If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Dribble Penetration with effective passers/scorers can break down EVERY defense. That's why teams go zone in today's game. In the old days you went zone to stop a big man from dominating you on the block. Now it is deployed because you are having trouble staying in front of the other team's penetrators. William and Mary and VCU are teams that would have won by 25 points over Liberty last year. I see progress. The lack of post play and rebounding is a concern. To me Liberty needs to start recruiting the 6-9 long athletic kid that I see on virtually every mid major. You have to have 1 or 2 guys like that IMO. Harvard, and Yale both have them. The big on Yale Justin Sears at 6-8 was one of the toughest kids in the country last year. Athleticism in the post still matters. Size in the post is not as big as it was in the past because of the way the game is played. This team needs a couple of kids like that. Watch Winthrop play and you will see. Think John Brown of High Point.
I know a team that plays a NASTY zone!!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Dribble Penetration with effective passers/scorers can break down EVERY defense. That's why teams go zone in today's game. In the old days you went zone to stop a big man from dominating you on the block. Now it is deployed because you are having trouble staying in front of the other team's penetrators. William and Mary and VCU are teams that would have won by 25 points over Liberty last year. I see progress. The lack of post play and rebounding is a concern. To me Liberty needs to start recruiting the 6-9 long athletic kid that I see on virtually every mid major. You have to have 1 or 2 guys like that IMO. Harvard, and Yale both have them. The big on Yale Justin Sears at 6-8 was one of the toughest kids in the country last year. Athleticism in the post still matters. Size in the post is not as big as it was in the past because of the way the game is played. This team needs a couple of kids like that. Watch Winthrop play and you will see. Think John Brown of High Point.
Thanks for the insight SCAR...the kind of team that can really give a coach nightmares is one with good "athletic slashers" as I called them in another thread who can dribble penetrate and are effective passers/scorers as you describe, but are also complemented by good perimeter shooters ("zone busters" if you will).
By FlameFan11
Exactly what I have been saying SCAR. Great analysis. We did recruit a pretty athletic 6'7" guy with 6'9" wingspan in Gardner who is very skilled as well as a 6'9" good athlete in Josiah. The issue is they are not playing. I agree completely with you that these are the types of players to take our program to the next level, including this season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:Exactly what I have been saying SCAR. Great analysis. We did recruit a pretty athletic 6'7" guy with 6'9" wingspan in Gardner who is very skilled as well as a 6'9" good athlete in Josiah. The issue is they are not playing. I agree completely with you that these are the types of players to take our program to the next level, including this season.
Josiah may end up being a good player for us, but I don't think he is the type of athlete SCAR is talking about Gardner, maybe I continue to maintain they both will play when Ritchie believes they are ready to make us better than the players we are using more right now

Hopefully they will both get more PT tonight, but we shouldn't read too much into what they do against this opponent I also want to see more of Barmore There is a reason we decided not to redshirt him I think he has the potential to be the kind of dribble penetrator we have been talking about
By FlameFan11
Well that was fast. I feel we had to give the freshman some time now to see what we have before conference play. Very surprised to see Josiah in the starting lineup over Myo though. It does give us a chance at the opening tip plus he can get the typical early cheap foul on the post player as refs try to establish the "tone." Josiah is just too aggressive shooting the 3 right now, 0-6 in his 43 minutes this season. He's out there for better paint production and defense with the occasional 3.

2nd half saw Myo starting with Gardner, Kemrite, Pacheco and Dawson. I feel that will likely be our starting lineup in conference. Having Cabbil start makes us too small. If Cabbil starts, I think Pacheco will come off the bench.

Myo played well with 12 points, 3 rebounds in 20 minutes. When he is on the floor with Gardner it gives us all 5 guys who are good passers and the ball moves well. Gardner was solid defensively and efficient offensively (2-3 FG). 6 points, 6 boards, 2 blocks in 22 minutes. As he gets more comfortable, he will get more aggressive on offense and take more shots. He moved the ball well but defensively made the bigger impact.

I agree that Barmore could be that aggressive driver but it is going to be tough to crack the Cabbil (defense, experience), Pacheco(steady), and even Chen (experience) rotation this season. If we get down in games, he could be the spark to jump start the offense but based on how much Pacheco has played, it seems RMK was looking for a more cautious, floor manager at the point guard.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:Very surprised to see Josiah in the starting lineup over Myo though.
To quote a Jeff Meyer line, starting Josiah will keep Myo "hungry and humble." Play Basketball
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]