If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I wasn't there but I have to admit snickering that Nick's voice doesn't project. I think it is safe to say if he is not being heard it because of the equipment and not his pipes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I wasn't there but I have to admit snickering that Nick's voice doesn't project. I think it is safe to say if he is not being heard it because of the equipment and not his pipes.
This really sounds like a sound board operator issue You can have the best announcer and equipment in the world, but the mic and music levels are adjusted by a techie who may or may not know what he is doing My experience has been that some sound guys worry too much about the music and don't set the volume high enough for the PA

Nick's voice is certainly not the issue, but even if he didn't have NFL caliber pipes (for those who don't know, he has a side gig on Sundays in the Fall doing the PA for the Carolina Panthers) there would be no excuse for the board man not making sure he is heard
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:I wasn't there but I have to admit snickering that Nick's voice doesn't project. I think it is safe to say if he is not being heard it because of the equipment and not his pipes.
This really sounds like a sound board operator issue You can have the best announcer and equipment in the world, but the mic and music levels are adjusted by a techie who may or may not know what he is doing My experience has been that some sound guys worry too much about the music and don't set the volume high enough for the PA

Nick's voice is certainly not the issue, but even if he didn't have NFL caliber pipes (for those who don't know, he has a side gig on Sundays in the Fall doing the PA for the Carolina Panthers) there would be no excuse for the board man not making sure he is heard
Why did you have to spill the beans? Let the new guy make a fool of themselves it's a Rite of Passage!
By Wvflame2013
The crowd will come. I seen a twitter exchange between JB and the Jokers. I think there will be something worked out to get the jokers at bball games. Just need to get some organization and could have one of the best mid-major student sections in the nation.
By Jonathan Carone
That's the issue: they're trying to get organized and figure out how they can manage the amount of basketball games instead of just showing up and being involved. It's not that hard. One game takes half the time of a football game. Get there at 6:15 and you're done by 9:15.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:That's the issue: they're trying to get organized and figure out how they can manage the amount of basketball games instead of just showing up and being involved. It's not that hard. One game takes half the time of a football game. Get there at 6:15 and you're done by 9:15.
I have always thought LU would be a better 'basketball school' than football school
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
TerraCottaGamer wrote:
Chippy wrote: Nick introduces the team by asking everyone to stand. I counted less than 5 people in the arena who stood and cheered the introductions - no students!!

Probably because the PA was NOT loud enough. His voice does not project well and/or it was not turned up enough. With the background music and everything going he was incredibly difficult to hear.

I'm a geezer and I heard him :oldhag The 500+ VCU fans stood when their team was announced.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:That's the issue: they're trying to get organized and figure out how they can manage the amount of basketball games instead of just showing up and being involved. It's not that hard. One game takes half the time of a football game. Get there at 6:15 and you're done by 9:15.
We're loaded JB should have no problem paying a consulting fee and expenses for Carone to come and coach them up 8)
Last edited by olldflame on November 17th, 2016, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Even when I was there during the Dunton days there were always a small but vocal group of student there every game.

I know the Layer era destroyed the fan base but basketball is so much more fun as a fan. You can participate a lot more and the Vines can get incredibly loud.
By Wvflame2013
thepostman wrote:Even when I was there during the Dunton days there were always a small but vocal group of student there every game.

I know the Layer era destroyed the fan base but basketball is so much more fun as a fan. You can participate a lot more and the Vines can get incredibly loud.
Layer pretty much made student support non-existent.
By TerraCottaGamer
olldflame wrote:
IDC what he does on the side, and I don't argue it could have been a tech issue with him not being loud enough, but either way, I don't like his voice or style.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
What!!!?? I don't think I've ever heard anybody say a negative things about Nick and how voice. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:What!!!?? I don't think I've ever heard anybody say a negative things about Nick and how voice. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
He also hasn't heard a lot of English recently either
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:What!!!?? I don't think I've ever heard anybody say a negative things about Nick and how voice. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
That's a statement I can relate to, but I think I can still remember what the language is supposed to sound like Anyone who can listen to Nick's work and not think he is a top notch pro at what he does has a problem with their EARS!
By TerraCottaGamer
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
That's a statement I can relate to, but I think I can still remember what the language is supposed to sound like Anyone who can listen to Nick's work and not think he is a top notch pro at what he does has a problem with their EARS!

I am not at all questioning his professionalism or his abilities and skills in anyway. And it is obvious he is way more skilled than the football guy. But I simply don't like his voice or inflections.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well,you only have 15 posts. I don't like the way you type! 8)
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]