If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlameFan11
Happy we only have to wait a day to get back on the court after that trip to Bloomington.

Watched the Indiana vs UMass Lowell game early last week. IU won like 102-78 but UML was pretty impressive. Team that likes to push the ball and shoot a lot of 3s. Scoring 78 on that IU team shows they are capable of putting up some points. Very scrappy and played extremely hard. Should be a pretty even match-up and raining 3s all over the court.
By FlameFan11
Interested to see the starting lineup in this game after the change against Indiana. Shocked to see us start even smaller moving Homesley to the bench and starting Pacheco. I know Caleb has struggled shooting the ball, 1-10 from 3 and 5-11 FT but he is our leading rebounder, maybe by default at this point, at 4.3 rpg.

I'm not sure why rebounding/paint scoring doesn't seem like a priority based on the lineups that are on the court, especially after last season. Dawson is our #2 rebounder at 3.3 rpg while Gardner is #3 at 3.0 and he is hardly playing. The only way I see us improving our rebounding/paint scoring is with personnel. I don't see us gaining much by playing the Pacheco, Cabbil, Chen threesome at the same time but I do see a struggle to rebound with that lineup particularly when they have Reid or Kemrite (7 rebounds in 69 minutes) out there.

Some other interesting stats after 3 games......Pacheco-Ortiz leads the team in minutes played at 75. Nobody saw that coming.....Cabbil at #2 with 70 minutes but only 1-8 from 3 on the season so far......For all of the "shooters" we have on the roster, we are off to a slow start, 40.0% FG%, 31.6% from 3 and 59.3% from the FT line....That 59%(32-54) is despite Ray Chen going 10-10 so far from the FT line..... Have to think those #s are going to turn around soon......17 of AC Reid's 21 FGA are 3s, while 9 of Kemrite's 11 FGA are 3s, Dawson, Cabbil, Pacheco also have more than 50% of their field goal attempts from 3.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sodexo still may have issues with lukewarm cheese on their nachos, but they have at least ramped up their chicken tenders by serving sauces with them--BBQ or honey mustard. And they are offering specials, too, like a hot dog, chips, and a drink for only 5 bucks.

Looking forward to seeing Purple Haize in the concession lines sometime soon.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Sodexo still may have issues with lukewarm cheese on their nachos, but they have at least ramped up their chicken tenders by serving sauces with them--BBQ or honey mustard. And they are offering specials, too, like a hot dog, chips, and a drink for only 5 bucks.

Looking forward to seeing Purple Haize in the concession lines sometime soon.
Not tonight. I'm in Hickory. I'm sure the Lady Raiders will make a women's game.
Are the chicken tenders those flat bland ones?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Are the chicken tenders those flat bland ones?
Yes, but the new sauce at least makes them edible now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Are the chicken tenders those flat bland ones?
Yes, but the new sauce at least makes them edible now.
They must be superior to Chik Fil A sauces!!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Feel sorry that there is no home court advantage for this team. Jerry Jokers/Students are all jokes. Cant even come out for a game. Its like watching an exhibition game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Feel sorry that there is no home court advantage for this team. Jerry Jokers/Students are all jokes. Cant even come out for a game. Its like watching an exhibition game.
No classes this week Virtually all students have gone home
By Jonathan Carone
They get a pass for this one because it's thanksgiving break. I remember we had a game over break where it was just me and Andy in the LUnatics. Ritchie walked past us and goes, "Two?! Just two if you?!" with a smile on his face.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Wvflame2013 wrote:I went to the game for the first half and then went home. It was so quiet and boring.
I'm not one to criticize fandom, but...
By Wvflame2013
jbock13 wrote:
Wvflame2013 wrote:I went to the game for the first half and then went home. It was so quiet and boring.
I'm not one to criticize fandom, but...
Also, I had yet to have dinner and wasn't paying for 5$ chicken tenders or lukewarm nachos. More than welcome to question my fandom. I'm not in the corner in a box screaming the whole game. But I have made an appearance at every game at least. And that's with working 3 jobs and 12 hrs masters classes.
By Wvflame2013
Pacheko is really good for a freshman. He plays with his head up, takes care of the ball, and is a decent scorer. He reminds me alot of Gary Browne who played for WVU, also from Puerto Rico. Think he was the gem of last years class.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
A win is a win, but that was pretty lucky. With a little help from the refs.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Defense was bad today a lot of breakdowns. Good win though after the rough game in assembly hall. snaps a 15 game d1 non conference losing streak. Hopefully that will get them going.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I was there for the whole game. And paid $7 for a small popcorn and Powerade. They were running $1 specials on hot chocolate and coffee, but I passed on both.

For most of the came, we were playing with 5 guards, and our tallest player was Homesley at 6'4". Not sure why Reed was left in with a minute left to play defense: he even fouled a 3-point shooter, who made all 3 free throws.

During one of the timeouts, JJ McCracken was shooting halfcourt shots. Using a baseball type pass, he hit the top of the backboard on his last attempt, but all the earlier ones missed everything--both rim and backboard.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Our FG % still isn't great but the 3's were falling. Our shooting will continue to get better as guys find their rhythm. The stat I am most impressed with thru 4 games is our turnovers. We are taking good care of the ball for such a young team. Next one should be a W then another measuring stick game against the Tribe.
By Wvflame2013
I've noticed during the 3 home games that travels have been called quite a bit, for and against us. I love that the refs we are getting are calling travels. Was traveling emphasized this offseason the in ref training? I think it is good for the game because I hate seeing a player take two step, a pro-hop and another step.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:A win is a win, but that was pretty lucky. With a little help from the refs.
Winning or losing is seldom determined by "luck" and especially when the margin is more than one or 2 possessions I suppose we got a break on the deflection that led to Reid's buzzer beater at the half, but he still had to make the shot UML benefited from at least 1 bad call that gave them 2 FT instead of an in bound

No doubt Ritchie is not happy about them shooting 50%, but we won the turnovers, shot the 3 well and outrebounded them despite playing about as small a lineup as possible with this roster Lowell is a good offensive team They put up 87 on Indiana A lot of that was tempo, but they can shoot the ball

Interesting how many turnovers we have been forcing because that is not really what the pack line is designed to do What you are looking for is to force opponents to burn time and take low % shots as the clock runs out
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Wvflame2013 wrote:I've noticed during the 3 home games that travels have been called quite a bit, for and against us. I love that the refs we are getting are calling travels. Was traveling emphasized this offseason the in ref training? I think it is good for the game because I hate seeing a player take two step, a pro-hop and another step.
Traveling was not a point of emphasis this year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Quite a stat line for Homesley in 32 minutes off the bench

19 points on 6-9 from the floor, 2-2 from 3 and 5-9 FT
7 rebounds
5 assists with only 1 turnover
2 steals
1 block

Call me a :koolaid drinker, but I actually think he is capable of approaching those numbers on a regular basis He is a special player, and is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]