If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I was able to make this game. Honestly it was a decent crowd all things considered. Homesley was obviously very impressive and is maturing into a 1st or 2nd team all conference player. Also really impressed with pahecho. I really was expecting nothing from him and chen going into the season. pachecho is not there offensively but hes a good ball handler, gets us in the offense, can penetrate a bit and very solid defensively. Brock will be a good player for us but i thought he looked a bit slower and less athletic in person than on tape but its way too early to tell that. We know what we get with reid dawson and kemrite. We can win 17 or 18 games the way we are. If we can develop bell and the talbert brother especially josiah we could get 20 wins. It will be interesting to watch what materializes with pachecho and barmore as they progress. I think they will eat into cabbills minutes unless he can do more than shoot. Either way its a lot more talent than weve had.
By FlameFan11
Right with you jinxy on all points. Pacheco leading the team in minutes has to be the surprise of the season. Nothing flashy but everything solid. I did hear in the preseason that Gardner was one of the biggest gainers in Coach Hen's workouts. Over 15 lbs of total weight so he probably does look different. I also think the development of our front court will be the key to our season. Hopefully we will start getting those guys the time they need.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Coach McKay said in the pre-game interview that of all the players on his current roster, Homesley has the best shot to play professionally. Coach also said that Homesley has ACC-level talent. That's high praise for a sophomore!
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 24th, 2016, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Coach McKay said in the pre-game interview that of all the players on her his current roster, Homesley has the best shot to play professionally. Coach also said that Homesley has ACC-level talent. That's high praise for a sophomore!
He not only has the most upside, I believe he has surpassed Dawson as our best player right now JD has been very hot and cold so far this year He has yet to put together 2 good halves of basketball in a game
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
AC Reid played 21 minutes against MVSU and took ONE shot (a missed 3) very much unlike him He did have 3 assists
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Some of our freshmen are outplaying our upperclassmen, which demonstrates the level of new talent that Coach McKay brought in this year. Our new point guards have been esp. impressive (and, yes, one is a D2 transfer).
By FlameFan11
olldflame wrote:AC Reid played 21 minutes against MVSU and took ONE shot (a missed 3) very much unlike him He did have 3 assists
We all know AC can catch fire at any moment but I was surprised to see RMK leave him out there for 21 minutes. He struggled defensively with the quickness of MVSU and wasnt producing offensively when other guys like Ezra and Brock were. Plus they can rebound.
By FlameFan11
Cider Jim wrote:Some of our freshmen are outplaying our upperclassmen, which demonstrates the level of new talent that Coach McKay brought in this year. Our new point guards have been esp. impressive (and, yes, one is a D2 transfer).
Huge roster improvement that will keep us good for a couple years plus Cuffee will make an impact next season. Next step is replacing Kemrite and Reid for 2018. I'm sure this staff will be able to keep the ball rolling with quality recruits.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Some of our freshmen are outplaying our upperclassmen, which demonstrates the level of new talent that Coach McKay brought in this year. Our new point guards have been esp. impressive (and, yes, one is a D2 transfer).
Huge roster improvement that will keep us good for a couple years plus Cuffee will make an impact next season. Next step is replacing Kemrite and Reid for 2018. I'm sure this staff will be able to keep the ball rolling with quality recruits.
We have 2 shooters signed for 2017 in McDowell and Barber and Cuffee is no slouch from 3 himself

I have a feeling Jay will still be a Flame I suspect that may be one reason his dad agreed to go along with the "resignation" charade

So far, our offers for 2018 are to a PG and a big
By FlameFan11
That sounds about right for our targets. We should be set on 2-4s with this class and next. Homesley, Gardner, Cuffee, Talberts, McDowell and looks like Cabbil will see more time at the 2. A scoring pg could add another wrinkle to non-scorers Pacheco and Barmore. Newton's development will be a big factor but another thick bodied big would be nice. What areas do you feel we need to address?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:That sounds about right for our targets. We should be set on 2-4s with this class and next. Homesley, Gardner, Cuffee, Talberts, McDowell and looks like Cabbil will see more time at the 2. A scoring pg could add another wrinkle to non-scorers Pacheco and Barmore. Newton's development will be a big factor but another thick bodied big would be nice. What areas do you feel we need to address?
Barmore averaged 27ppg as a JR in HS His average went down to about 23 as a Senior when 2 more D1 caliber players transferred to Seneca and he didn't need to carry as much of the load I believe once he has adjusted to college ball he will score

I really don't see a particular position of need for 2018 I think the focus will be to sign players who will be an upgrade in talent, regardless of where they play Trey Jemison, the big guy from AL would be an incredible get Tough competition for him to say the least, but our mission is really working for us with this one At least going by his social media, the kid is all about the Lord
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The W&M game can't come soon enough. Go Flames!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
W&M should be a good indicator for our progress We played them early last year and lost 70-59 at home They exposed our defense with a lot of easy back door baskets, but the pack line was so new to our guys at that point, they just weren't ready for an offense like the Tribe plays Hopefully we are now Cabill should be back, which will help us on D as well

They are 2-2 with lopsided losses to Duke and Louisville (although they hung with Duke early) and blowout wins over Presby and D3 Bridgewater, so we should be their first fairly equal opponent
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]