If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By FlameFan11
Saw this interview with Coach McKay last week from Game on LU. Was more of a season recap but he was specifically asked about Maxwell around the 5 minute mark and hardly mentioned him moving on to the Talbert brothers and Baxter-Bell when talking about post depth. Interesting to see the interview back now. Here is the link to the interview.

http://www.gameonlu.com/video-gallery/?videoID=229
By Kiwon
FlameFan11 wrote:Saw this interview with Coach McKay last week from Game on LU. Was more of a season recap but he was specifically asked about Maxwell around the 5 minute mark and hardly mentioned him moving on to the Talbert brothers and Baxter-Bell when talking about post depth. Interesting to see the interview back now. Here is the link to the interview.

http://www.gameonlu.com/video-gallery/?videoID=229
I didn't get the same vibe. Coach McKay was just answering Warner's question. Maxwell's game grew quite a bit last season. He seemed to have a good attitude and work ethic. The guy was hardly a liability and I can't imagine that McKay wouldn't want to have him to develop for another two years.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
At the end of every season the coach sits down with each player individually and gives them their report card. The fact that both these players announced at the same time, one wonders if they did not "pass" and/or did not like the feedback offered at that meeting.
By Flamerz
Maxwell didnt have plans on leaving he really had no choice.... In a nutshell he Hung out with the wrong people and made a bad decision and was gonna get kicked off the team so he transferred.

Atencia cant and wont get any minutes behind cabbil and dawson. Maybe he can go to a D2 and get some run.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't know why but that kind of surprises me about Maxwell. Hopefully, if true, he can get a fresh start elsewhere. He has some talent and showed glimpses early in the year. I wish both guys nothing but the best.

It's a shame this has become the norm throughout college basketball.
By Kiwon
thepostman wrote:It's a shame this has become the norm throughout college basketball.
Without getting into any specifics regarding Maxwell, just in general, what are some offenses that would get a starting player kicked off the team at LU rather than just suspended? I would have to imagine it's a very short list.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That last part was in reference to players transferring, not so much getting kicked off the team.

As far as getting kicked off the team I would imagine it is a pretty short list. Especially since Maxwell wasn't every in much trouble before this that we know of anyways.

But at this point who knows if it is even true.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Who are these "wrong people" that our players have been getting suspended or kicked off the team for hanging with? Students? If they are that bad, how are they still in school at Liberty? :dontgetit
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Who are these "wrong people" that our players have been getting suspended or kicked off the team for hanging with? Students? If they are that bad, how are they still in school at Liberty? :dontgetit
Off-Campus living is the Liberty Vegas.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
You can do that but anybody that lives on campus can tell you stories of kids who sign out to "mom and dad" or some relative and they actually go to some college party and get hammered or go hookup with a coed or any number of other things and then come back as if nothing happened...and not every RA checks up on whether they actually are where they signed out to or not
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
good kids make mistakes or get caught up in the wrong crowd for a couple of years..it happens...Kiwon lets burn him at the stake!!!!
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
surprised to see how naïve some of you guys are...there are good and bad kids at EVERY School...even Christian schools...you wouldn't believe what I saw when I was player back in the era of the name I must not mention.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't think anybody is surprised by this kind of thing anymore but there was literally nothing out there about Maxwell having any kind of issues. That is why it caught me by surprise that it may have been due to something he did. I still haven't heard any credible confirmation on it. No offense to the guy with a Dawson man crush...
By FlameFan11
I don't think anyone is going to post details and they shouldn't but the situation for Maxwell was how it has been portrayed. I think it caught everyone by surprise. These last points are true. Christian school or not, these are young adults who are finding their way in life and sometimes make wrong choices.

One other thing to consider is that the school may have only a certain # of rules to cause dismissal that are different than the team player rules put to the players by this staff. I think with Theo and now Evan that Coach McKay is setting the tone for what he wants the program to be, especially off the court. Character is a priority not just by their words but also by their action. No staff wants to see talented guys like this leave but certain things are more important, especially to a new coaching staff rebuilding a program. Everyone wants the best for Evan who is a great kid with a bright future. I also think allowing a potential future head coach on campus to meet with Evan was cool. Not sure many programs would handle it that way.
By FlameFan11
Flamerz wrote:Maxwell didnt have plans on leaving he really had no choice.... In a nutshell he Hung out with the wrong people and made a bad decision and was gonna get kicked off the team so he transferred.

I'm saying make it two posts. This is what happened.
By FlameFan11
It is tough to lose Evan especially with his improvement this last year. I agree that we lack a true post presence but who is this team lacking size compared to, especially in the Big South? We will still have guys at 6'9, 6'8, 6'8" 7'0", 6'7". 3 of them will be freshmen and 1 6'8" will have to sit this season for transferring. Given the fact that UNCA won the BSC tourney, will probably be the favorite next season and didn't play a guy over 6'6", I don't think lack of size will hurt us in conference at all. Look how much Evan's minutes decreased in conference. He couldn't guard his position which unfairly or not was usually a shorter, quicker athlete. Now out of conference against the bigger teams, I think lack of size could definitely be an issue.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:
Flamerz wrote:Maxwell didnt have plans on leaving he really had no choice.... In a nutshell he Hung out with the wrong people and made a bad decision and was gonna get kicked off the team so he transferred.

I'm saying make it two posts. This is what happened.
Ok then
By lawrenceq
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:Given the fact that UNCA won the BSC tourney, will probably be the favorite next season and didn't play a guy over 6'6", I don't think lack of size will hurt us in conference at all. Look how much Evan's minutes decreased in conference. He couldn't guard his position which unfairly or not was usually a shorter, quicker athlete. Now out of conference against the bigger teams, I think lack of size could definitely be an issue.
You are right. When you meet the big boys in non-conference and tournament play, you will need size in the paint or decent athletes that aren't bothered by the length and size difference. You have to make them work to give yourself a fighting chance. I think the pack line will keep them in games but they need a bruiser or two in the paint that can make some plays.

Look at a team like Yale to get my point.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I don't care about details but nobody with any kind of credibility has confirmed it. Just one random poster.
I am about as credible as its gets however I cant share details on this one...he is leaving so take that as your answer
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
why do people keep saying they can't share any details?? Nobody cares about the details. Clearly there are many people who know it was a discipline related issue and that sucks that is why it all went down.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]