If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Flamerz
Wow we are on a 7-Game Winning streak after losing 12 in a row!!!

Has this ever been done before in Division 1?

RMK has gotta be a COY Candidate (I wouldnt say lock yet) and can this team really make some noise in March (As going deep in the Big South Tournament) not the NCAA Tournament?
Last edited by Flamerz on February 13th, 2016, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Flamerz wrote:Wow we are on a 7-Game Winning streak after losing 12 in a row!!!

Has this ever been done before in Division 1?

RMK has gotta be a COY Candidate (I wouldnt say lock yet) and can this team really make some noise in March?
1. I would imagine it has been done. I'm sure someone will research that answer.
2. nope. not yet. win the conference and then maybe the first round game in the NCAA tourney then yes.
3. while i love what we are doing I don't think we will be playing basketball after the conference tourney.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Flamerz wrote:RMK has gotta be a COY Candidate
Would be a sad statement for the Big South if a coach who lost 12 consecutive games with the #206 SOS (according to KenPom rankings) got Coach of the Year
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
Would be a sad statement for the Big South if a coach who lost 12 consecutive games with the #206 SOS (according to KenPom rankings) got Coach of the Year
I will disagree but leave it to someone else to verbally shred this statement
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
The big south does suck that is true. But the improvement the team had had this year has shown this year, especially during conference play, is not even close to matched in the big south. Especially considering we all assumed we would be at the bottom of the standings.

I know that you're probably trolling but I'm bored so I thought I'd respond.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
I will disagree but leave it to someone else to verbally shred this statement
Take it easy bj.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
No. It's Iowa ......(ok close enough)
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I know that you're probably trolling but I'm bored so I thought I'd respond.
Give me the name of literally any other conference in America where a team could lose 12 straight games against, nearly half the season, and get coach of the year. Wouldn't happen. Many coaches would be fired at the end of the season if they had a 12-game losing streak.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Big south coach of the year would be conference play and in conference play we have surpassed all,expectations.

Plus I'll say it again a bit slower.

The. Big. South. Still. Sucks.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Clearly JB has a lot more patience than you do shuk. Instead of firing RMK after we lost our 12th in a row, he understood that this team needed a chance to gel and was going to take plenty of lumps, and to "trust the process". The guys bought in, and even in those losses, they showed that the potential was there for something good. Now, we are starting to see the fruit of that and its translating to wins much sooner than expected
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Not to mention this IS the youngest team in the nation with the leading returning scorer from last year who averaged 4 points a game. As of today if not COY I'm sure he'll get plenty of votes but the season is not over. The bottom line is he's done a super job. This is not the same RMK who was here before - almost everything about him and his approach to basketball is different. I for one thought this was a bad hire. But seeing the stark contrast in coaching stints is remarkable.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
There is no other coach in the Big South who could have made this big of an impact with the team McKay has. No other coach could have made this kind of a turn around. RMK is COY for the Big South.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
thepostman wrote:I know that you're probably trolling but I'm bored so I thought I'd respond.
Give me the name of literally any other conference in America where a team could lose 12 straight games against, nearly half the season, and get coach of the year. Wouldn't happen. Many coaches would be fired at the end of the season if they had a 12-game losing streak.
SWAC, nearly every year, because all they do is play body bag games pre-conference to keep the athletics department afloat.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Shuck is absoulte!y trolling here. He knows how low the expectations were for this team. Yes, coaches have been fired for having a 12 game losing streak, but not with the youngest roster in the country.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Of course he is trolling and he us probably smerking at all of us entertaining it.
Don't
Feed
The
Troll

People should learn
By FlameFan11
To answer the original question, Yes this feel like a dream. In our wildest dreams we couldn't have predicted a chance at the conference title and meaningful games at this point of the season. It has been an exciting run this last month and everything else the rest of the season is a bonus.

Good news is that this is not a dream and we finally look to be a legitimate contender in the Big South for the immediate future based on the age of this roster. We should be competing on a regular basis in the conference with this team. Now as we add pieces to this roster, hopefully it can take us to the top of the conference and help us compete during the non-conference against larger programs.

Predicted dead last in BSC by a large margin to 1 game out of 1st. Wow! What a turnaround by such a young squad. Safe to say we won't be picked last in the Big South next season.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Is this the real life? Is this fantasy?
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Is this the real life? Is this fantasy?
Nah, we are just caught in a landslide, no escape to reality. (which will probably hit us in the tourney)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If it does, who cares? We are trusting in the process and look like we are headed in the right direction

Nice Queen reference btw FFG
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:If it does, who cares? We are trusting in the process and look like we are headed in the right direction

Nice Queen reference btw FFG
well Atrain started it... and i'm going to leave my comment at that because nothing I say after that will avoid PH and Medic's "Phrasing" ridicule lol
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:well Atrain started it... and i'm going to leave my comment at that because nothing I say after that will avoid PH and Medic's "Phrasing" ridicule I chortle audibly.
Might as well -- nothing really matters anyway ;-)
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote:well Atrain started it... and i'm going to leave my comment at that because nothing I say after that will avoid PH and Medic's "Phrasing" ridicule I chortle audibly.
Might as well -- nothing really matters anyway ;-)
eh it doesn't really matter to MEEEEEEEEEEEE!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
[youtube]
[/youtube]

Which brings us to this
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]