If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Flamerz
Last time it was a packed house was Senior Night last year, Layers last game as coach its been a virtual ghost town since. But the fans have been trickling back in and the buzz around town is starting to generate people are starting to buy into what RMK is doing with this group of guys. When you come out play with heart and play good defense anythings possible and come tournament time nobody is gonna want the Flames..
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I would have made the drive from Roanoke but work kept me from doing so. I also got season tickets this year which I had never don't previously for basketball.

To put that in perspective, I didn't attend any game last year.
By Flamerz
jbock13 wrote:I would have made the drive from Roanoke but work kept me from doing so. I also got season tickets this year which I had never don't previously for basketball.

To put that in perspective, I didn't attend any game last year.
I went to Senior night last year and Rowsey torched us.... You didn't miss anything.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Man its times like this I kinda wish SCAR didn't have such a bad taste in his mouth from LFSN because Id love to hear his comments on the turnaround
By soccer7
Registration Days Posts
Coach Dot was there with her husband front row. She got pumped herself when Dawson pulled out his inner Jordan on the and one he had.
By Flamerz
soccer7 wrote:Coach Dot was there with her husband front row. She got pumped herself when Dawson pulled out his inner Jordan on the and one he had.
I think everyone lost it when channeled his airness... Play Basketball
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Amazing turnaround after the start of the season. The players have clearly bought in to what coach McKay is doing. For the first time I can ever remember (I was a freshman in '99), the future is looking bright for LU basketball.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Really disappointed in the turnout last night for a big game. We averaged probably another 2000 when Doc was there. Even in the beginning Jerry Jr. and Becky would show up and the crowds were still pretty good. Haven't seen him in at least 3 years or so yet we have a "presidential sweet" that stays empty. If LU want to fill up the Vines have Sparky lead the "L-U" chant at the beginning of the game and at crucial times of the game, find Jerry Jr. a seat to inspire the kids to show up, or even bring back Jerry Sr (per weekend at Bernie's), anything to get the kids off the machines and out of the dorms. We have twice as many residential students and yet half the crowd as we did 10 years ago. Marketing, the AD and the Administration need to be engaged in getting the support back into the vVines. I felt bad for the team last night as they played their heart out for 40 minutes against a very good and very hot first place Winthrop and there were a lot of MIAs. We should never have less than 5K students at the game and add in the 2K community patrons we should always appear fairly full. Just think how the kids would play then and how that would add to recruiting et al. IMHO.

A five game winning streak and some marketing isn't going to change to the culture. 10-15 years ago, few cared about our football program and most of our energy was invested in basketball. Since football took off, our basketball presence eroded, with the exception of Ritchie McKay's first stint which lasted about a minute. My point is that on top of becoming a football oriented school, a lot of damage has been done to the basketball program. It's going to take a couple of successful seasons and relentless marketing before this is fully turned around. It will happen eventually, but this type of attendance is going to be the norm for a while.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
Chippy wrote:Really disappointed in the turnout last night for a big game. We averaged probably another 2000 when Doc was there. Even in the beginning Jerry Jr. and Becky would show up and the crowds were still pretty good. Haven't seen him in at least 3 years or so yet we have a "presidential sweet" that stays empty. If LU want to fill up the Vines have Sparky lead the "L-U" chant at the beginning of the game and at crucial times of the game, find Jerry Jr. a seat to inspire the kids to show up, or even bring back Jerry Sr (per weekend at Bernie's), anything to get the kids off the machines and out of the dorms. We have twice as many residential students and yet half the crowd as we did 10 years ago. Marketing, the AD and the Administration need to be engaged in getting the support back into the vVines. I felt bad for the team last night as they played their heart out for 40 minutes against a very good and very hot first place Winthrop and there were a lot of MIAs. We should never have less than 5K students at the game and add in the 2K community patrons we should always appear fairly full. Just think how the kids would play then and how that would add to recruiting et al. IMHO.

A five game winning streak and some marketing isn't going to change to the culture. 10-15 years ago, few cared about our football program and most of our energy was invested in basketball. Since football took off, our basketball presence eroded, with the exception of Ritchie McKay's first stint which lasted about a minute. My point is that on top of becoming a football oriented school, a lot of damage has been done to the basketball program. It's going to take a couple of successful seasons and relentless marketing before this is fully turned around. It will happen eventually, but this type of attendance is going to be the norm for a while.
If you win - consistently - they will come. 2004 - We win the Big South in the Vines, there is energy around both football and basketball. 2005 - Karcher goes 1-10, with our last football home game being sparsely attended. Doc turns his attention to the athletics department, gets rid of the AD, some associate ADs, the tennis coach and Karcher. Danny Rocco comes in. Basketball continues to attract a good crowd for the Big South games. 2006 - Rocco's pumped energy into football, but basketball struggles due to the departures of key players. Attendance drops off. 2007 - Football still has energy, basketball continues to struggle until Ritchie's predecessor is let go.

My point is, IF you WIN and students KNOW that they're WINNING...that is what is going to get people excited. Focusing on football didn't hurt the bball program, a questionable hire after Ritchie's first stint is what has caused students to lose interest.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
JVP21 wrote:
jinxy wrote:Got to watch the team in person tonight. Maxwell looks healthy and confident again. He was impressive against Winthrop trio of bigs. He got them all in foul trouble. Dawson really is the glue that holds all the piece together. Whenever we get in trouble we look to Dawson. We actually have a well built albeit shallow talent pool. Last point. I find it awfully interesting that we've stayed almost completely healthy this year despite playing only 8 guys and there playing a ton of minutes in a rigorous defense. I think the new conditioning coach has to be playing a role in that. Layer coached teams were constantly injured.
To your last point, 2 words......Henry Barrera

The women's team needs a Henry Berrea. Our bigs can barely get up and down the court for more than 5 minutes at a time. It shows also on both offense and defense in that after 4-5 possessions there is a lot of standing around and very little foot movement, especially on the defensive side of the ball - our intensity, as it is, really falls off. :(
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
VAGolf wrote:

If you win - consistently - they will come. 2004 - We win the Big South in the Vines, there is energy around both football and basketball. 2005 - Karcher goes 1-10, with our last football home game being sparsely attended. Doc turns his attention to the athletics department, gets rid of the AD, some associate ADs, the tennis coach and Karcher. Danny Rocco comes in. Basketball continues to attract a good crowd for the Big South games. 2006 - Rocco's pumped energy into football, but basketball struggles due to the departures of key players. Attendance drops off. 2007 - Football still has energy, basketball continues to struggle until Ritchie's predecessor is let go.

My point is, IF you WIN and students KNOW that they're WINNING...that is what is going to get people excited. Focusing on football didn't hurt the bball program, a questionable hire after Ritchie's first stint is what has caused students to lose interest.

It's just sad to see that we have gone form a fairly full packed house with Doc in attendance and the LUnatics to one sole guy in the corner screeching at the opposition (MCCracken-the-box). We boxed the student enthusiasm, as it is, into a box - a small box at that :D
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think we are starting to see good things with this turnaround this year. It'll take a full season to see a.measurable difference in the crowds
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:It's just sad to see that we have gone form a fairly full packed house with Doc in attendance and the LUnatics to one sole guy in the corner screeching at the opposition (MCCracken-the-box). We boxed the student enthusiasm, as it is, into a box - a small box at that :D
Winthrop tried to pull a fast one on McCracken last night. Just before the team is announced, McCracken likes to kneel down in his box and close the lid. Well last night, once he did that, the trainer for Winthrop came over and TAPED the BOX SHUT so he couldn't get out. But I ran down and rescued the guy, so he could pop out like he loves to do.
By JVP21
Chippy wrote:
JVP21 wrote:
jinxy wrote:Got to watch the team in person tonight. Maxwell looks healthy and confident again. He was impressive against Winthrop trio of bigs. He got them all in foul trouble. Dawson really is the glue that holds all the piece together. Whenever we get in trouble we look to Dawson. We actually have a well built albeit shallow talent pool. Last point. I find it awfully interesting that we've stayed almost completely healthy this year despite playing only 8 guys and there playing a ton of minutes in a rigorous defense. I think the new conditioning coach has to be playing a role in that. Layer coached teams were constantly injured.
To your last point, 2 words......Henry Barrera

The women's team needs a Henry Berrea. Our bigs can barely get up and down the court for more than 5 minutes at a time. It shows also on both offense and defense in that after 4-5 possessions there is a lot of standing around and very little foot movement, especially on the defensive side of the ball - our intensity, as it is, really falls off. :(
^^^^^^^^^
The reason i typically only watch mens bball. JK Coach Green is my guy.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
We had some good crowds in 10-11 I believe when the basketball team was doing well.

It could have been 11-12. Whichever year we finished 2'nd regular season in the conference.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:We had some good crowds in 10-11 I believe when the basketball team was doing well.

It could have been 11-12. Whichever year we finished 2'nd regular season in the conference.
It was 10-11, the year we won our first 7 BSC games with Jesse winning POY and John Brown all conference.

I think there is a disconnect with the student body. They somehow need to be brought up to speed with the positive things going on in the program. I suspect a lot of them have no clue right now.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
They're going to have to really start pushing them in convo and hall meeting. I think. When is the next home game?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:Has JLFJR really not attended a basketball game in a few years? Something tells me that's not accurate. If it is then... :shock: :dontgetit :shock:
As a season ticket holder for 8-9 years I can say I haven't seen him in at least 3-4 years. Yet we built the "Presidential Suite". Doc was committed not just by words but by his presence at virtually every game and sat near the team where students would come to talk to him and get autographs, or whatever. I also wonder why you never hear the L-U chant that is prominent at the beginning and throughout football games. Maybe there's just not enough people there or Sparky lost the "cue cards" :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote:Has JLFJR really not attended a basketball game in a few years? Something tells me that's not accurate. If it is then... :shock: :dontgetit :shock:
I want to say we saw him at one of the games we went to last year. Granted we only went to 2 but I recall seeing him in 'the box' because we both commented on it. Granted most University Presidents don't go to games let alone sit court side, but we both felt it was the end of something special that his dad did. Hey, schmooze the big dollar folks in the box pre-game halftime and post game. Maybe a media TO. But being Courtside made a statement about connecting with the student body.
Oh well. Tomato. Tomatoe
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]