Averaging 15.5 Pts & 10.3 Rebs + 45.4 FG%
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is actually not a bad venue for an older arena. Sadly family responsibilities will keep me from making the two-hour drive oevr to Beaumont this evening.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Coach Price certainly would be the head coach of the "All-Name Team" that is for sure
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Coach Price certainly would be the head coach of the "All-Name Team" that is for sure
Uh, why :dontgetit

As nicknames go, "Tic" is pretty ordinary, almost boring The guy who coached 28 years at Coppin State "Fang" Mitchell, now that's a nickname :wink:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Any streaming options for tonight's game?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Any streaming options for tonight's game?

It's on ASN and I think Tim Scarboro might be the color analyst tonight
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:

Sorry! The game on Wednesday is on ASN.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Wondering if Sly will miss the Wednesday game due to church responsibilities. :pray or Play Basketball
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Liberty down 22-12 at the 10 minute mark. And I figured out how to stream the game with my Chromecast. :oldhag
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Liberty fought back and had cut the 14-point Lamar lead to only 3 in the first half but ended the half down 39-32.
By walksports
Giving up too many threes.
Not crashing the boards offensively.
BUT the kids keep hustling and fighting despite the officials calling it fairly tight inside, especially on the Flames defensive end.
Decent fan turnout, but no vocal support whatsoever. Almost apathetic.
Drove over from the far north side of Houston.
I've seen about 30 different Texas college or university basketball arenas and the Montagne Center is solid. Better than Sam in the Southland; way bigger than HBU. Nicer than Autry Court at Rice even with the improvements.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Garth for Lamar has hit SEVEN 3-balls with 7:09 left. Liberty is now down by 19. :shock:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Garth for Lamar has hit SEVEN 3-balls with 7:09 left. Liberty is now down by 19. :shock:
How many does Wayne have.....
By walksports
flamehunter, agree on the officiating. It felt like they were trying to play make-up calls all night long on both ends. But I've seen a dozen college basketball games here in Texas (9 men, 3 women) so far this season and it seems par for the course for the area.
I live in the greater Houston area so I haven't seem the team at all. I usually see at least one athletic contest each semester when I make it up to campus to visit my daughter who's a senior.
What I thought was encouraging is that I can't think of one young man who didn't hustle and play his heart out tonight. Noticed that the team is pretty young.
Garth (#3) was hot all night for Lamar, especially to start the second half. However, nobody ever seemed to have a hand in his face either.
Lamar shot 27-of-43 (.628), including a season-best 12-of-20 (.600) performance from beyond the arc, according to Lamar's post-game recap. Hard to beat anybody when they have that hot of a hand.
Without knowing anything about the team, thought it was classy of McKay to get the Texas kids - Reid and Cabbill - into the lineup early, but they contributed and played well.
Thought Liberty did a good job defensively in the first half keeping the ball out of the middle, but 27 of Lamar's 30 points that didn't come from beyond the 3-point line or at the free throw line were in the paint.
Was surprised that Liberty didn't challenge Lamar bringing the ball up the court all night, to try and create some opportunities to cut into the lead that surmounted at the start of the second half.
Otherwise, first time watching McKay coach. Maybe he just had a bad day himself, but didn't see any visible energy or passion. Then again, maybe that's not his style. As I said I haven't seen him before. Am thinking that some of the foul trouble caused for there not to be any type of steady substitution pattern.
Really concerned about UH though. Coogs manhandled UT-Rio Grande Valley 83-58 two nights ago at home, who were coming off a 95-81 home win over Lamar.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:

Sorry guys, not working this one. and check that spelling on the last name :P
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:check that spelling on the last name :P
That video NEVER gets old! :shock: :oldhag :shock:

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Any excuse to bust out the ETSU dunk lol
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Sorry I missed you at VCU on Saturday Scar. That was a heck of a basketball game.
Man that game was special! Both teams were so sharp and that atmosphere was even better than usual.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]