If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Paging LFN or Damien...pick up the red courtesy telephone if you please
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hansel isn't a surprise considering he really didn't play much after Dawson came in and didn't show himself to be an asset on offense OR defense
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That was my other point...Maxwell really started to come around after that slump he went into.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I think we all expected the Atencia transfer base don his lack of playing time and the PG sitution this fall. Evan comes as a bit of a surprise to me. Wondering if he is getting closer ot home or even to Summit where his dad teaches.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
he had his moments but I fully expect Ritchie to grab a late veteran 2/3. His system clearly loves the open floor and threes. Talbert was getting more minutes towards the later part of the year so you see what he wants to do. I don't see Maxwell benefiting from it next year so I don't blame him for transferring. I also don't see this hurting Liberty.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Gotta say I didn't see Maxwell leaving, although I have a feeling Ritchie will smile when/if he realizes that we will have noone on next years roster who cannnot shoot the 3.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Bases on the somewhat cryptic post SumItUp made a couple of weeks ago in another thread, I am now wondering if both of these may have been coach's decisions.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
This actually gets me excited. I am comfortable with Coach's talent evaluation and am excited to see what pieces he adds. I fully expect this to happen again next year and maybe the next as he upgrades our talent. I am also confident these athletes will find good opportunities for themselves in other programs.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:This actually gets me excited. I am comfortable with Coach's talent evaluation and am excited to see what pieces he adds. I fully expect this to happen again next year and maybe the next as he upgrades our talent. I am also confident these athletes will find good opportunities for themselves in other programs.
Maxwell in particular should be able to go in a lot of directions, including possibly high major programs. I wouldn't be surprised though if he ends up back home in Clark's Summitt. He could definately be a program changer there.

I really hope Hansel finds a place he can both play ball and be as happy as he appeared to be at Liberty. Great kid.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Maxwell leaving is a little surprising, however, as a defensive post presence, he came up a little short, no pun intended. Cabbil had more blocked shots than he did, I think, and was not a dominant rebounder at 6'10". When are guards got beat on the drive there was no post presence to to help defend.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Atennia seems to be a good kid but it was clear quickly that he couldn't play at this level. If rmk can find a big that fits our system better I think it's fine. As stated earlier he wasn't a good defender shot blocker or rebounder. He did score the ball well and that's nothing to dismiss. His play dropped off big time once Dawson was eligible. My guess is he looked for a better fit that allows him to showcase his strengths better. Again, I would be shocked if we don't bring in someone that might not have as much talent but is a better fit.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Maxwell leaving is a little surprising, however, as a defensive post presence, he came up a little short, no pun intended. Cabbil had more blocked shots than he did, I think, and was not a dominant rebounder at 6'10". When are guards got beat on the drive there was no post presence to to help defend.
Maxwell blocked 6 shots last year. 6'3" 149 lb Lovell Cabbel had 10 and 6'4" Caleb Homesley led the team with 14. We definately could stand an upgrade in the rím protection area.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Also I saw Clanton hughes recruitment might be reopened after central Florida fired their coach.
He's waiting to see who they hire. Similar player to Gardner. I'm not so sure having both would be a good thing.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
No.

1. Curry was a unique situation.
2. These two did a great job for us but this is somewhat normal in today's college basketball. Also given we are in rebuilding mode some shuffling of the roster was to be expected for the next year or two.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
youngflamer wrote:Didn't this same thing happen when McKay was here before. Curry and several other good players left. Could it be the coach?
I'd like to add...h*** no. Are you checkmate v9999.0?
By FlameFan11
Personally surprised that Maxwell is not returning but as mentioned, this is the college basketball landscape that we live in. We will have to wait to hear what the reasoning was behind the transfer. My opinion is that he was unhappy the last half of the season as his minutes were reduced significantly even to the point of not starting the last two games. He played against the incoming class during the fall visits and might have felt that it would be more of the same for his final two seasons. I think he would have benefited from the incoming guys who would have given him much more space to operate. His improvement last year was encouraging and we could have used his size, especially in the non-conference portion of the schedule.

This is definitely not a coach problem. If so, nearly every program in the country has the same issue. It could be something totally unrelated to basketball for all we know. Kids transfer. It is normal. I agree with ALA that this is likely to continue. As you bring in talent, only so many guys can get minutes. Once they get out of the rotation, like Hansel this season. they decide to move on. No big deal. Best of luck to two guys who are great young men. I hope they both find a good situation for the future.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]