If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

University of North Carolina at Asheville
Asheville, North Carolina

UNCA Hoops Official Site

Nick McDevitt
3rd Season as UNCA Head Coach

2015-2016 Schedule/Results
  • Overall ....... 19-11
    Big South ... 12-6
  • Nov 13 - @ Tennessee ........................................ 78 - 82(L)
    Nov 15 - @ Western Carolina ............................... 81 - 90(L)
    Nov 18 - Mars Hill .............................................. 84 - 51(W)
    Nov 21 - @ Texas A&M ........................................ 47 - 75(L)

Great Alaskan Shootout in Anchorage
    Nov 26 - vs. Drexel ............................................. 85 - 66(W)
    Nov 27 - vs. Middle Tennessee .............................. 61 - 63(L)
    Nov 28 - vs. Loyola Chicago .................................. 59 - 48(W)

Dec 05 - Johnson & Wales .................................... 103 - 36(W)
    Dec 13 - Campbell* ............................................. 80 - 60(W)
    Dec 15 - East Tennessee State ............................... 84 - 64(W)
    Dec 19 - @ Georgetown ........................................ 79 - 73(W)
    Dec 21 - Elon ...................................................... 81 - 86(L)
    Dec 29 - Furman .................................................. 67 - 65(W)
    Dec 31 - @ Longwood* .......................................... 70 - 61 (W)
    Jan 02 - @ Liberty* ............................................... 76 - 69(W)
    Jan 06 - Winthrop* ............................................... 85 - 84(W)
    Jan 09 - @ Charleston Southern* ............................ 83 - 73(W)
    Jan 14 - @ Radford* ............................................. 86 - 91(L)OT
    Jan 16 - Gardner-Webb* ........................................ 75 - 69(W)
    Jan 20 - @ High Point* .......................................... 69 - 73(L)
    Jan 23 - Presbyterian* .......................................... 67 - 55(W)
    Jan 27 - @ Coastal Carolina* ................................. 66 - 68(L)OT
    Jan 30 - Longwood* ............................................. 88 - 74(W)
    Feb 03 - Charleston Southern* ............................... 63 - 55(W)
    Feb 06 - @ Campbell* .......................................... 81 - 71(W)
    Feb 11 - Radford* ................................................ 59 - 60(L)
    Feb 18 - @ Presbyterian* ...................................... 70 - 61(W)
    Feb 20 - @ Winthrop* ........................................... 80 - 81(L)
    Feb 25 - Liberty* ................................................. 73 - 56 (W)
    Feb 27 - Coastal Carolina* ..................................... 81-79 (L)

Key Players
    #10 Kevin Vannata
    6' 2" 180 lbs Sophomore Guard
    Thru 30 Games: Averaging 11.8 Pts, 4.3 Rebs & 2.6 Assists + 32-of-88 (36.4%) on 3-Pt Attempts

#24 Dylan Smith
    6' 5" 170 lbs Freshman Guard
    Thru 30 Games: Averaging 13.5 Pts, 2.6 Rebs & 1.7 Assists + 67-of-206 (32.5%) on 3-Pt Attempts
When I first heard that CCU had earned the 3 seed by beating UNCA yesterday I was disappointed we wouldn't be playing the beach chickens Friday, but being a "glass half full" guy, I have done a 180 on that. Obviously the Bulldogs have had our number this year, but if Ritchie can pull another rabbit out of his hat and find a way to beat them in the 6 days we have to prepare, I really like our chances to win it all. We would likely face HP in the semis and then either Winthrop or Coastal in the final. We have a 4-1 récord against those 3 teams.
Not a Scott Cherry or HPU fan, but always respected how Brown conducted himself on and off the court. A shame his college career had to end the way it did.

Four straight regular season titles for HPU, and they most definitely won't be in the big dance for the fourth straight year as well, more due to Cherry being a crybaby clod than Brown's injury.
g-webb1994 wrote:Not a Scott Cherry or HPU fan, but always respected how Brown conducted himself on and off the court. A shame his college career had to end the way it did.

Four straight regular season titles for HPU, and they most definitely won't be in the big dance for the fourth straight year as well, more due to Cherry being a crybaby clod than Brown's injury.
I guess I missed something. Is Brown injured?

Never mind. Right foot injured Thursday. Same one he broke as a Freshman.
Buies Creek, NC is a weird place to have a D1 NCAA Conference Basketball tournament.

Having played UNC-A and lost 2 times, we should have an excellent scouting report on them. time to rest the legs and time to prepare a good game plan.

Also there's an ole saying in sports: "it's hard to beat a team 3 times in one season"

I like LU's chances in this one.
They didn't just beat us twice, they pretty much dominated.both games. I' ve never bought into the "hard to beat a team 3x " mantra, especially if the first 2 were not close. I'm not really optomistic about Friday's game, but it we can pull it off, I like our chances to win it all.
Asheville plays some pretty good defense rotating from man to man to 1-3-1. They are probably one of the shortest teams (starting 5) in BSC. Their losses in BSC all within a couple points. We need to pound it low when they go into the 1-3-1 and set solid screens in their man to man to free up our 3 point shooting and pray we make another 17 Play Basketball
JK37 wrote:Isn't Buies Creek only like a half hour from Raleigh? That's not so bad.
It is at least an hour to Raleigh and in the middle of nowhere. Last time I was there, which admittedly was 5 years ago, there wasn't even a place to buy a sandwich. Great golf course though.
olldflame wrote:They didn't just beat us twice, they pretty much dominated.both games. I' ve never bought into the "hard to beat a team 3x " mantra, especially if the first 2 were not close. I'm not really optomistic about Friday's game, but it we can pull it off, I like our chances to win it all.

In part I disagree.

We were definitely dominated by UNCA this past Thursday (02/25/2016) -- I saw and watched the game. But I also saw and watched the first game (01/02/2016) against UNCA, and I don't think that I would say exactly that we were 'dominated' by them. UNCA is a good team, and was the better team in the first game against us. But at that juncture in the first half of the season, we (Liberty) were still in that long losing skid and fog unable to crank out a win or catch a break. However, we only lost to UNCA by 7 points. That's sort of revisionist to suggest that we were dominated and destroyed by UNCA (01/02/2016). I remember that first UNCA game and thinking with surprise and relief that we actually didn't lose to UNCA by a huge margin. The first half of the season was indeed dark and grim at the beginning of the New Year. Though this Liberty team were definitely still playing hard and never gave up on the team philosophy, rebuild, coach, or each other.

Jan 02 - 2:00 PM UNC Asheville* ................................ L 76-69
Feb 25 - 7:00 PM @ UNC Asheville* ............................. L 73-56
BJWilliams wrote:So are you already pencilling in UNCA for the semifinals olldflame despite your earlier post in this thread?
Your reading comprehension leaves something to be Désired BJ. Go back and read it again . I like our chances to win it all IF we can get by UNCA, but that will require we do a much better job against them than we did in the regular season. We clearly do not match up as well against the Asheville versión of the.Bulldogs as we do the ones from Boiling Springs.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]