If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlameFan11
Great early season test for the young fellas against a solid program in VCU. VCU beat UNCA in their opener 80-65. We know UNCA lost a ton from last season but it doesn't look like VCU played particularly well. I'm sure that they will be more prepared for their first road test of the year.

I expect a lot of Black and Gold in the stands and definitely more than the 5,500 total fans last game. Tuesday night or not, we have a quality program from our state in our building so hopefully Flames Nation (like to say it as much as possible, especially here where it belong) will show up.

What are your expectations for this game?
By FlameFan11
Key to the VCU win over Asheville was 55% FG shooting for the game. They also outrebounded them 35-25. Definitely going to need to see more of Myo, Gardner, and maybe Josiah who have the size and athleticism to guard but still handle pressure. UNCA only committed 13 turnovers which helped them keep it close.

What a difference a year makes. In last year's LU vs VCU game, Heipler started and played 31 minutes. Now he is probably our 12th or 13th guy. Big difference in our talent but have our roster hasn't seen this level of competition yet in their career. Either way, it is going to be great experience for our guys as well as Indiana on Saturday.
By FlameFan11
Also to remember last year's game, we were outrebounded 37-23, giving up 12 offensive boards. We allowed VCU to shoot 53% overall, 52% from the 3 with 10 makes. Two areas that we have addressed with personnel but have to be at the top of our preparation to stay with the Rams.
By TerraCottaGamer
Really looking forward to this game. Couldn't make opening night due to work but I will be in my seats come Tuesday. #GoFlames
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I will be at work but I will have the live stats on my phone and check them periodically...Hopefully I can get a job in Lynchburg so I can go to some more athletic events
By R i
Registration Days Posts
VCU fans will be out in numbers. This should be fun tonight, with a top 30 team in the Vines. I think we keep it within 20. VCU fans do not have football, this is their pride. After reading through their message board, it never ceases to amaze me the stereo type LU gets.

LU 57
VCU 72
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Their fans are very confident.

Don't get me wrong I think we lose this game but I think we'll hang around most of the game.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I know Jr made the school look bad this past year given the a negative reputation. but they think the students are still from the 1990's, which is comical. they're going to be surprise how liberal liberty students and faculty had gotten. like I'm pretty sure no one will care about the rainbow flag that some are planning to bring. hell, there is always a few students dressed up as teletubies at games.

and I think Liberty will hang around and lose by 5-6 points. they're turnover prone so I think the defense will keep Liberty in it.
By FlameFan11
Any word on Kemrite's availability tonight?

Didn't seem serious but since he didn't play in the 2nd half last game thought I would ask
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
25 mins away and i think there is more vcu fans than liberty students. how pathetic and sad.
By Jonathan Carone
A Sea of Red wrote:Student section is nearly full.
What made me sad is two minutes into the game they were all sitting down and uninvolved in the game.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:Student section is nearly full.
What made me sad is two minutes into the game they were all sitting down and uninvolved in the game.
Yep. I couldn't believe it.

As far as the game goes I'm happy with how well we have competed. We are so much better than we were last year.

With that said the refs are absolutely taking over this game which is never a good thing. Touch fouls being called. The good news is they are at least consistent and calling it both ways.
By Jonathan Carone
We look much improved from the past few years. But then I look at VCU and they're so much bigger and stronger and you see we have a long way to go. We are a bunch of thin athletic players. They're a bunch of thick, strong, fast athletic players. Just a different level.

That said, we played a good half. We don't have much room for error because of the difference in athletes. I'm excited to see if we can keep this a game.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
intense defense. not perfect but wow. also liberty maintaining a lead with Dawson on the bench. amazing effort by the guys. Georgie and Caleb almost unstoppable when driving and Baxter Bell on the glass.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
VCU is definitely a lot stronger but Liberty is matching up well with the speed and athleticism. Just the fact Liberty is competing with a top 30. gives me a lot of optimism
By Jonathan Carone
I don't want what I said earlier to sound like a dig because it wasn't meant that way. While our guys aren't as big overall, I love our system and think we are playing it very well.
By Wvflame2013
Took McKay less than two years to vastly imrove the bball team and playing well against a vcu team that is one of the best mid-majors in the country. Gill on the otherhand....how many years in....
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]