If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
So after reading another one of ballcoach's pronouncements on another thread, it got me to thinking as the 2015-16 season is disappearing in or rearview mirror:

After seeing how we overachieved with a bunch of underclassmen with RMK, and not knowing anything about our non-conference schedule for next year, what do you think are your early expectations for how we do next year?

Contrary to our candidate for Captain Obvious, I probably think we have a +2 or +3 overall improvement in win total (which would put us aroung 15-16 wins) as we continue to build this program. We have a good nucleus with Dawson, Maxwell, Talbert and Cabbill, Atencia hopefully gets his confidence up after some time with his national team this offseason. We have some very solid recruits coming in as well that I am interested to see.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I think we would probably have had 2-3 wins more this year if Dawson had played the entire season. So, barring a rash of sophomore slumps, I think 18 wins is realistically possible.
By FlameFan11
Whenever their is a coaching change, I always like to look ahead to the next season since the initial season are mainly the departing coach's players. Since Coach McKay decided to clean house and start from scratch with all young guys who seemed to completely buy in, I feel that by the end of the year most of these guys were also now his guys. Many schools would see a lot of transfers after year 1 with a new coach but I don't think we will have to deal with that.

To answer the original question of expectations.....the schedule is a huge factor to win/loss record as well as staying healthy but my expectation for next season is to go .500 in the non-conference and win 2/3 of our games in the Big South. That should put us at around 18-20 wins which would be excellent for year 2 with this staff and the youth of our roster. Hopefully that would also put us in the Top 4 in the BSC and set us up for a nice run in the conference tournament.

I feel like the incoming class really compliments this current squad and will fill some areas of weakness as well as provide much needed versatility, size and depth to the roster. The size/length will help us on the defensive side of the ball continue to develop the pack line and rebound better. The roster depth should allow some fresher bodies on the defensive side as well. Offensively, we will still be a heavy 3 pt shooting team but with the added depth I hope we push the tempo a little more. With the added size, we won't be Maxwell or bust. Hopefully we can get a few more touches inside and get a few more offensive rebounds than the 6 per game we avg this season.
By Flamerz
flamehunter wrote:I think we would probably have had 2-3 wins more this year if Dawson had played the entire season. So, barring a rash of sophomore slumps, I think 18 wins is realistically possible.
If the full lineup player the whole season this team would have won at least 4-5 more games. Give them a summer together to build and develop it'll be a 3 team race with UNCA, Winthrop and Liberty next year. High Point losing John Brown after his 10 years of college should be a minor setback for them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Not sure where this fits but pat Kelsey is a finalist for the jmu job.
So much for the Winthrop dynasty Realist and some others had proclaimed. The first sniff of success they have post Marshall, and the coach wants out ASAP.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
National Championship or bust.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Being facetious I hope because that is aiming a little bit toward Neptune with those expectations don't you think?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Troy Harper leaving campbell (13.5 points per game ,teams second leading scorer as a freshman), and Jorege Perez-Laham leaving highpoint (junior guard, averaged below 3 points per game),
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:Big news with UNCA's Dewayne Sutton transferring. Tough loss for them and will definitely have a big impact on the Big South race next season.
Sutton is transferring to Louisville :shock:

A bit of a risky move on his part, but apparently Pitino was impressed. Wish him well.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
FlameFan11 wrote:Big news with UNCA's Dewayne Sutton transferring. Tough loss for them and will definitely have a big impact on the Big South race next season.

A bit of a risky move on his part, but apparently Pitino was impressed. Wish him well.
Also, UNCA's Dylan Smith is transferring to Arizona. He was their leading scorer last year.
blog-wilson-to-play-sports-dylan-smith-picks-arizona
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
olldflame wrote:

Also, UNCA's Dylan Smith is transferring to Arizona. He was their leading scorer last year.
blog-wilson-to-play-sports-dylan-smith-picks-arizona
:shock: I hadn't heard about Smith. I actually feel sorry for McDevitt. How do you recruit for retention at Asheville? Not a lot of ballers hanging around the drum circle at the hippie communes. He has done a great job of getting players there, but at some point recruits are going to pick up on the fact that all the good ones want to leave ASAP.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Man...Ashley getting her bachelors and TWO master's degrees is an achievement, but this is on another level. That would probably require a borderline hellacious schedule combining residential AND online classes
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Or like most of the kids I am working with thes edays, theybasically have a bachelor's degree before stepping on campus as a freshman. Dual credts + CLEPs + online = Fast Track to BS.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Or like most of the kids I am working with thes edays, theybasically have a bachelor's degree before stepping on campus as a freshman. Dual credts + CLEPs + online = Fast Track to BS.
That plus all summer sessions while working out with the team. This is not your average kid. If you have ever watched "Deadliest Catch" , Calvin has been crewing on his dad's boat in those waters since he was like 14 years old. Taking a big class load while practicing and playing probably seemed like a walk in the park to him.
By FlameFan11
We are finally getting a feel for what most of the roster's will look like for 2016-17. I'm sure there will be a late signee/transfer or two. At the end of the season and with Coastal leaving the BSC, I felt next season was going to be UNCA, Winthrop and hopefully Liberty at the top of the conference.

Asheville took 3 serious hits to their chances with graduation and the transfers of the two freshmen Sutton/Smith. They were the defending conf tourney champs but that has to be in jeopardy at this stage. However, it looks like they are bringing in a big group of guys including talented scoring guard MaCio Teague. Here is an article breaking down their signees for next season. http://www.uncabulldogs.com/ViewArticle ... =210934290

Winthrop loses Jimmy Gavin but return the majority of their key contributors with 5-7 Keon Johnson, 6-8 Xavier Cooks and 6-8 powerhouse Okeke inside to go with experienced depth. If I had to guess, they will be the preseason #1 squad next year.

High Point suffers big losses to graduation. Their top 3 scorers with be gone in BSC POY John Brown, Weary and Cuigini. The cupboard isn't bare but you have to expect a little bit of a drop off for the Panthers.

Liberty lost only one senior to graduation in Anthony Fields but lost Evan Maxwell who transferred. The recruiting class so far seems to be the top of the conference but the team will still be young with no seniors on the roster.

I'm sure there will be a surprise team popping up but it really feels like we should be in the hunt for the conference title this upcoming season. What do you guys think? Are we ready to compete with a team like Winthrop for a trip to the NCAA ? Are we still a year away? No doubt Liberty will not be picked last in the preseason rankings this year. Love that the expectation level has changed so quickly. Can't wait for November!
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
FlameFan11 wrote:

I'm sure there will be a surprise team popping up but it really feels like we should be in the hunt for the conference title this upcoming season. What do you guys think? Are we ready to compete with a team like Winthrop for a trip to the NCAA ? Are we still a year away? No doubt Liberty will not be picked last in the preseason rankings this year. Love that the expectation level has changed so quickly. Can't wait for November!
Liberty will be a top 3 team in the BSC this year. Would not be surprised if they win the BSC tournament, so I don't think you are too far off. For the first time in a very (very very) long time, I am equally as excited about basketball season as football season.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You combine what LU brings and everyone else lost they certainly should be in the mix
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]