If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Flamerz
thepostman wrote:
Flamerz wrote:I hated the last play calls..

But Maxwells gotta make a layup if not let #22 take the shot he was hot.
Dude that was the perfect play call. You couldn't of asked for a better shot it just didn't fall.
Maxwell has been a bright spot on our team but lets be honest hes missed a bunch of bunnies right under the rim all season including more than one last night. I wasnt shocked when that one didnt drop is all im saying. You shouldnt have been either.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It was a great play call. Dawson was being covered so tightly on the inbound play it would've been a terrible idea to try to force it to him.

He has missed a number of layups but he has also made a ton too so I still think it was a good play call and others who are much smarter basketball minds than I seem to agree.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:

Dude that was the perfect play call. You couldn't of asked for a better shot it just didn't fall.
Agree. First off, conventional coaching wisdom says to go for 2 and overtime at home and 3 to win or lose in regulation on the road. Getting a layup for a 65% shooter is exactly what you want.

If it were up to Flamerz, I think Dawson would take every shot. He had a good game, but shot 8-17. I wouldn't call that "hot".
By FlameFan11
Tough loss last night. Always hard to be ahead the entire game and take a loss. Still a lot of good to take away. Excellent growth in the student section. I think they have proven that if the team is competitive, they will come out. I expect that only to grow into a great home court advantage the next few years.

I have no problem with the final play call. In fact, I liked the fact it was non-traditional and showed good preparation by the team and staff. We missed a high % shot. It happens, especially to young teams. Tough, close losses are sometimes the very best teachers. Love the fact we had a meaningful game and were right there.
By Flamerz
olldflame wrote:
thepostman wrote:

Agree. First off, conventional coaching wisdom says to go for 2 and overtime at home and 3 to win or lose in regulation on the road. Getting a layup for a 65% shooter is exactly what you want.

If it were up to Flamerz, I think Dawson would take every shot. He had a good game, but shot 8-17. I wouldn't call that "hot".
Every shot no but would he have took the last shot yes. Last time he did that we beat High point. So I can live with that.

Sorry if I'd want my best player taking the last shot. I thought that's what happens in basketball.
were still in a good position moving forward.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Teams now know that Dawson is the go to guy in that situation and he will not get even a half-way open look. Smart coaching sets up alternative plays, one of which nearly worked to perfection last night.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I think the posted attendance was 2,800--for a school night. And the students had a new cheer that sounded something like "Yep, Yep, Yep" that kept getting faster the more times they shouted it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That play was set up to look for Dawson first when that pass wasn't there they went with their second option. It was a fantastic design. If the ball had gone in you would be praising it I love Dawson and he has hit some big shots this season but coaches aren't stupid they aren't going to let him beat them in that situation. Even in the big south.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:I think the posted attendance was 2,800--for a school night. And the students had a new cheer that sounded something like "Yep, Yep, Yep" that kept getting faster the more times they shouted it.
Like this?

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I believe I would have gone for the win with a 3.
You just confirmed my belief he did the right thing.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:I think the posted attendance was 2,800--for a school night. And the students had a new cheer that sounded something like "Yep, Yep, Yep" that kept getting faster the more times they shouted it.
Like this?
YES!
By Flamerz
thepostman wrote:That play was set up to look for Dawson first when that pass wasn't there they went with their second option. It was a fantastic design. If the ball had gone in you would be praising it I love Dawson and he has hit some big shots this season but coaches aren't stupid they aren't going to let him beat them in that situation. Even in the big south.
Very True..
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]