If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am still wondering why tourney is in Bluies Creek.
We can all agree that it's a hick town with little to offer. It is however fairly centrally located in the BSC footprint and the facility is nice, new and a good size for what they are likely to draw. We know you think they all should be in Lynchburg, so I'm not sure why I bother, but those are a couple of pretty good reasons.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think that is supposed to say since they returned to the Big South...because I believe we also beat them for our first ever BSC championship in 1994
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I think that is supposed to say since they returned to the Big South...because I believe we also beat them for our first ever BSC championship in 1994
They definate!y won 2 games to reach the final against is in 94, but they a!so won the tourney in 92. Billy Lee was the coach back then. He was quite a character, and was famous for his trademark red suspenderá.
Last edited by olldflame on March 2nd, 2016, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Manson fixed it :-) I know its being nitpicky, but yeah, details and facts matter.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I think that is supposed to say since they returned to the Big South...because I believe we also beat them for our first ever BSC championship in 1994
They definate!y won 2 games to reach the final against is in 94, but they a!so won the tourney in 92. Billy Lee was the coach back then. He was quite a character, and was famous for his trademark red suspenderá.
Also for tearing his coat off and throwing it when he got upset. They should have never let him go. I always thought he would be a pretty good fit at LU as an assistant or possibly a HC. His players/teams almost always overachieved. Plus he had the worst facilities by far in the league, a real cracker box, in the middle of nowhere.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
We can all agree that it's a hick town with little to offer. It is however fairly centrally located in the BSC footprint and the facility is nice, new and a good size for what they are likely to draw. We know you think they all should be in Lynchburg, so I'm not sure why I bother, but those are a couple of pretty good reasons.
I would think lodging could be an issue, but when only 8 or 900 show up for a game...
Last edited by rogers3 on March 3rd, 2016, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
olldflame wrote:
I would think could be an issue, but when only 8 or 900 show up for a game...
I think the facility is about the same size as Coastal's, and I don' t think there was ever an issue of that being toó small in a location that obviously has a lot more to offer in drawing fans to spend a few days.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:[

I think the facility is about the same size as Coastal's, and I don' t think there was ever an issue of that being toó small in a location that obviously has a lot more to offer in drawing fans to spend a few days.
Sorry, olldflame, but I somehow left out the all-important key word of my comment- lodging. I've edited it now, but if we drew 3-4,000 per game it wouldn't be held in Buies Creek. There aren't enough amenities to handle those kind of crowds.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's a problem I don't anticipate the Big South Tourney facing anytime soon. If they do, then we look at Greensboro or Charlotte to host. We have a number of conference tounaments here in Houston including Southland & SWAC simply because of the capability of handling whatever the smaller leagues can throw at a host site.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
If LU gets into the championship game in the next year or so, it will take a bigger place than 3-4K. LU travels well as most of you know. When the tournament has held in the Burg, there were many games with decent crowds. When LU got to the finals the Vines was almost full. I would like to see that happen again soon.
I can remember 2-3K fans outside the Vines waiting for the game to begin and a mad rush to get the best seats, an hour before game time.
Last edited by flameshaw on March 3rd, 2016, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I remember the 04 championship game we had...I think 8,500 people crammed into the Vines. I still hate that I was on the road during that one
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I remember the 04 championship game we had...I think 8,500 people crammed into the Vines. I still hate that I was on the road during that one
I was there. That was the BEST LU game I've ever attended.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The abí!ity of LU to draw big crowds to the Vines if we ever hosted again is exactly the reason we probable never will. Also, in games Liberty is not playing , 1 or 2 hundred people in a place that big makes for a horrible game atmosphere and looks awful on TV. In the event that at some future time there may be more demand for BSC tourney tickets tban seats in the venue, some people who want to won't be able to attend. Happens all the time in some other conferencies. I don't think that day is nigh.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am biased, but still I think every BSC tournament in every sport should be at LU. We have the best facilities. Also have best lodging/eating and other things that go with hosting a tournament.

Softball may be the most puzzling. We have 2nd best stadium in the entire nation, yet no tournament.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:I remember the 04 championship game we had...I think 8,500 people crammed into the Vines. I still hate that I was on the road during that one
I was there. That was the BEST LU game I've ever attended.
Ditto. I was front and center looking like an idiot painted red and blue with a red shirt on my head and I loved every second.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am biased, but still I think every BSC tournament in every sport should be at LU. We have the best facilities. Also have best lodging/eating and other things that go with hosting a tournament.

Softball may be the most puzzling. We have 2nd best stadium in the entire nation, yet no tournament.
Umm, I think there are many who'll say that Rock Hill (thanks to its proximity to Charlotte), Charleston and Asheville can compete w/ Lynchburg rather easily on lodging, eating and other things.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]