If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlameFan11
Looks like there will be a Red vs Blue Scrimmage on October 28th at 6pm. Free admission. First chance to check out this year's squad in person. Not sure if it will be streamed on LFSN.

My guess is they will even up the teams as much as possible as opposed to 1st 5 vs 2nd 5. I really think we could play up to 10 guys in the rotation this year.

1 - Cabbil w/ one of Chen,Pacheco,Barmore
2 - Dawson,Reid
3 - Kemrite, Gardner
4 - Homesley,ETalbert
5 - Baxter Bell, JTalbert

This is my guess at the early season starting 5 and their subs. I think Kemrite will find his way into the starting lineup due to leadership, dirty work-talking, taking charges. However, this leaves our starting 5 lacking size. Could see Gardner start, move one of the Talbert boys in or both depending on the opponent.

One definite log jam is at point guard. Plus Dawson will probably see some time there. Any chance we see a redshirt from Pacheco or Barmore?

The scrimmage will be nice to see how guys have progressed this off-season. 23 more days until the season tips off.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As far as starters are concerned, my only difference in opinion is Gardner over Kemrite I don't see Reid playing much at G if any Cabbell, Dawson, Chen, Pacheco and Barmore can all play either the point or the off guard, and I expect all those 80 minutes will be distributed to that group Reid will be in the mix at F when we want an offensive spark

Not a fan of developmental redshirts in general, but Pacheco is a possibility, especially if either of the walkons, Hiepler or Farquar, are playing well enough to be that 5th guard in the rotation (which usually is only needed in event of injury or foul trouble anyway) I think Barmore is too good not to play this year His ballhandling could be key against a pressure defense like UNCA's
By FlameFan11
There are definitely some battles going on right now for minutes, which is great for any program. A guy like Reid or Kemrite could really be fighting for time. Definitely those guard minutes are going to be tough to get. Dawson will be playing 30+ minutes a night but other than him it could be a lot of guys around 20. Roster depth helps in so many ways but particularly for a 3 point shooting team. Having fresh legs late in games will be nice.

I think Gardner will get huge minutes and most likely will be in the starting lineup at some point. Coach McKay round 1, no doubt a starter right away. Coach McKay round 2, learning the defense may keep an experienced guy in there. That is also why I feel Pacheco might get the nod over the more offensive Barmore. It really is a nice problem to have and should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Still no mention of a secret scrimmage yet. We usually have one or two every year. The red/blue will be nice but won't show much as far as rotations. Looking forward to seeing the guys on the court.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I can read the box score, but how did Gardner look?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interesting that Dawson and Kemrite barely played I suppose Ritchie figures he pretty much knows what they bring to the table The 3 players who did not leave the floor were Reid (who was hot) Gardner and Ezra Talbert The last 2 probably were largely because Baxter-Bell was not available Hope he is OK
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I can read the box score, but how did Gardner look?
He definitely looked like he belonged on the court. His body makeup is similar to the Talbert brothers. He is definitely athletic, and has range that extends to the 3 point line.

Caleb Homesley and Scottie James were the eye-openers from the scrimmage. Homesley looks like he's ready to take the leap towards an all-conference performer, and James will definitely be a big contributor when he's eligible next season.
By FlameFan11
Caleb is definitely ready for a break out year. Biggest jump for players is usually Fresh to Soph.

Freshman shot the ball well in their limited attempts. Ezra scored well but only had 1 rebound in 24 min and struggled with Scottie inside. Gardner rebounds which is going to get him minutes over Reid/Kemrite at that other wing spot plus he can create shots for others more than those guys. Looks like John and Caleb will be on the court a lot. AC still loves shooting in the Vines. Hope Myo is alright. 11 days to get healthy.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]