If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Flames Nation News wrote:According to ESPN's Jeff Goodman, Maxwell has narrowed his list to Baylor, Virginia Tech, and Boston College.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Evan has talent, and obviously size, but he also has some significant limitations. I imagine all those coaches got a good look at the Notre Dame video, where he was impressive against some very good bigs, but he struggled guarding more mobile guys and turned it over a LOT when double teamed. In a different defense that might not matter as much. RMK's determination to maintain a high standard for his player's behavior is impressive.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Hansel is transferring to The Master's College, a NAIA school in CA. Hanky was coach there for several years back in the day.. Looks like a great fit for Hansel. Faith based school, and if they play a typical uptempo NAIA style, it should suit his game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have to give Ritchie props for being consistent. I don't know the specifics as to what Evan did that led to his being dismissed, but all indications are it was not anything that jeopardized his status as a student at LU. Same with Theo, who is graduating this Spring and may well end up at a high major program as well next year. I can't believe RMK didn't see the same things in Maxwell's game that led him to be offered by at least 4 HM coaches and end up at one of the legendary programs in college basketball. Evan may not have been a perfect fit for this system, but clearly this wasn't about basketball.

The other side of the argument is, what about mercy? What about second chances? Reportedly Theo was given an opportunity to make the changes he needed to make to stay on the team and chose not to. I don't know about Evan. I think it is possible to go overboard with a legalistic approach, but I really don't see McKay as being that kind of man or coach. For the time being at least, I trust his judgement.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Flames Nation News wrote:Maxwell to transfer to Kansas

http://www.libertyflamesnation.com/evan ... to-kansas/
:shock: :shock: :shock:

He has talent without a doubt, but I have to admit I :dontgetit

Tough to beat Manson to the punch. I had just found this and thought I would have "breaking news". Crybaby
Some where Greg Ostertag is smiling
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Reading between the lines LU isn't 'big' into post player development and Kansas has a big interest in his brother
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Reading between the lines LU isn't 'big' into post player development and Kansas has a big interest in his brother
Brother Seth's basketball career seems to be following a similar path to Evan's. Limited minutes for his HS team with a better opportunity to show his ability in AAU ball. I don't think he has done anything in either to inspire "big" interest from an elite program like KU, but they, along with a lot of other teams, will no doubt be checking him out this summer.

I didn't read what you did about post player development at LU, but I know for a fact that in a year under RMK and Henry Barrera Evan went from a pillsbury doughboy who got gassed after 2 or 3 minutes to a relatively ripped starter who averaged 10ppg, broke a school record for FG% and now has a scholarship at Kansas. Sounds like development to me. One thing we don't read between the lines or otherwise is anything about the fact that he did not have the option to continue his career at Liberty.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Reading between the lines LU isn't 'big' into post player development and Kansas has a big interest in his brother
Brother Seth's basketball career seems to be following a similar path to Evan's. Limited minutes for his HS team with a better opportunity to show his ability in AAU ball. I don't think he has done anything in either to inspire "big" interest from an elite program like KU, but they, along with a lot of other teams, will no doubt be checking him out this summer.

I didn't read what you did about post player development at LU, but I know for a fact that in a year under RMK and Henry Barrera Evan went from a pillsbury doughboy who got gassed after 2 or 3 minutes to a relatively ripped starter who averaged 10ppg, broke a school record for FG% and now has a scholarship at Kansas. Sounds like development to me. One thing we don't read between the lines or otherwise is anything about the fact that he did not have the option to continue his career at Liberty.
You need to work on you reading skills Study He spent most of the article talking about he could be developed as a post player. He didn't mention how much he matured and deveped as a player at LU.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:

You need to work on you reading skills Study He spent most of the article talking about he could be developed as a post player. He didn't mention how much he matured and deveped as a player at LU.
Which brings the question "why didn't he?", because even a rank amateur fan like me can see he is a totally different player now than he was a year ago. Did he do it all by himself?

I am happy for Evan. He definately has talent, and the system at KU is no doubt a better fit for his game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I agree he is a much better player now than when he first arrived on the mountain. But 90% was conditioning. He had pretty solid fundamentals
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Talk about a range of talent on LU's team last year: we lose 2 players who transfer out--Atencia goes to NAIA Master's College in CA, and Maxwell goes to Big 12 KANSAS!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The NCAA needs to tighten down on transfers
Too many across the board in most all sports.
If the NCAA were to put any more stringent restrictions on transfers than they already do (requiring the player to sit out a year before they can play for their new team) they would face a flood of lawsuits, and they would LOSE. That would be too much for even their deep coffers to absorb.

But this thread isn't about transfers in general. It's about Hansel and Evan. Neither of them had any choice but to transfer. Hansel did not have his scholarship renewed because he demonstrated last year he cannot play at the D1 level (at least not in this system) and Ritchie helped him find a place where hopefully he can. Maxwell was dismissed from the team for disciplinary reasons. They are both better off where they are, and our program benefits from 2 scholarships they can give to players who hopefully can both contribute to the team and follow the rules.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
bballfan84 wrote:isn't masters college where former assistant coach Chuck Martin is?
He was there for 8 years until this happened

http://www.signalscv.com/archives/116144/

He is now back in Alaska coaching HS ball

http://www.frontiersman.com/sports/chuc ... ef3ba.html

That took a bit of hunting. There are at least 3 Chuck Martins who are currently or have coached college ball. One is an assistant at Indiana.
By youngflamer
Evan was playing great ball and had a great upside. When the conference schedule began, McKay cut back his playing time and then we had no inside game. Then we lost by more than 30 points when it really mattered in the tournament. Kansas, one of the top programs in the nation, must think he's that good.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:Evan was playing great ball and had a great upside. When the conference schedule began, McKay cut back his playing time and then we had no inside game. Then we lost by more than 30 points when it really mattered in the tournament. Kansas, one of the top programs in the nation, must think he's that good.
His playing time got cut when opponents adjusted to the fact that pretty much nobody in the BSC could guard him straight up, and started double teaming him every time he touched the ball. He did not adjust well to being the focus of the defense and in addition to his scoring going down, he started turning it over A LOT. His difficulty in guarding more mobile opponents also was exposed. Those 2 things together led to reduced minutes. I think with 20/20 hindsight, it's likely his losing his starting job and having minutes cut even more in the last 2 games was at least partly disciplinary.

Let's make sure everybody is clear on the fact that Evan did not transfer because he was unhappy with his role, either last year or looking forward. He transferred because he did not have the option of returning due to violation of team rules. I think we all recognized his talent, but I must admit the level of interest he had from high major programs, and especially Kansas, took me by surprise. This is a guy who had ONE D1 offer out of HS, the one from Liberty, which he got after DL and his staff got a good look at him when he came to our camp. I'll be following him with interest starting in 2017.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Let the speculation begin. Will Maxwell move back home and play at Clarks Summit in PA, where his dad is a professor? Play Basketball
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]