If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop University
Rock Hill, South Carolina

WU Official Site

WinthropFans

Pat Kelsey
4th Season as WU Head Coach

2015-2016 Schedule/Results
  • Overall ..... 16-6
    Big South ... 8-3
    Road .......... 5-5

NOV 14 - HAMPTON .................................. W 102-95
    NOV 17 - TRUETT-MCCONNELL ................... W 106-78
    NOV 20 - JACKSONVILLE STATE .................. W 80-69
    NOV 24 - @ USC UPSTATE ......................... W 79-78
    NOV 27 - @ NC STATE ............................... L 79-87
    DEC 02 - @ CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* ......... W 83-82
    DEC 05 - PRESBYTERIAN* .......................... W 74-70
    DEC 08 - @ GEORGIA ................................ L 64-74
    DEC 16 - @ ALABAMA ................................ L 60-72
    DEC 19 - @ GEORGIA SOUTHERN ................ W 88-81
    DEC 22 - ALABAMA STATE .......................... W 92-84
    DEC 28 - RIO GRANDE (OH) ........................ W 116-84
    DEC 31 - CAMPBELL* ................................. L 83-90
    JAN 02 - @ COASTAL CAROLINA* ................. L 63-82
    JAN 06 - @ UNC ASHEVILLE* ...................... L 84-85
    JAN 11 - FERRUM COLLEGE ......................... W 81-63
    JAN 14 - HIGH POINT* ............................... W 86-66
    JAN 16 - LIBERTY* .................................... W 74-58
    JAN 20 - @ GARDNER-WEBB* ...................... W 71-58
    JAN 24 - @ LONGWOOD* ............................ W 82-68
    JAN 27 - CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* .............. W 97-72
    JAN 30 - RADFORD* ................................... W 87-77
    FEB 02 - @ LIBERTY* .................................. 7:00 PM

Key Player
    #5 Keon Johnson
    5' 7" 160 lbs Junior Point Guard
    Thru 22 Games: Averaging 19.8 Pts, 4.0 Rebs & 2.0 Assists + 44.1% on 3-Pt Attempts
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Lets hope the students turn out for this one and they aren't disappointed. Riding a four game win streak and then hosting #1 in the Big South should be enough to get the Vines at least half full.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Eagles have been rolling since we saw them down in Rock Hill. But I also hope the buzz around the win streak gets people to come check them out tomorrow night.
By Flamerz
If the supporting guys show up (Reid, Kemrite, Talbert) and dont let Cooks and Gavin look all conference players. Anythings possible.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Flamerz wrote:If the supporting guys show up (Reid, Kemrite, Talbert) and dont let Cooks and Gavin look all conference players. Anythings possible.
Good luck - Gavin and Cooks shoot over 50%! Gavin will be at the very least 2nd team all conference. With those two and Johnson they have a very formidable trio that most BSC teams don't have. The way we have been playing as of late anything can happen. I myself will be at the game cheering for the good guys.
By Flamerz
Chippy wrote:
Flamerz wrote:If the supporting guys show up (Reid, Kemrite, Talbert) and dont let Cooks and Gavin look all conference players. Anythings possible.
Good luck - Gavin and Cooks shoot over 50%! Gavin will be at the very least 2nd team all conference. With those two and Johnson they have a very formidable trio that most BSC teams don't have. The way we have been playing as of late anything can happen. I myself will be at the game cheering for the good guys.
:( those 2 are really good I cant lie. Lets hope for the best.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
The big key to me is if LU can stay as hot from three as they've been during this win-streak (LU is shooting 43% from three in the last four games, averaging almost 11 made threes/game). If LU can get open looks from three, it should be a good game...The hardest thing for the Flames defensively will be matching up with Xavier Cooks, he had a big game in the first meeting, and I just don't see anyone on the LU roster that really is a good defensive matchup for him.
By Flamerz
WinthropEagleFan wrote:The big key to me is if LU can stay as hot from three as they've been during this win-streak (LU is shooting 43% from three in the last four games, averaging almost 11 made threes/game). If LU can get open looks from three, it should be a good game...The hardest thing for the Flames defensively will be matching up with Xavier Cooks, he had a big game in the first meeting, and I just don't see anyone on the LU roster that really is a good defensive matchup for him.
Cooks is talk can put it on the floor, make spin moves and is a matchup nightmare for our team. Gavin is a scoring machine. I just hope we make it a contest.

And we haven't even mentioned Johnson who can go off for 35 in the blink of an eye....
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
No offense and not to be rude or demeaning, but if we win tonight, we'll move to 10-15.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:No offense and not to be rude or demeaning, but if we win tonight, we'll move to 10-15.
And considering most people were guessing about 5-8 wins this year, that makes me pretty darn ecstatic.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:No offense and not to be rude or demeaning, but if we win tonight, we'll move to 10-15.

.....and if we win tonight, that will be 7 wins in the last 9 games.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Considering where we were when the calendar turned over, and the doom and gloom and frustration that was here, I will gladly take 10-15 at this point
By Flamerz
10-15 is way better than the 3 and 30 we were heading to.

AC Reid is feeling it! 14 pts quickly.
By FlameFan11
Couldn't have had a better start. Hot shooting and all 3 front court players for Winthrop with 2 fouls and 8 minutes left in the half. oh yeah and AC Reid is ON FIRE!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Reid is perfect from the floor, and telling the boys, "hop on my back tonight, Im carrying us in this one"
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames up by 19 after a Talbert bunny and Cabbill transition 3
By Flamerz
BJWilliams wrote:Flames up by 19 after a Talbert bunny and Cabbill transition 3
I dont know who these guys are that stole the Liberty Flames uniforms. But they are Balling!!!! Up by 18 at the Half wow.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This is a very different group than the bunch that was down in Rock Hill. We are getting timely plays and weathering the flurry of shots The Eagles are delivering here in the second half.

I hope the boys can hang on and get the win, although resident chest puffer Realist wouldn't be around to finally get his crow
By Flamerz
These guys have to be one of the feel good stories in college basketball. Picked dead last in the conference. 12 game losing streak now we just won our 5th conference game in a row. If they play like this they can play with anyone.

Kemrite who didnt do much scoring was huge for us with timely rebounds and showing heart.

Maxwell with 20, Dawson with 20 and Reid with 17 (all first half) were clutch.
Last edited by Flamerz on February 2nd, 2016, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I don't know if it's changed since I went but th[…]

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]