If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I saw Hayden play a couple weeks ago. He was stronger and more athletic than I expected him to be. I talked with his parents and they had great things to say about the entire coaching staff. He really wanted to be at LU, but it did not work out.

It is my understanding that Brendan does not have a scholarship and will be coming to the school as a preferred walk on and will likely work out with the team during a redshirt year.
By Jonathan Carone
SumItUp wrote:It is my understanding that Brendan does not have a scholarship and will be coming to the school as a preferred walk on and will likely work out with the team during a redshirt year.
This makes me happier than giving him a scholarship right away.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Gives him a chance to get acclimated to the college game, work with the team and get into the flow with the team without feeling like he has to contribute right away...awesome move on his part and Coach McKay
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Gives him a chance to get acclimated to the college game, work with the team and get into the flow with the team without feeling like he has to contribute right away...awesome move on his part and Coach McKay
Ummm. He's Red Shirting. No one red shirting is thinking they have to make an immediate contribution
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Most definitely Jon...even once he comes off his redshirt year in 2018 he would be coming into almost a glut in the frontcourt as well. That will be a good time to develop his strengths and improve his weaknesses (which sounds Captain obvious I know) as well as help with chemistry within the flow of the offense as I think I mentioned above.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I was told both parties could null the NLI if agreed upon before the end of the signing period. I think it ended yesterday though.
There is (or at least used to be) an NCAA appeals process. I think if LU releases him from the NLI the NCAA will grant a waiver.
Of course it makes playing at LCA #awkward
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUnpretty11 wrote:Does he want to leave/decommit?
Good question, although it looks like that assumption is being made It obviously would be uncomfortable for him on one level, but it would also be less pressure on him in some ways as well When he committed his quote was "there is no better coaching staff in the world" Maybe a bit overstated, but the staff hasn't changed, and neither have most of the things he loved about the school
By FlameFan11
I am pretty sure that he was going to be a non-scholarship player. Not sure if as a child of an employee there was reduced tuition which obviously wouldn't apply at this point. I know oldflame worked out the scholarship situation on a previous post in the past.

We will graduate Chen whose scholarship would go to Elijah Cuffee. If Dawson doesn't get his additional year, that scholarship goes to Keegan McDowell. There are no other scholarships available unless a current scholarship guy does not return. There is usually some roster changes but we also have Brendan Newton coming. Even if he redshirts as expected, he would be on scholarship as well.

That being said, I think Barber will still come to be with the coaching staff that has a history with his family. Also, he has developed a relationship with Cuffee as classmates. Still think he ends up in the program.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:I am pretty sure that he was going to be a non-scholarship player. Not sure if as a child of an employee there was reduced tuition which obviously wouldn't apply at this point. I know oldflame worked out the scholarship situation on a previous post in the past.

We will graduate Chen whose scholarship would go to Elijah Cuffee. If Dawson doesn't get his additional year, that scholarship goes to Keegan McDowell. There are no other scholarships available unless a current scholarship guy does not return. There is usually some roster changes but we also have Brendan Newton coming. Even if he redshirts as expected, he would be on scholarship as well.

That being said, I think Barber will still come to be with the coaching staff that has a history with his family. Also, he has developed a relationship with Cuffee as classmates. Still think he ends up in the
program.
Per SumItUp, who has very reliable sources, Newton is actually coming as a preferred walk-on I might add that there has still been no announcement on his signing and the early period has come and gone Good point on Jay being teammates with Cuffee this year Also, having committed as early and firmly as he did, I suspect his other options may be limited, as schools like Brown, which had early interest, have moved on
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Elijah Cuffee has been stuffing the stat sheet for LCHS so far this season Averaging 19 points, 12 boards and 7 assists, with a rare triple double in a 32 minute HS game

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Elijah Cuffee has been stuffing the stat sheet
Maybe the greatest WV guard prospect since Jerry West (how's that for hyperbole?). Play Basketball
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
olldflame wrote:Elijah Cuffee has been stuffing the stat sheet
Maybe the greatest WV guard prospect since Jerry West (how's that for hyperbole?). Play Basketball
Bimbo Coles
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Bimbo Coles
He literally has his own sign on the WV Turnpike: "Home of Bimbo Coles" and then something about him being an Olympian (of course, Jerry West has his own sign on the turnpike, too).
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]