If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone have an update on Escobar? It's a log jam at the 3/4 right now with the possible addition of Rose.

Interesting with Scottie James. His mom works for Liberty, wonder if he gets free tuition and doesn't count against the scholarship limit?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Does anyone have an update on Escobar? It's a log jam at the 3/4 right now with the possible addition of Rose.

Interesting with Scottie James. His mom works for Liberty, wonder if he gets free tuition and doesn't count against the scholarship limit?
If she is a full time employee with full benéfits then he qualifies. This is a case that might raise an eyebrow or 2 in Indy, bit I think it would hold up under scrutiny as long as there is no indication that her employment is tied to his transferring. If that is in fact what is happening here, we are starting to put together a pretty impressive lineup of players who are not taking up scholarships.
Last edited by olldflame on April 4th, 2016, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I believe she is as she's a professor at the school making him eligible. Only explanation to host two transfers in recent weeks or Jt told Liberty no thanks.
I don't believe Jt gave no indication yet so.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:I believe she is as she's a professor at the school making him eligible. Only explanation to host two transfers in recent weeks or Jt told Liberty no thanks.
I don't believe Jt gave no indication yet so.
Makes sense, and I highly doubt Escobar has made a decisión yet.
ballah09 wrote:Does anyone have an update on Escobar? It's a log jam at the 3/4 right now with the possible addition of Rose.

If he is recruited as a scholarship athlete then he'll count against the scholarship limit even if getting a free ride from his mom or a full academic scholarship. See Doug McDermott in his final year at Creighton. He went off scholarship so they could add another player but had to pay tuition even though he could go free because of his dad being employed there.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
But if he transfers in knowing he will not have an athletic scholarship, I don't think you can say he was recruited as a scholarship athlete. It's a different situation than McDermott's.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:But if he transfers in knowing he will not have an athletic scholarship, I don't think you can say he was recruited as a scholarship athlete. It's a different situation than McDermott's.
It's only different if he isn't recruited at all or is only recruited as a walk-on.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
olldflame wrote:But if he transfers in knowing he will not have an athletic scholarship, I don't think you can say he was recruited as a scholarship athlete. It's a different situation than McDermott's.
It's only different if he isn't recruited at all or is only recruited as a walk-on.
If he is not offered an athletic scholarship, he is a walkon. That does not mean he cannot utilize whatever financial aid he qualifies for. I'm quite sure our staff is familiar with the rules. Why would we offer a scholarship to an athlete we could get "for free"?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
41% from behind the arc will get any coach's attention especially for a 6' 7" wing. He's tall enough to be disruptive on defense in Coach McKay's system.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
If he is not offered an athletic scholarship, he is a walkon. That does not mean he cannot utilize whatever financial aid he qualifies for.
Yes, this I know, it's exactly what I have been saying. Please pay attention.
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
olldflame wrote:Getting back to Rose, he had a much better Freshman year than either James or Escobar, albiet for a weaker program in a weaker conference.
SoCon weaker than the Big South? :dontgetit
I think he was referring to Rose coming from a weaker conference than James and Escobar. The SoCon is definitely not the SEC and I think the MVC is still better competition than the SoCon.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
soccer7 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
olldflame wrote:Getting back to Rose, he had a much better Freshman year than either James or Escobar, albiet for a weaker program in a weaker conference.
SoCon weaker than the Big South? :dontgetit
I think he was referring to Rose coming from a weaker conference than James and Escobar. The SoCon is definitely not the SEC and I think the MVC is still better competition than the SoCon.
That is in fact what I was referring to. The MVC is ranked 13th in RPI compared to 19th for the Southern. FYI the BSC is 25th out of 32, just ahead of the WAC.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'll say it. this kid looks like he's 12

that's my analysis
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:He would be a counter. There is legislation on the table right now to change that on both the men's and women's side.
Would that be because he was on an athletic scholarship at Bradley? If so, they really do need to change the rule.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have to say that the more I think about it the less excited I am about Rose. He has similar size and skills to Gardner but not as athletic or talented Pretty much the same comparison with James, although probably more equal. Having 3 such similar players and 2 of them sitting a year seems counter productive, especially when we need schollies for 2017. I'd rather get a grad transfer.big man like Andre Washington or JJ N'Ganga. They both were offered by DL and are now available. N'Ganga would be a great fit, but missed the whole season at New Mexico with an injury, so they would have to have that checked thoroughly.
By FlameFan11
I'm exactly with you oldflame. Felt this way from the beginning. Could be that we are preparing a back up plan to injury or something else but personally would rather see a different position addressed with the scholarship.

It sounds like James is looked at as more of a 4/5 with his body and maybe they see Rose as a 2/3. RMK mentioned in his comments that he wanted to get to work with James in player development. My guess is to improve physically as well as skill level to play more of the 4. Here's hoping for a grad transfer big man to help us out this season.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We lost out to LIPSCOMB??? :frustrated :banghead
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]