If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i saw winthrop doing this on their board and i liked it.

a new player will be posted everyday and you guys can talk about what they will bring to the team this year.
Class: R-Freshman
Position: F
Height: 6-9
Weight: 215

2006 (Fr.): Received medical redshirt for injury to his right ankle … named to the Big South Presidential Honor Roll
Last edited by LU'sbestmanager on October 27th, 2006, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
i think tyler will help out alot this year. his outside shot is prob. the best on the team. this kid can stroke it! he has really good ball handling at 6'9. his size should create match up problems in the big south.

side note: Tyler was the 3rd ranked player in the state of New Mexico
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully in addition to his shooting, he can bring some defensive intensity and some boards. That's the most pressing need heading into this season from Tyler considering our personnel.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
you guys don't have anything to say about my man tyler??
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
he's gonna be great

8)
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
lol :lol: i guess you guys havent seen much of him
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
# 3 in the state of New Mexico???? What is the population of New Mexico again :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:he's gonna be great

8)
I think I may have read that somewhere.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I have really not seen Tyler play in a long, long time. When he was a frosh he came up for some early classes and he and Woodson exchanged some smack but Woodson had a lot of respect for his game. I think he will be fine. I just hope he is getting healthy and won't rush back into playing too soon. There are just way too many unknowns before the season starts for us to have a strong opinion on any of these guys except LB, Smitty and Brew. Also I think PBow has some thoughts about my man Dominique Jones :wink:
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
it should be good when i get to those guys... im going down the roster
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
I'm glad you liked my concept on the Winthropfans board Manager...It's interesting to see what people have to say about each player so I felt it was a good topic to throw out right before the season starts.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But we still don't like the Big South. :P
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
good thinking. it was a great idea. i think you guys got alot more responses though.. it could just be because tyler did't play last year. oh well, we'll see what happens with the rest of the guys
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Yeah..it'll depend on the player, and the day. It's hard to say much about a player that you haven't seen take the court. Like I don't expect much discussion on the player that I put up today (freshman Rainer Blickle)...but who knows.

As for Tyler, what position will Dunton be using him at? Power forward? Small forward?
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
it's not for sure yet, but his game is at the 3(small forward)

he's going to be really good for us down the road for sure
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
I think Tyler will eventually be good as well. Having not seen him play either, I'm not sure what to expect. A 3point shot would be nice. We can always use a hard nosed player like Nathan Day, maybe he'll bring that.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I just don't see it.

He doesn't play defense and he's soft. He's Doug Stewert, part two.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
in doug's defense, he was playing out of position due to the lack of big men we had. doug can hoop.. tyler is only a freshmen, and has 4 more years of growing. he put on some weight in his red-shirt season so maybe he will bring some toughness. he is always a gym rat so i don't even doubt an improvement from him year by year

that's a good body at the 3
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:I just don't see it.

He doesn't play defense and he's soft. He's Doug Stewert, part two.
Agree. At that size I can't say "Playing out of position" is an excuse. If you are going from a #2 guard to a #1 then you have issues. 3,4,5's are about all interchangeable these days. With a lot of motion offense and fb teams now there just is not a true "5". Are you a 7'3" guy playing the wing? Then you might be "Playing Out of Position" a person who can't knock down a perimeter shot on the wind? ditto. I have found the "Playing out of position" excuse to mostly be by people who can't adapt to their personel. Not too many high school coaches think that way. They play with the hand they are dealt. College coaches can have a rash of injuries and they have to adapt. Some of you old folks can help me with the name, but a few (10) years back a team lost their stud and went from a walk up offense to a run and gun and made a nice tournament run. The sacred Hoosiers, post Alford, had a few injuries and in comes Brian Sloan. Does nothing but set picks to get their ONE shooter open. He was 6'9" playing CENTER in the Big Ten.
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
DANG sorry guys been outta the forum game for a min. Tyler Baker? GONNA BE GREAT... Great kid... i think he will be amazing down the road but GREAT this season. Coach can play him at te 3 as a shooter but he can also play him at the 4 and bring some big men outta the paint. Defense, Hes straight. Hes gotten a lot bigger but MUCH MORE STRONGER. Im not saying he can hold some of the great big men out of the paint, but he will be able to battle with them enough to get some quality minutes. I, like Scar, havent seen him play in a while, but after he came back a few months ago he was about 80% and the kid was a stud playing with the guys. Down low and out top. Hes a warrior and knows how to play under the basket and outside. He will be fine. NOT THE NEXT DOUG STEWART
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
we were waiting. What took ya so long :lol: :lol:
Registration Days Posts
Yeah im sorry, but seeing the error of my ways in what ive missed, ill do my best not to let it happen again cause i know you enjoy my opinions so much... Especially Scar ::cough cough let down cough cough::
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
OK TBGBG,

That is wrong to put me on that Liberty Letdowns list man :lol: You have to give me until 2007 alumni game to make up for my Alumni game performance....And yeah you need to stay on this board more often so you don't miss threads like this.
Registration Days Posts
haha well i already started the fire of Doug Stewart making you the let down of the week, but ill do my best to have him to hold off till next year
By LUFlamer09
Registration Days Posts
[quote="TDDance234"]I just don't see it.

He doesn't play defense and he's soft. He's Doug Stewert, part two.[/quote]

I think that's pretty bogus of a statement. First off Doug Stewart had potential to be a good player for us but didn't seem to put any of that together in the 2 years he played. I think that Tyler is a better all around player as well as possibly the best "shooter" on the team right now. He just needs to work on getting his shot off and I think we'll have a good player on our hands. Not to mention he shows some intensity which I never saw from DS. That comparison is just silly.
2024 Season Thread

Nice breakdown. Sounds like a promising class

2025 Recruiting Discussion

https://www.aseaofred.com/2025-cb-uriah-points-com[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Ben Southerland is going to Wright State. A bit of[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

I'll just leave this here: https://www.gazettenet[…]